Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALYPARI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Dual Status resident
    I am a dual status resident and have to file 1040NR for first 3 months and for remaining months I will be filing 1040. I am married and have one son. Can I claim my spouse and kid as dependent and claim exemption. Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2007, 09:50 PM
    You can claim your wife and child as dependents on the Form 1040NR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident/nonresident/dual-status? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi again! I posted a question a few days ago and you were very helpful. I am a little confused as to what my status is. 2003 - F1 - 202 days 2004 - F1/OPT - 305 days 2005 - 293 days: >> F1/OPT until Jun 30 - 176 days >> stayed after visa expired for 1 month - then left...

Dual status resident or resident? [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure whether I am a dual status resident despite reading the IRS website. Background: I arrived on September 17, 2005 in the USA, started working on September 19, 2005. I filled as nonresident (1040NR I believe) in 2005. I spent a week vacation in February 2006 in my homecountry. I...

F1 -> H1B, resident/dual-status contradiction [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All. This is my first time in this forum. Though I have read a lot of the threads, this question is still controversial. I am on the same boat as a lot of the others. I was on OPT from June 27 to Sep 30, and on H1B from Oct 1 to Dec 31. However, there is a contradiction with the Sticky Note....

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

View more questions Search