Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelley7180 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Mar 15, 2007, 01:34 PM
    Connecting water line to refrigerator
    I have a GE Profile refrigerator, and the manual is very vague about how to connect the water supply line to it. There is ¼" OD copper tubing coming from the back of the fridge (about 3"), and I have the supply line (¼" OD copper tubing w/ about 48" extra coiled up) coming from the basement. How do I connect the 2 together? (Please do not respond to buy a kit because I already have everything that is in it.) PLEASE HELP! The people at Lowe's and The Home Depot have been useless.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 01:48 PM
    If you have a 1/4 in coming from the frig and one coming from the basement all you need is a 1/4 coupling. I'd install a frig water filter, it has the correct fittings attached to it out of the box. Just be sure you are buying a complete filter and not just the refill fliter.

Mar 15, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Thanks for the advice! (My fridge already has a filter inside it.)

Mar 15, 2007, 01:59 PM
    That is great, just go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4 in. coupler. Let them know if both lines are cooper or plastic or one of each.

Mar 16, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Everything thing is connected now, but it won't stop leaking. I placed teflon tape around the treads of the compression joint, but that didn't work. Any suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Teflon tape on the threads won't help. The seal is between the little brass rings and the center coupling. What you can make work is a couple of O-rings. Auto parts stores are the best place to buy them. What you need is a couple 3/8'' X 7/16'' ones. Often places like Advance Auto or Auto zone have assortments. Just pick the smallest ones that will go over the ends of the copper tubing. Put it together with the O-rings between the brass rings and the center coupling. It has worked for me, and will work for you. It is important that you are able to turn the nuts on to the coupler several threads, but not so tight you squeeze the O-rings out.

The automotive companies have largely abandoned metal to metal seals, now using O-rings in high pressure applications such as powers steering and fuel lines.

This answer will not be popular with those making their living as plumbers. I am more interested in giving you something I know you can make work than keeping others happy. You can still go back to the O-rings if you find you can't make their answers work.

Mar 16, 2007, 07:18 AM
    If your 1/4 in tubes were not damaged and you installed the coupling correctly you might just need to tighten the two nuts a bit more. Raely will you break this fitting but its not a bad idea to shout off the supply line while making the adjustment. Its really a simple connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water at Refrigerator Water line? [ 60 Answers ]

We recently moved into a 10 year old home and purchased a new refrigerator with a water filter and ice maker, only to find that when we hooked it up to the single water line behind the fridge, it dispenses hot water. I don't think the line has been used before now and was wondering if anyone has...

Refrigerator water line leak [ 9 Answers ]

I have a GE Profile refrigerator model TFH30PR that developed a leak. The water line within the refrigerator that leads to the water dispenser developed a crack at the very beginning where it was connected to the inlet line I presume after a dual solenoid valve. I cut the cracked tubing off and...

Refrigerator water line noise [ 3 Answers ]

Our house is 5 years old and about a month ago the refrigerator water line started banging between the wall and the refrigerator. It is very loud and you can watch the line jump. It happens about when water is turned off in the house, either the sink, toilet or washer. It only happens about 20%...

Connecting PVC Line to Cast Iron pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I am adding a second bathroom to an older 1-1/2 story house. I had planned to tie into the existing waste line. The existing toilet is on the first floor and discharges directly into a vertical cast iron pipe which appears to be 6 inches in diameter. This vertical pipe connects in the crawl space...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search