Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 25, 2012, 11:07 AM
    Bad Neighbors!
    Hey guys!
    Let me set up the situation. Elderly female living alone with a terminal illness,
    Neighbors offered to clean her house. They moved her out of her house while they did this. When she returned she found her deceased husbands wedding ring missing along with the VCR. B Because the neighbors brought in other people there was no one to blame she simple wrote it off However every time she went to the doctor she would come home to find something else missing. The only conclusion was that the neighbors had a key to her house. T%yhat's when she asked for my help. I replaced all the locks and the pilfering stopped. As there's no real proof no police report was ever made. She now lives in fear of those neighbors. That 's leading up to her concerns.
    Is it possible to take out a high end insurance policy on someone w3jthout her knowledge or consent and if it is possible is there a way she can check and find out who and how much? She's a very nice lady that I've known for many years and I don't want her spending her last years living in fear. Can you help? Thanks so much, Tom
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
    Is it possible to take out a high end insurance policy on someone w3jthout her knowledge or consent and if it is possible is there a way she can check and find out who and how much?
    Life insurance, you mean?

These people do not have an insurable interest in her. In other words, if they did something stupid like that, the insurance company would not have to pay anyway.

It appears to me that if she is worried about that she may be suffering from clinical paranoia of some sort.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
    But is it possible for them to lie and get a policy on her? That was the question,
    if she is worried about that she may be suffering from clinical paranoia of some sort.
    If she is then we both are. She's been getting ripped off fore months and is waiting for the other shoe to drop. These are not nice people and we're just trying to cover all basis. Thank you so much for you're helpful answer. Tom
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    But is it possible for them to lie and get a policy on her? That was the question,
    If she is then we both are. She's been getting ripped off fore months and is waiting for the other shoe to drop. These are not nice people and we're just trying to cover all basis. Thank you so much for you're helpful answer. Tom
    One thing you might try as far as checking into it is a credit report. Most insurance companies run a report when issuing a policy. Also they would have to have her social and everything.

Too bad that before changing the locks you didn't install a video system. That way you would know for sure.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Yes, just about anything's possible. That's the answer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2012, 07:47 PM
    At her age, a physical exam would be needed to get almost any life insurance expect maybe a 2 or 3 thousand dollar one.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
    Some information from what looks like a reliable site:
    How do you find out if someone has a life insurance policy on you? | USA Coverage
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 26, 2012, 08:26 AM
    A police report should still be made. If these items are found in a local pawn shop, for example, she could recover her items and the individuals who pawned them could be tracked and prosecuted.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 26, 2012, 07:55 PM
    My friend thanks you all for your response and you have my thanks as well, Greenies all the way around, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are we the bad neighbors? [ 0 Answers ]

A few Weeks ago we had to call cops due to a dog fight out front of our home (not our dog). Now we have 4 neighbors that hate us.we have 3 kids and other kids come to my yard to play, they yell were to loud our yard is a mess (bikes, swing set,outside toys).we work early so we go to bed early,...

What are my rights when my neighbors have dogs that fill our building with a bad odor [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an apt with 4 units. My neighbors live in a 1bd apt on the lower level. They constantly allow the two great dame dogs to poop on the lawn and either not pick it up immediately or leave the bags of poop on the front against the building. When you enter our hallway it is the most horrible...

Bad Neighbors [ 8 Answers ]

So thought you real estate law experts may be able to help me here. I have some neighbors who are constantly breaking assoc. rules, littering, parties, not supervising their kids... etc. We have fined them over 20 times in the past 2 years. We have informed their property manager (they are renters)...

Good Neighbors/Bad Trip [ 1 Answers ]

One afternoon, a man was riding in the back of his limousine when he noticed two men eating grass by the road side. He ordered his driver to stop and he got out to investigate. "Why are you eating grass?" he asked one man. "We don't have any money for food," the poor man replied. "Oh, come along...

What can I do about bad neighbors with vicious dog? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I bought our townhouse a little over a year ago. About three months ago we had some neighbors move in with a mean pit bull. We share a driveway with them. They do not own their portion, they rent. Anyway, they chain the pit up between our two houses. I can barely get into my...

View more questions Search