Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Samantha2008 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Losing faith
    I've been incredibly depressed for the past week on and off. I have also been thinking a lot about God and it isn't making sense to me. Now I've been a christian my whole life and all the sudden I feel like my faith is being tested. I just feel as though I need a sign from God, I know it's selfish but I need this. I can't come to peace with myself until I do. Anyone please, help me.:(
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Mar 15, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Try here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/spirit...ted-62938.html

Faith involves a relationship with God and to make any relationship stronger, you need to spend time together, communicate, as well as dispute and fight to learn about each other. So, if you feel like your relationship with God is becoming estranged, spend more time with Him, talk to Him, and discuss Him with people who love Him.

Faith is also a kind of trust without a need for proof or signs. So, if you are seeking signs and proof, your faith may be more hurt than you realise.

It is also normal for your faith to be tested because faith is very dynamic- meaning it must always be either growing or lacking or strengthening or weakening. It takes work to make sure it keeps strengthening and growing.

I wish I can be of more help but I am struggling, myself. I wish you goodluck.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Mar 15, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Talking to your pastor about these things is always a good start, and of course prayer. I don't know of to many people who haven't questioned their faith, so you are not alone. It is quite normal. I think talking about this openly with people you trust would help a lot.
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Mar 15, 2007, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Samantha2008
    I've been incredibly depressed for the past week on and off. I have also been thinking alot about God and it isn't making sense to me. Now I've been a christian my whole life and all the sudden I feel like my faith is being tested. I just feel as though I need a sign from God, I know it's selfish but I need this. I can't come to peace with myself until I do. Anyone please, help me.:(
    It's not selfish at all. Ask the Lord for a sign. Not something obvously selfish(like if you love me you'll let me win the $$$) Something like reality. Show me something uplifting so that I may inspired by you, Lord again. But don't give up. Think of Job whose faith was tested.

Mar 15, 2007, 04:47 PM
    I've been incredibly depressed for the past week on and off. I have also been thinking alot about God and it isn't making sense to me. Now I've been a christian my whole life and all the sudden I feel like my faith is being tested. I just feel as though I need a sign from God, I know it's selfish but I need this. I can't come to peace with myself until I do. Anyone please, help me.:(
    Thank you so much for all of your answers its really hard to beat faith with logic but I don't think I will be at peace with myself until I can truly be at the place I was before when I had an unshakable faith. I just question Gods existence and I know I shouldn't I really want a strong relationship with God and I find myself jealous of people who are so comfortable with their beliefs. I need God back in my life and I need to know he is there. Once again thank you so much you have no idea how much this means to me
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Mar 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
    I wish I had something meaningful to say here, but I have been in the same boat myself for awhile.

I'm not sure your age but you sound as though you might be younger, so how about a youth group, or young teens group at your church for some fellowship! Sometimes the same people your age have once had the same questions and may be able to help you through this time in your life... or maybe the youth pastor? Sometimes they are easy to talk with too!

Good luck and never give up! :)
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 07:12 PM
    I just question Gods existence and I know I shouldnt I really want a strong relationship with God and I find myself jealous of people who are so comfortable with their beliefs. I need God back in my life and I need to know he is there.
    I think there's a big difference between questioning your beliefs and losing your faith. I've found that as my faith has grown my need for certainty in beliefs has decreased. It's more important to have faith in God's goodness than to be certain of His existence.

Mar 15, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    I think there's a big difference between questioning your beliefs and losing your faith. I've found that as my faith has grown my need for certainty in beliefs has decreased. It's more important to have faith in God's goodness than to be certain of His existence.
    I don't quite understand.I think I might but I don't want to take it the wrong way.

Mar 15, 2007, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdslionjds
    maybe God is telling you that Christianity is not the right religion for you. I am of the bahai faith and maybe you should try it out.
    I am an incredibly open minded individual and I think that's what lead me to the state I am in. I mean once I finally let my mind open to other options and really considered other options other than what I've been raised on I questioned myself. Now sure when I told this to my mother her response was that this was the devil putting ideas in my head. Here I am an individual finally thinking on their own. I understand that I have a lot of time to grow and learn and eventually what is right for me will come to me. However deep in my heart I feel that this is Gods challenge to me, sort of his way in testing my faith in him and telling me that I need to be concerned with it. For the longest time I was in doubt of God but I continued to believe or be a "professing" christian but about a week ago all of these emotions came surging through and they haven't stopped. The big issue here is that, I don't know if this is making me feel better because my mind automatically feels comfort when I'm close to God but now that I've opened my mind up to logic and reality I think that maybe it's in my head. I'm so lost I just wish I could make myself believe and get this pain over with it's draggin me into a pit of depression and ruining all of my relationships.
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Mar 15, 2007, 07:53 PM
    I'm so lost I just wish I could make myself believe and get this pain over with it's draggin me into a pit of depression and ruining all of my relationships.
    Samantha,
    I believe it is time for you to talk to a religious authority like a pastor or a Father or whoever leads your worship. They will be more than willing to answer all of your questions and they have much more experience answering the types of questions and doubts you have. I wish you all the luck.

Mar 15, 2007, 08:17 PM
    Call & schedule a meeting with your pastor and if your not comfortable talking w/him, he can guide/arrange for you to speak with someone your more comfortable with. This will not offend him at all, he is there to help you in your spiritual guidance.

Good luck and I wish you the best in whatever path you decide to take! :)

Mar 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom
    Call & schedule a meeting with your pastor and if your not comfortable talking w/him, he can guide/arrange for you to speak with someone your more comfortable with. This will not offend him at all, he is there to help you in your spiritual guidance. Good luck and I wish you the best in whatever you decide! :)
    Thank you I just want to believe so bad.

Mar 15, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I know exactly how you feel! I do try to believe, but as I get to reading and debating/discussing different issues with others, sometimes its just hard to believe or even answer the questions they throw at me... I feel if I'm not "convinced", how could I convince others or be any good to my faith? Plus trying to understand others beliefs will sometimes have me questioning my own... if any of that made sense! :)

Good luck and make that call! What can it hurt? :)

Mar 15, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom
    I know exactly how you feel! I do try to believe, but as I get to reading and debating/discussing different issues with others, sometimes its just hard to believe or even answer the questions they throw at me....I feel if I'm not "convinced", how could I convince others or be any good to my faith?! Plus trying to understand others beliefs will sometimes have me questioning my own.....if any of that made sense! :)

Good luck and make that call! What can it hurt? :)
    You're very right, I guess it can't do any harm. Thank you very much.
    Will144 Posts: 32, Reputation: -4

Mar 17, 2007, 09:42 PM
    Only God can help you. Have you ever heard about Mother God? I'm sure she can help you. According to the bible we have a Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother:) Let me know if you want more details in regards to this. Your spirit is seeking the truth and can't find it. That's why you feel so depressed.

Mar 18, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Will144
    Only God can help you. Have you ever heard about Mother God? I'm sure she can help you. According to the bible we have a Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother:) Let me know if you want more details in regards to this. Your spirit is seeking the truth and can't find it. That's why you feel so depressed.
    More details please, Im confused.Thank you so much you all really have no idea how comforting it is to me.
    Will144 Posts: 32, Reputation: -4

Mar 19, 2007, 10:42 PM
    More details please, Im confused.Thank you so much you all really have no idea how comforting it is to me.

Please e-mail me. [email protected]
    Barrabas Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Hi Samantha, I have a son who is now 1yr and 5months, and he's now learning to walk on his own... lots of stumbles and bruises, believe me. I was there when he took his first step, with me guiding and holding him through every step he made - assuring him that I will be there to catch him with those young and weak legs of his. A few more weeks passed and he became more "aggresive" in taking those steps, so i had to distance myself a bit but holding him once i see that his steps begin to shake. When that time came that I knew he could support himself already, i had to let go, but positioned myself in front of him - i knew he was a bit anxious, knowing i was not there to hold him, what I did was smile on him and coax him to take those steps, slowly but surely he walked until he was in my arms. Now, he can completely walk on his own, run at times, with stumbles and bruises still - and I can see the joy on his face as he tires himself with this simple feat... and you could imagine the joy it brings to a father to see those beautiful steps. All these, because I had to let go

Do you see?
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2007, 04:46 AM
    You are simply doing a little reflecting. It's perfectly normal.

Real faith is knowing that no matter what happens you will be okay.

Go with the flow. Don't beat yourself up so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My faith is being aggressively tested. [ 11 Answers ]

Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have grown closer and closer to my God. Recently, I needed His help. When I had no other thing or person to turn to, I held on to my faith that He will not abandon me in my time of need. Even as disappointments threatened my hope, I held onto Him even more. As friends...

Faith Healers [ 23 Answers ]

Hello all, Does faith Healers really heal people? Here is my take on it, what is your opinion? First an examples about faith Healers" A South Carolina, U.S.A. faith-healing session called a “healing explosion” has resulted in a lawsuit against two Texas faith healers. A North Carolina...

Faith [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone have any advice on having faith? Faith to make it through a rough time? Faith that all will be well in the end? A scripture? Kind words? Anything? How do you cope? Please.

Bad faith [ 7 Answers ]

How do you handle a contract where you are a independent contracter for 3 years in which the people in the contract are supposed to have you on there insurance for those three years. And I paid a surcharge every day for those three years for the insurance then after a accident I found out I was...

Have a little faith love will come to you [ 3 Answers ]

Need singer/ actual title to this 1950s vaguely CW song. Sounds like Slim Whitman, singer breaks into sort of a yodel in chours: You played a game/ got caught you should take it with a grain of salt have a little faith and love will come to you You may be lonely/ you may be blue your one...

View more questions Search