Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 02:54 PM
    Owen update on allergies etc
    After talking to others we will be taking Mr Owen to a allergy/dermatologist vet in the near future. Things have not been that rosy for the boy over Christmas.

1. He just got off cone treatment due to him licking his stomach so much that he had open sores. He also had his foreskin swollen.
    2. He is on flea medication again (as are all the cats). This time the vet wants them on it 3 times given every 2 weeks.
    3. He still gets his weekly bath but the shampoo had to be changed. His normal one is on back order. He is now on. Virbac Animal Health Dermatology Hexadene.
    4. He still gets his dog food that is only salmon. Due to allergies.
    5. He still gets his Reactine once a day
    6. He now gets Coconut Oil rubbed on his skin daily and fish oil daily.
    7. He is on Glucosome (spelling?) for his elbow displysia.

He has broke out in a very mild rash and I will be stopping his baths for a bit as it is very dry in Alberta. I have also put a shirt on him so he can not get to his belly.
    I am looking for knowledgeable feedback on him. I should mention my biggest fear is losing him as I had a cat we had to put to sleep due to extreme allergies. It was not an easy decision and yes we did all we could for Pony. I am finding I am getting more and more scared with Owen that I will be placed in the same position.
    Owen has not had allergy tests. He was placed on this due to when he was a puppy and had symptoms in rashes and bacteria or yeast on his skin and in his ears. (I am remembering from when he was a pup so over 2 years ago). Vet told us fish is the diet to go to.
    As usual any questions please ask I will answer them.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Are all of these allergies breed specific, mogrann? Just wonder while I give all of this some thought.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Bulldog have allergies as a potential however I have been told different things by alapaha breeders. Some,say most get allergies some say rarely do they get allergies.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 29, 2012, 03:44 PM
    I haven't read your other posts. Do you have new carpeting by chance? Or even old?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 04:35 PM
    Mogrann, have you tried a cool wash down with oatmeal in the water?

I know it sounds odd, but that's what my mom used to do whenever the dogs got a wound, or were scratching. She'd either put them in the tub with lukewarm water, or take a cloth and soak it in lukewarm water, wash down the area, and then put oatmeal (cooked obviously) on the itchy site. It did work wonders. She'd just rub it on, form a sort of paste on the itchy spot, and it would help with the itching. It would also help keep the skin moisturized.

Oatmeal is actually a very good moisturizer and natural healer.

Just a thought.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 11:46 PM
    No carpeting. Sorry just got home from work. I am copying and pasting from my status on Facebook.
    This is the actual vet report:
    1. Mild Plaque on teeth. They look good
    2. Skin and hair coat (abnormal) He has 2-3 pustules on belly and inside of back legs, he also has a few red areas on the prepuce as well and was quite itchy in here. The foreskin is swollen and the glans gets caught on the foreskin, likely swelling from licking. We will doa cone today. Henry uses a shampoo and they can take all of the red bumos away that way. If the shampoo does not work call me.
    3. Problems (abnormal) Pustules on his belly. He is licking the prepuce quite a bit as well.
    Plans and recommendations abnormal. He can have reactine 5 mg/day he is on this right now. Keep cone on for at least 7 days. Watch the prepuce for the glans sticking out use vaseline if you have to to prevent drying.

Alty I will try the cooked oatmeal poltice.. can't hurt right. Hubby is calling the vet tomorrow to get an estimate on cost (so we can save money) and hopefully an referral. I need to figure this out for him.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2012, 06:19 AM
    What kinds of medications have you tried? I haven't read all of your posts in the past.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
    First diagnosis for the allergies. Treatment plan has stayed the same. I copied and pasted the relevant post from the thread (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/o...-518027-2.html) He was diagnosed in 2010.
    My last post was long enough so I decided to let you know the actual wording of the vet and the medication he came home with. I am not as articulate about vet matters so it may be more clear with what my vet said.
    Skin and hair coat(abnormal) red belly, scratch marks and licks and bitesboth hind legs until the point he vocalizes(we thought this was a puppy behaviour like chasing his tail. That he would realize not to bite himself so hard). Mild erythema (redness) on the feet. Very suspicious for allergies/atopic dermatitis. Tape test: bacterial infection and he has white cells present there as well. He needs 3 weeks of antibiotics minimum and start shampooing twice weekly including feet and chin. He also has dark dsbris on chin as well, not itchy per owners.

Musculoskeletal (abnormal) LF lamesness per Susan and Henry. Very sure it is the left front. I can't get any pain in here at all. Recommended x-rays of front legs including elbows and shoulders as well as long bones. OCD?

Okay medicaitions are:Cephalexin 500mg Tablets 1 and a half tablets every 12 hours.
    Vet solutions Canadian Medicated Shampoo to be used twice weekly
    She also gave us a treatment plan which we are recommended putting him on a EFA supplement and also he can have reactine 10mg /day as needed.

NOTE: New shampoo as Vet Solutions Canadian Medicated Shampoo is back ordered. Vet gave us Virbac Animal Health Hexadene. I can not remember the when but he is on weekly baths. His paws (in between the toes especially ) get cleaned daily.
    I forgot today is Sunday and am hoping I can get a hold of the vet to find out about the allergist/dermatologist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owen's chin [ 23 Answers ]

Money is tight so we changed his food thinking he out grew allergies and could try new food. He got a few "pimples" but we never thought it was his food. Today we noticed how bad his chin was and hubby called the vet. I wanted the vet called as I was thinking it was something else... mange? ...

Owen hurt himself [ 25 Answers ]

I need to vent as I am sitting here crying. Owen had fallen while playing on the 19th. He seemed fine then but when I got home from work at 3am on the 20th he had a bad limp in the back leg. I remembered what Alty?(think it was you) told me what to do when Owen had the front paw limp. So I...

Block a Single Windows Update with Auto-Update Enabled [ 7 Answers ]

One of the Windows updates sent out on 10/13/09 caused a problem on my XP system (very, very slow operation of all functions). After a System Restore to a date prior to the update download, the problem was gone. After another Auto-Update, the problem returned. I know I can update...

Window vista update (KB968389) is a bad update, how can I update my vista? [ 2 Answers ]

August 11, 2009 window vista update KB968389 is a bad update for my computer. After trying to install it, my configuration only gets to 3 out of 3 and 0% then keeps on restarting over and over. It won't stop restarting unless I turn my computer off. I had to do a restore to my drives to get it...

How to update AVG antivirus Update to computer,which is not connect with internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Computer (No.A) is connected with internet. So I can get the update automatically. But, Computer (No.B, and No.C ) is not connect with internet. But we use the flash Drive and 3 1/2 Floppy disk. Without antivirus software, No.B & C can get the virus. Already having the antivirus software...

View more questions Search