Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 28, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Dead Garage Receptacle (47 VAC)
    Greetings,

I apologize in advance because I know this is a loose connection type failure, however, I'm stuck in bed with a serious about of Pneumonia and my Niece needs some help.

What I have been able to find out from here is that the receptacle is the end of line receptacle. The cable is a 14 AWG, copper. The conductors are attached to the receptacle screws and are tight, but not to tight to un-wrap from under the screw.

My Niece cannot isolate the breaker because of the completed walls in the garage. Also, the first receptacle in the possible string is a GFCI receptacle, that tests fine.

I would normally start working backwards pulling the receptacles out one at a time until I found the failure, but I strongly suspect that there is a flying splice somewhere in the circuit that a friend created to install a light.

Short of tearing the walls out to trace the circuit, I'm looking for suggestions. I don't have a boro scope to loan her, I do have a tone generator which may help. I'm not sure that I can explain to her how to wring out the conductors using a meter, but until I know the circuit is dead, I do not want her poking around hot wires with something sharp.

Suggestions please.

I'm stuck in bed at least 2 or 3 more weeks, barring a miricale.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2012, 05:27 AM
    This concerns me:

The conductors are attached to the receptacle screws and are tight, but not to tight to un-wrap from under the screw.
    What does that mean? The wires are wrapped counterclockwise wise on terminal screws? That is the only method that would allow the wire to un-wrap.

If this is a possibility:

but I strongly suspect that there is a flying splice somewhere in the circuit that a friend created to install a light.
    The friend should be asked.

Have to run, will get back to this later. Perhaps you can address my comments so far.

Dec 29, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Sorry for injecting confusion into thie thread. My Niece's "Live In" is a Robbert/Homicide Detective here in VB. So when he does stuff with a tool, he tends to crank nuts, bolts and screws so tight you'd think they were spot-welded in place.

The picture that was sent to me showed the conductor under the screw, not torqued down and cammed out from under the screw.

The friend, is now in Atlanta and will not be back until Spring. However, all he remembers is that he found a "Spare wire" in the Attic and just used that. No box, no protection, nothing! Just a "spare Wire"

A friend here is a master so I asked that he find that splice before there is a fire and repair it and the receptacle. My Niece and her daughter get some safety and I get a bill! And peace of mind

Will this miserable year just end already!
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Dec 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
    Got to love those "flying splices"...

Jan 7, 2013, 12:16 PM
    Follow up:

The villain was found. The flying splice that was cut into the receptacle branch circuit was loose. It seems the friend, cut into the circuit and laid the wires side by side and taped them together. No twists of the wires, just taped.

They are now capped. I get to run the new cables when I'm allowed to get out of this (DIRTY WORDS) bed and back among the living.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2013, 01:43 PM
    You sound energized... if we p**s you off more, you'll be well in no time!

Jan 7, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Actually, I'm starting to feel human again.

What annoyed me was that my Niece let her friend do the work because he said it was a nothing job.

Now he's out of town and they dump the problem on me since "I have an understanding" of electricity.

I still have neighbor hood friends vacationing at Attica, maybe I can get them to visit this friend and explain things to him. Opps, they don't get weekend passes from Attica! Darn!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2013, 05:50 AM
    So is anyone going to let the "friend" know that he should not be doing electrical work, for many reasons ?

Jan 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
    Kev -Strat - You really have to laugh. I had the cop talk to this "Family friend". Not only did he say the wiring should be fine, but he claimed to have done professional electrical work in the past.

Oh, he's promised to return the $75. He was paid to put the light. I asked the cop to have the Ga. Police explain it a little better to him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage wiring ( One light receptacle and two plug receptacles don't work) [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to troubleshoot an end of run wiring receptacle on the wall. My garage door opening receptacle on the ceiling of the garage and a light receptacle on the ceiling of the garage. Nothing seems to be working. I had the black hot wire on each of the brass screws by using different locations...

Wiring gone dead in garage. [ 1 Answers ]

My garage was built in 1937. It has the original wiring that terminates in a four-way receptacle box. But for some reason it has stopped working. We bought the house with a updated breaker box doesn't show this line to the garage. No breakers are tripped, I put a tester on the receptacle in the...

I have a 3-wire 240 VAC power box, and would like to install a 120 VAC outlet from it [ 4 Answers ]

Do I just take power from one leg and ground? If so, how do I ground the outlet?

220 vac 4 wire to 3 prong receptacle [ 4 Answers ]

Where do the 4 220vac wires go in the 3 prong receptacle? This is for a range...

Wiring my garage for a 230 VAC single phase welder [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a 220 outlet for my 230VAC single phase welder in my garage I have a 60a double breaker is it as simple as black and white w/ red stripe wires to breaker and green to ground? Thanks for any help

View more questions Search