Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 08:03 PM
    Breeding cockatiels. To do, or not, that is the question.
    You all know that I have a small zoo. I also have birds in my blood. My Opa (grandpa) bred cockatiels and budgies. He taught me everything about breeding, and most of the birds I had in my life where from him.

I now have a cockatiel, Marty. She's sort of a rescue, given to us by a guy that works with my husband. She was from a very good breeder, hand raised, very tame. The guy bought her for his son only to find out that his son is allergic to birds. Even then it took him a year before he decided he had to find her a new home. When he did make that decision there was only one person he could think of to give her to. Me (I used to work with him a long time ago, long before hubby did).

So now we have Marty. She's a very rare color, so rare in fact that sexing her was impossible (cockatiels are sexed by their coloring). The breeder had no clue whether Marty was male or female. The co-worker thought she was male since she never laid eggs (birds lay eggs even if they're not bred).

Well we took care of a friends male parrot for 4 days, had him in the same room as Marty, and shortly after he went home, Marty laid her first egg. That was a few years ago.

She now lays eggs every month. Here's the concern. A female bird that's not bred will continue laying eggs, one after the other. The risk is that her uterus can fall out. Literally fall out. The only solution to this is to push the uterus back in, put in a stitch, and hope that it doesn't fall out again. Most times it does, the next time she lays an egg. It's a death sentence.

A bird that is bred lays less eggs, because she's busy rearing her hatchlings. A bird that is bred will lay eggs around 2 times a year, which is a lot better than every month.

So, long story short (okay, not so short) breeding her could save her life. So I'm seriously considering buying a male and breeding my Marty. Not only could this prevent her dying, but she'd have a mate, a friend, and frankly, I have so many animals that I really don't get to spend the one on one time with them that I'd like, so this would really be a great thing for her.

The problem is, I'm scared. I do know a lot about breeding, used to breed finches, but I've never actually bred a cockatiel. They're not as easy as finches. I'm afraid to make a mistake, I'm afraid of losing my Marty, and honestly, once we get the male I know I'll love him too, and when the babies hatch, I may not be able to get myself to find them homes. I could end up with more birds than I'm prepared to have.

I need a few tips. Anyone out there that's bred cockatiels? Any advice? I do know the basics, but putting what I know into practice, is a bit scary. Also, finding a male is proving to be a lot harder than I thought it would be. I'd like a rescue if at all possible.

Any tips would be appreciated. Sorry for rambling.
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 08:37 PM
    Bumpity bump bump.

Anyone? Am I the only cockatiel expert here? That can't be. :(
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
    Have you ever heard of giving her a fake egg? I have heard that works for birds that can't seem to stop laying eggs..
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
    She has given her a fake egg and she seems to know it is fake. Alty is concerned as she is laying so many eggs so close together. What a shame that there is no medication that will stop this urge or need in females to lay eggs. I have been discussing this with her for quite a bit today and was shocked there is nothing a vet can do.
    You can't take your female in either to get her fixed so she will have no eggs to lay either. The poor female birds what they go through for their lifespan.
    Pets Expert

Dec 31, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Have you ever heard of giving her a fake egg? I have heard that works for birds that can't seem to stop laying eggs..
    Lucky, we tried that, we even tried leaving her eggs in her cage longer, to fool her into not laying another. It doesn't work. She lays at least once a month. This month it's been every week. :(

I wrote to the humane society, and even though they will not let me adopt a rescue for breeding purposes, which I completely understand and respect, the person that wrote to me did tell me that I'm 100% right. The only way to stop her from continuously laying, is to breed her. I was sent a bunch of links on why I shouldn't breed (not for the birds health, or because of over population, but because they have to try to dissuade me from breeding, which again, I understand). All the links were things I already know, and all the tricks to get her to stop laying are things I've already tried. So really, breeding her is the last option.

There is no other remedy. There's no fix for this. It's really sad. Someone has to come up with a way to sterilize a female pet bird. I don't want to lose her simply because her body keeps producing more eggs. :(

Here's the truly funny part. There seems to be a shortage of cockatiels in my area. I can't find a single one in rescue, I can't even find one on kijiji for owner surrender. Nothing. In fact, we went to a few pet stores, not to look for a bird, but when we were doing Christmas shopping, and there weren't any cockatiels for sale in any of them. Budgies, finches, canaries, even a dove, but no cockatiels. So finding her a mate won't be at all easy.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Dec 31, 2012, 05:28 PM
    I wish you were here in the U.S. For $30 you can rescue a cockatiel.
    Pets Expert

Dec 31, 2012, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I wish you were here in the U.S. For $30 you can rescue a cockatiel.
    I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The more I look into this, the more I think I'm doing the right thing. But it's hard. I'm so against breeding. But frankly, no one has given me any other option to save Marty's life, and that's literally what breeding her will do. :(

My daughter is really excited about this. In fact, she wants to pay for our new feather baby, when and if we find him. She wants it to be her bird baby. :)

Maybe this is what's meant to be.
    Pets Expert

Dec 31, 2012, 06:01 PM
    Yikes, I just looked up cockatiel breeders in my area (registered breeders) and there aren't any! Not even one!

Finding a male is proving harder than I thought it would be. :(
    Education Expert

Dec 31, 2012, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The more I look into this, the more I think I'm doing the right thing. But it's hard. I'm so against breeding. But frankly, no one has given me any other option to save Marty's life, and that's literally what breeding her will do. :(

My daughter is really excited about this. In fact, she wants to pay for our new feather baby, when and if we find him. She wants it to be her bird baby. :)

Maybe this is what's meant to be.
    Are you near any U.S. state? Is it OK to take one home with you?
    Pets Expert

Dec 31, 2012, 06:51 PM
    Are you near any U.S. state? Is it ok to take one home with you?
    I'm not. I'd have to drive for over a day to get to the nearest US border. :(

If I could get to the US, I'm not sure of the laws regarding taking a bird back. I think the bird would likely have to be quarantined. :(
    Education Expert

Dec 31, 2012, 07:15 PM
    I'm not. I'd have to drive for over a day to get to the nearest US border. :(

If I could get to the US, I'm not sure of the laws regarding taking a bird back. I think the bird would likely have to be quarantined. :(
    :(
    Pets Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 11:04 AM
    Good news.

We're getting our new addition tomorrow. I placed an ad on kijiji looking for a mate for Marty. I got a call today from a lady that took in a male cockatiel a few months ago from a church member. The bird had lost his mate, and she had two tiels of her own so she agreed to take him in in hopes that her two would accept him and he wouldn't be lonely anymore.

It didn't work. Her two are an established couple, and they didn't want a third wheel. They picked on him, pecked at him, and now he's still lonely, sad, and abused by the other birds.

The only concern is that he isn't tame. He was used mainly for breeding before his mate died. But, I can work with him. Marty is very tame, so I'm sure that will help.

The current owner says that he bites, he hisses, he's very nervous around humans. I'm okay with that. I've been bitten by angry birds before. ;)

So we pick him up tomorrow. He'll be in quarantine in another room for at least a month. After that I'll put his cage beside Marty's and see how they react to each other. Once I see them getting along, I'll let them have play dates. So, if everything works out, Marty should have a cage mate within a few months. It takes time and patience. :)

By the way, the new bird is named Beau, and he's a grey cockatiel. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 11:12 AM
    I've been bitten by angry birds before.
    That would be a terrific name for a computer game -- Angry Birds!!

Glad Beau has found his forever home!
    Pets Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That would be a terrific name for a computer game -- Angry Birds!!!!!!

Glad Beau has found his forever home!
    Me too.

I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about this. It's been a long time since I had to tame a bird. Marty was already very tame when we got her. I've tamed birds before, but never one as old as Beau. I know it can be done, I just hope I manage to do it. He's been through a lot the last few months. Poor little bird boy.

I will be getting his wings clipped, just to make taming him easier. I hate doing it, and never normally clip my birds wings, but it's really for his own safety and will make him easier to tame. Now I just have to find someone to do it. I can, but I don't like to. It's not easy to clip a birds wing if the bird doesn't already trust you. This is going to be very stressful for him, but in the long run it's the best for him right now. I'm hoping I can find someone that's willing to come to my house and do it. I'll have to look around.

My main concern is that I get him, go through everything to tame him, and then introduce them and they hate each other. It shouldn't happen. Birds are flock animals, they like to be with their own kind. But Marty has always been alone, and Beau has been in a relationship, had his wife die, and then got thrown in with another couple that treated him horribly. He may be a bit weary of other birds right now. I'm hoping he can warm up to Marty, and she can warm up to him.

Another concern is that once they're a couple, they will belong to each other. Birds are funny, they pick one person/bird and that's they only one they'll go to, the only one they want to be with. Right now I'm Marty's person. If it all works out, Beau will be her new one and only, which will make her less tame. In other words, I'll be replaced. :(

But it's all for the best, both for her, and for Beau.

Is it weird that I already love him, and I haven't even met him?
    Education Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 07:41 PM
    Me too.

I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about this. It's been a long time since I had to tame a bird. Marty was already very tame when we got her. I've tamed birds before, but never one as old as Beau. I know it can be done, I just hope I manage to do it. He's been through a lot the last few months. Poor little bird boy.

I will be getting his wings clipped, just to make taming him easier. I hate doing it, and never normally clip my birds wings, but it's really for his own safety and will make him easier to tame. Now I just have to find someone to do it. I can, but I don't like to. It's not easy to clip a birds wing if the bird doesn't already trust you. This is going to be very stressful for him, but in the long run it's the best for him right now. I'm hoping I can find someone that's willing to come to my house and do it. I'll have to look around.

My main concern is that I get him, go through everything to tame him, and then introduce them and they hate each other. It shouldn't happen. Birds are flock animals, they like to be with their own kind. But Marty has always been alone, and Beau has been in a relationship, had his wife die, and then got thrown in with another couple that treated him horribly. He may be a bit weary of other birds right now. I'm hoping he can warm up to Marty, and she can warm up to him.

Another concern is that once they're a couple, they will belong to each other. Birds are funny, they pick one person/bird and that's they only one they'll go to, the only one they want to be with. Right now I'm Marty's person. If it all works out, Beau will be her new one and only, which will make her less tame. In other words, I'll be replaced. :(

But it's all for the best, both for her, and for Beau.

Is it weird that I already love him, and I haven't even met him?
    So happy for you and for Beau!!
    Pets Expert

Jan 31, 2013, 10:42 PM
    So happy for you and for Beau!!!!!!!!
    Thanks TJ. The more I think about it, the better I feel about it. I know this is the right thing. I can't wait to pick him up tomorrow. Everything is set, Marty's old cage is washed and put together, ready for Beau. I'm excited. :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 1, 2013, 06:10 PM
    Beau is home.

I called the vet before we went to pick him up, to ask if they do wing clipping. I figured it would be easier to do it right away, it would mean one less car trip, and all the stress in one day, so he doesn't have to stress out again later. That wasn't going to happen today, but while I was on the phone, I told the vet about Beau, and that I'd be quarantining. My vet asked why. I told him I had read that you should. I told him Beau's history, and the vet said that I didn't need to quarantine him. He's been around other birds his entire life, so if he were sick, we'd already know it. No need to worry about that.

So his cage is right next to Marty's and he's already interested in her. He's as close to her cage as he can get in his. He's whistling at her. Marty on the other hand is playing hard to get. She's ignoring him like a little Diva. That's my girl. Play hard to get, but baby, I don't think you'll be able to resist him for long. He's a handsome fellow. :)
    Pets Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 09:51 PM
    An update.

It's been two weeks since we brought Bo (I changed the spelling of his name for a fresh start) home.

At first Marty played hard to get. Now she's changed sleeping perches. Birds usually pick one perch and that's where they sleep. It's like humans picking a side of the bed. Usually they don't change where they sleep. Well, Marty has. She is now sleeping on a plastic perch, not the cotton one she usually sleeps on, that's as close to Bo's cage as she can get while still in her cage. In other words, she likes him.

Bo is loving Marty too. I caught them trying to nuzzle through the bars the other day. Bo serenades Marty all day long. He whistles beautifully, and knows many songs, which leads me to think he's not nearly as wild as the second owner thought. I can't see anyone spending the time to teach a bird songs, without spending the time to tame him.

He never panics when I reach in to his cage to give him food or change his water. He will avoid me, but not panic, or hiss.

I'm waiting to clip his wings, don't want to stress him. I think I'll do it next week, myself. I don't like doing it, but I do know how, I've done it before, which is why I don't like it. It's stressful on the bird, and I hate being the cause of stress. But, it's the best for Bo right now.

I'll let them have their first play date, with no bars, in around 2 weeks.

So that's the update. All is well in bird land. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 09:53 PM
    It's been two weeks since we brought Bo (I changed the spelling of his name for a fresh start) home.
    Now she is going to get confused with the Obamas' dog with the same name.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2013, 10:00 PM
    She is now sleeping on a plastic perch, not the cotton one she usually sleeps on, that's as close to Bo's cage as she can get while still in her cage. In other words, she likes him.
    Can you move the cotton one to where she is now, like, switch them or at least make her perch more comfortable? I wouldn't want to sleep on a plastic perch.
    I don't like doing it, but I do know how, I've done it before, which is why I don't like it.
    You won't get nervous and...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cockatiels prices [ 1 Answers ]

How much do hand fed and raised, tamed lutino cockatiels sell for and same question for a normal grey

Cat Breeding Question [ 7 Answers ]

I have a really weird question that I hope someone can help with. How long does a male have to be on the female in order to do his thing? How long should we leave the male and female together? Last but not least, when will we know that the female has been bred?

Quick question on breeding guppies, [ 2 Answers ]

I was breeding guppy's a couple months ago and then the mom and dad died, but I still had over 30 fry. Now the fry are grown up and I noticed I could finally see the male's gonopodium (I swear it popped up overnight). He has been bugging the females lately... but could have he impregnated them...

My cockatiels eggs [ 3 Answers ]

My cockatiel laid eggs we recently pair her up with a male,I just want to know how can I be sure they are fertile... ii don't really know who laid the eggs becaouse the bird I thought was a male has been pooping really big.. please help

Breeding question [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got a 5 month old black lab from a breeder. The breeder came recommended from a colleague that also got a lab from the same litter. Tiko which is my dog was pick of the litter by the breeder who kept him for his son to raise so he could use him as a stud later on. It so hhappened that...

View more questions Search