Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Snakeman#67 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 05:58 PM
    Mange
    I have two 9 week old puppies that were found in the woods on christmas eve.
    I took them to the vet and had them checked out.They have some raw crusty places on their stomachs and the backs of their legs.The vet checked them for
    The mange and said she could not find any mites but gave me some medecine.
    It is called petamine.I read the directions and it says not to get in mouth.I
    Am afraid to put it on them because they play rough and bite at each other.
    Will it hurt them if they bite each other and it gets in their mouth?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2005, 06:20 PM
    I am glad you read the directions and related them to the real world of puppies. Maybe hold off treating them tonight and check with the vet in the morning. Anything you put on one of them is going to end up in the other's mouth. I am really lucky never to have had to deal with mange and some other things. Thanks for rescuing the puppies and caring for them.

Jan 19, 2005, 09:17 AM
    Thanks for the advice Labman.I'm going to talk to the vet today and see what she says.The puppies were lucky.I went to my dads house for christmas and he had
    Found them on christmas eve.I had been wanting to get a puppy and when my
    Wife and I seen them I picked one and my brother took the other one.I'm keeping his till he gets a pen built then he will get his puppy.My dad called my puppy Eve since he found her on christmas eve and I liked that.the other one's name is Sassy it fits her perfect.They were lucky to be alive we think the mother was killed by coyotes.My dad found some fur close to where he found them.They
    Turned out to be a perfect chritmas present.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 23, 2005, 10:06 PM
    Tea tree oil helps
    Just had my dog bathed at the groomers and asked her what she could use since my dogs skin seemed really dry/irritated. She gave her a tree tea oil bath which was very soothing as she has crusted patches also on her body. Looked up remedies for mange on the net and also found tea tree oil and another recommended lavender oil which I found both oils in one product at the Wild Oats market in Hinsdale, IL. You might want to try something like the tea tree oil for the puppies skin. Hope this helps you out.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 25, 2005, 12:08 PM
    WARNING: Tea Tree oil is very toxic to animals.

If you opt to use anything, use something safe like Revolution. It takes care of fleas, roundworms, heartworms, ear mites, and sarcoptic mange all in one tube which is applied topically. All you need do is keep them separated for a couple hours to let it dry and they are good to go for 28 to 30 days.

I recommend using Revolution monthly!

Regards,
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2005, 06:36 PM
    Great post koriani. I think I can trust you to have a responsible source for your information, and not just some dubious internet site of unknown credibility. The net can use any and all rationality. It is a real fight. I regard the service dog schools that are my chief source of dog knowledge as extremely reliable. They have an incredible wealth of knowledge of dogs, complete medical histories of thousands of dogs, including bloodlines, diets, and X-rays. Since I am raising puppies for them, they have every incentive to give me the best of their knowledge.

The puppy and the 11 year old Lab I had last summer were on Revolution, and had no problems. I was feeding Eukanuba and Pro Plan. No baths, but regular brushing. The old dog gets to swim in the river once in a while. No odor, skin, or coat problems. For the winter I have the 11 year old and my new puppy on Heartgard+. I plan to go back to Revolution before the fleas come out. Some years, when I just had one healthy, young dog in the house, I didn't have to do anything about fleas. Now that I have Aster, the old dog, I am more aggressive. She developed flea allergies in the mid 90's before the good stuff was in common use.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2005, 09:20 PM
    Per the manufacturer can't use on my dog
    Quote Originally Posted by koriani
    WARNING: Tea Tree oil is very toxic to animals.

If you opt to use anything, use something safe like Revolution. It takes care of fleas, roundworms, heartworms, ear mites, and sarcoptic mange all in one tube which is applied topically. All you need do is keep them seperated for a couple hours to let it dry and they are good to go for 28 to 30 days.

I recommend using Revolution monthly!

Regards,
    The manufacturer of Revolution is Pfizer and per the manufacturer is not recommended should your dog be sick, elderly (which mine is), or in a debilatated condition.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 26, 2005, 01:35 PM
    I thought we were discussing 9 weel old puppies.

Anyway, Tea Tree shampoo would probably be okay as long as you make sure it is rinsed off VERY well. Using Tea Tree Oil straight, at least in an area where the dog (or another pet) could lick it, is a definite no-no.

I am well aware of the wonderful uses of Tea Tree Oil and am never without it in my own home, but people sometimes don't understand that just because it's okay for people doesn't mean it's okay for animals.

Tylenol, ibuprophen, naproxin, and chocolate are cases in point.

Regards,

Jan 28, 2005, 06:22 PM
    Thanks for the advice.I need all I can get.I dipped the puppies a week ago in the petamine.I did the 1st one and let her dry then the second one.I kept them apart until they dried and it worked out great.They are getting better and I have to dip them again tomorrow.Thanks again for the help this is a great web site
    And there is a lot of caring animal lovers here. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mange [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old pitbull. She has mange. I have treated her for it before and now she has it again, I am not able to afford to keep her to pay for all the medicine that she needs. I am undecided what to do as far as if I should keep her. I was thinking of taking her to the pound and they can...

View more questions Search