Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    19041935AC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2012, 01:07 PM
    Can you adopt a child when the father isn't on the birth certificate?
    I'm not on the birth certificate for my son, my ex partner as now moved on and in a strong relationship. The new partner would like to adopt my child can this be done? Due to circumstances I don't see much of him, so my son does look at him as his father.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
    DNA would have to prove paternity. Both parents would have to sign a consent for the Adoption. Many States require that the adopting parents be married and stable for (minimally) a year.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
    Generally, a court would require that the bio father be contacted to get his permission for a step parent adoption.

Sounds to me like you are willing to agree to this. So I would inform the mother that you are willing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2012, 04:53 AM
    If you are the father, and have no objection to the new husband adopting, they will have to request the adoption and you, as the father of the child will have to sign over your rights, most likely DNA testing will need to be done to prove paternity

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do when the father on birth certificate isn't the biological father [ 0 Answers ]

How to remove the fathers name on birthcertificate isn't the biological father on guam?

My child's father is on the birth certificate but can my husband adopt [ 1 Answers ]

My child's bialogical father hasn't had much to do with my child over the last 7 years. He even gave me permission to change his name. My husband wants to adopt my son . Can he do so and how would we go about it.

Is it posible to adopt a child if there's no father on the birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting married soon to my girlfriend, and she has a child 11yrs old. There is no father on the birth certificate, nor have any one ever seen him. He split when she told him she was pregnant. Can I adopt her child?

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search