Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13224932 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
    Child Abandonment
    I'm married with three small children. My husband moved out Nov 1st without warning, and refused to pay child support. I filed a Abondment warrant because he's not paying anything to helpme. What should I expect in court?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Do you have a lawyer? If you have a lawyer, then there will be many questions as to why he moved out, and why he isn't talking about supporting the children. Please get a lawyer, if you don't already have one. It will make a GREAT deal of difference in court. I do wish you the best, and Happy New Year. PS; you should be awarded some child support, but you didn't say where you live, as some laws might be different in many areas.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 26, 2012, 06:45 PM
    First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Are you in GA? That's the only state that I know of where you can file a "abandonment warrant" for non support. Have you filed for divorce yet?

Whild having an attorney is a good idea, especially if he gets one, it is not absolutely necessary in Family Court. Family Court is generally more user friendly.

The court will probably require your husband to provide proof of income, then set an anount of support once he does.

Dec 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
    I live in Cobb County in Georgia and don't currently have a attorney. We were arguing about money constantly and he said he didn't want to go to jail. We have been married for 13 years. I'm not financially in a position to pay for a divorce or consider it right now. I want to get him to understand that he's responsible too. I filed for child support also with the State of Child Support Division in Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    Do you have a lawyer? If you have a lawyer, then there will be many questions as to why he moved out, and why he isn't talking about supporting the children. Please get a lawyer, if you don't already have one. It will make a GREAT deal of difference in court. I do wish you the best, and Happy New Year. PS; you should be awarded some child support, but you didn't say where you live, as some laws might be different in many areas.

Dec 26, 2012, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Are you in GA? That's the only state that I know of where you can file a "abandonment warrant" for non support. Have you filed for divorce yet?

Whild having an attorney is a good idea, especially if he gets one, it is not absolutely necessary in Family Court. Family Court is generally more user friendly.

The court will probably require your husband to provide proof of income, then set an anount of support once he does.
    I do live in GA. I haven't filed for a divorce yet. I filed for Child Support with the State Division. I don't have court orders yet. He moved out because he didn't want to be responsible and we were arguing about money on a regular basis. He gave the kids a few Christmas gifts, but has yet to give any money for support since November 1st.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2012, 04:10 AM
    Here is the pertinent law: Georgia Georgia Abandonment of Spouse or Child - Attorney Trey Phillips

You said he left on Nov 1 so you could file on Dec 1. It appears you don't have to file for divorce to charge him with abandonment, but I'm not sure whether a court will order support under this law or apply criminal penalties (jail).

I would check with local law schools, some have clinics that can help you understand the law and prepare paperwork and strategy.

As for affording to file for divorce, unless he contests it, it should not be expensive. But I'm not sure if a support order can be issued until you file for divorce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file child abandonment warrant? My exhusband hasn't paid 5 months child support [ 2 Answers ]

It's been five months and he now owes $9,000 and refuses to pay. I filed a contempt of court order paperwork and the law has made four attempts to serve him but was unsuccessful. What can I do next? Can I file a child abandonment warrant or just file another contempt of court paperwork again until...

An a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment? [ 2 Answers ]

Can a mother who leaves her child with its father be arrested for child abandonment??

Should I File for Child Abandonment or Continue to Wait for my Child Support Hearing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old child out of wedlock and I broke up with his father since September 2008. He was abusive and I had him arrested. After he got out of jail, I allowed him to still see our child. We agreed that he would pay the child support without the courts being involved. Well of course that...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search