Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sammydg04 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Bathing a mother cat
    My cat gave birth to two kittens yesterday. She is a very young mother, and we are proud of her cause she is being very good. My question has to do with her hygiene. She has white fur on her back legs and it became very stained with red throughout the birthing process. We cleaned the blanket and thought that she would clean herself, but she hasn't yet. I was wondering if it's OK to bathe her while she is nursing. I had heard that the soap could poison the nursing kittens. Is this true? If so, how can we get her clean?
    heather83 Posts: 92, Reputation: 4

Mar 16, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Your best bet would be to take a clean warm wash cloth and just trying to wipe her clean as best you can. It's quick, painless, and will help a lot. She's probably just worn out from giving birth-even after a day or two. Give her a little bit of time to recooperate. You can then try and bathe her if it won't stress her out too much. But use only a small amount of soap. The soap won't poison the kittens, but if not thouroughly rinsed it could make them sick or just taste gross, and it also could dry out her teats and make nursing uncomfortable for her.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Mar 16, 2007, 01:09 PM
    If you go to speciality pet store you can find a soapless gentle puppy/kitty shampoo that does not hurt the cat. Giving it a warm bath will not hurt the nursing process.
    angelofmusic04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2013, 08:21 PM
    I have 9 week old kittens with some fleas, how do I wash them without hurting their skin? What can I use?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long can mother cat nurse kittens [ 6 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me how long a mother cat can nurse kittens. I am feeding a feral cat, and she has had kittens 5 or 6 weeks ago I think. I give her good quality and variety of cat food, and I have also been putting kitten food in the dishes in case the kittens are now able to eat by...

Mother cat had kittens in a shed! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi.  I need some advice on what to do.  A strange cat started coming to our house, and we started feeding it.  Now it thinks this is it's home.  It kept coming back, and after a while we realized it was preagnant.  It started getting really fat, and then this morning when I saw it it was really...

Nusing Mother Cat with Swollen Teats [ 2 Answers ]

I have a stray mother cat that I brought in with her 6 kittens. The kittens now 8 weeks old have been placed in a rescue for adoption and I had the mother spayed last week. Now her teats are swollen as if she needs to keep nursing. Each one is about the size of an egg. Does anyone know anything...

Mother cat w/kittens won't eat much [ 3 Answers ]

I have a very small queen w/5 kittens 31/2 weeks old the mother will not eat very well and has hairball problems and diarreah. She has round worms and we just startes her on a 3 day rx for the worms. Will she feel better after the rx starts to work?how can I help her? She gives everything to the...

View more questions Search