Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123Gage Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
    How to install a 300lb chandelier
    I want to install a 300lb chandelier in my living room.

Want to now how to properly secure the chandelier.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2012, 09:12 AM
    What type of construction is in the ceiling? Is there an attic or crawl space above?
    123Gage Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2012, 09:50 AM
    No attic space.
    I know Im going to have to tear out sheet rock and add some braces.

Just don't know how much to add.

Don't want to tear up more than I have to.

Also, was going to add a 24in-36in medallion so I wouldn't have to sheet rock,tape,float,texture and paint.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
    A 200 lb person on a 100 lb toilet concentrates weight on the space between braced joists. But I would be equally or more concerned about the fasteners you use to attach the fixture itself, and would envision them giving way first.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2012, 10:45 AM
    Standard fixture boxes are not rated that high. Suggest you go to where you got the unit and inquire or check with a lighting supplier. You doll need a strong structure support, bolted not nailed.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2012, 06:03 PM
    Check out this support at Amazon.com. Should give you an idea of how this all works... ;)

Amazon.com: Westinghouse 0180000 Heavy Chandelier and Fixture Brace: Home Improvement

Mark

PS: There are cheaper versions available online. You could even make this yourself if you are handy! The medallion should cover the hole... no problem!
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I would like to install a new chandelier, and a dimmer switch to it, [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to install a new chandelier, and a dimmer switch to it, can I wire this from a wall outlet that has only one wire coming in, if so do I wire from the outlet to the chandlier then back to dimmer switch or wire from outlet to dimmer switch to the chandelier?

Replacing chandelier [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace a chandelier. The box in the ceiling has a black, white, and copper grond wire. The fixture has two double wires that appear identical, so I assumed that I should keep them both together and connect each to each wire in the box, with ground wire to ground wire. No...

2-in-1 chandelier [ 4 Answers ]

How can I mount two different chandeliers from one existing place on the ceiling?

Chandelier Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I'm rewiring an old chandelier. Any suggestions as to where to start?

View more questions Search