Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Dec 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Need Active KillDisk v5.5
    I have Active KillDisk v5.5 on my PC, which is going to my wife soon.

Just downloaded the official free version from LSoft Technologies, only to find it is now v7.0. No problem (I thought). Active@ KillDisk. LSoft Technologies

They changed the UI (also OK), EXCEPT, they removed the text under the icons on all their menu buttons. Now I have to hover over each button to make sure I'm selecting the correct one. I don't use the program often enough to have them memorized.

So, Google and I went in search of previous versions. Even some labeled as v5.5 installed v7.0. Other sites were suspicious.

Does anyone know where I can download a legitimate, safe copy of v5.5?

Thanks and Happy Holidays...
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
    How often do you actually need to use this software ?
    If you are looking for an easy to use, secure deletion utility then good old ccleaner does the job for you..

Dec 24, 2012, 04:12 PM
    Hey CB. Happy Holidays.

I don't use Kill Disk very often.

I have used CCleaner on a daily basis, just before shutdown, for years. I never new it had a "Kill" feature (overwrite?).

I primarily use Active KillDisk on external HDDs using a USB to SATA adapter.

The thing I love about KillDisk, is nothing on the drive stops it, and it deletes partitions. Sometimes I just use it for that. I can run KillDisk for 30 seconds to delete all partitions, then just format the drive in Disk Management. KillDisk also initializes the HDD after the kill.

I just found "CCleaner's Drive Wiper in Tools, and I see that it does support external HDDs. Great!

Do you happen to know if CCleaner can merge partitions?

Thanks so much.
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

Dec 27, 2012, 06:42 PM
    If you search for killdisk 5.5 and the sites listed link to the Killdisk home page, you will get the latest version (hover your mouse over the link and see if the site shows the killdisk web address at the bottom of the browser). If you still have your trial to full key, you might be able to find 5.5 with an FTP search engine and download it from others that kept copies (use filezilla and the ftp address from the search engine to look at their ftp server). Are you sure your copy of 5.5 isn't on the PC somewhere? Why would anyone install and then delete an app they paid for? I also have had a little luck finding an older version with a regular search by watching file sizes. If the link is coming in the same size as 7.0, stop the download and try another site. Always scan downloads from strange places for viruses though. Killdisk has two versions, one paid and one free and they're different.

Dec 28, 2012, 07:44 AM
    Thank you.

I have the free version of 5.5, so at the time, I didn't see the need to save the install file. I have since started saving all install files, free or otherwise, just for this reason.

Unfortunately, I'm not advanced enough to follow your explanation about an FTP search. My version is not a trial, it's just free, so no activation key.

I have checked all links to v5.5 using Google, and they either lead to v7, or they are sites that require membership which includes adding toolbars and advertising. I won't be doing any of those.

Thanks again.

Feb 11, 2013, 08:19 AM
    Go here:
    NAPALM FTP Indexer

Search killdisk and right click a download of the free version. Right click save doesn't work on all ftp sites, that's why I mentioned filezilla.

Feb 11, 2013, 09:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    Go here:
    NAPALM FTP Indexer

search killdisk and right click a download of the free version. Right click save doesn't work on all ftp sites, that's why I mentioned filezilla.
    There are a few listed of various sizes, maybe the largest file? Scan them with anti-virus before executing anything.

Feb 11, 2013, 11:53 AM
    Thank you App...

I just recently located a clean copy of v5.5 at: http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=2778

I'll look into Filezilla as well. Can you please elaborate on FTP? I'm not familiar with it?

Thanks again... MSC

Feb 11, 2013, 05:25 PM
    FTP is similar to HTTP but is a server address not a site address. All you see there is folders and files. An ftp search engine searches available servers for your key words. Since many servers are linux though you can end up with a bunch of linux file pages to get through to find Windows files. After searching and finding a link, you can right click it and save the link address to paste into Filezilla and open the site to view the files. It's a good idea to view the full link at the bottom of the search browser to see the folder structure and find your way around. Folder trees in other languages can be daunting.

Filezilla will allow you to add files to the queue from the right server listing and then download them to what ever Windows Explorer folder is highlighted on the left. Folders and all.

Feb 11, 2013, 07:12 PM
    Thank you so much. I had no idea...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not as active anymore [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Rott, and she is just laying down, she is not active anymore like before, she eats a little bit, not like before, she doesn't want to move,she looks just tired... I'm very concern, we just lost anther dog 2 weeks ago

Active Directory [ 1 Answers ]

I trying to figure out this scenario that was given in my company. A customer's Active Directory structure is split into three sites, each with a domain controller. You are the network administrator of site B. One of your local users has traveled to Site A, and is having trouble logging on. ...

She is 12, he is 15(?) and are active... [ 1 Answers ]

While throwing away my "junk mail" yesterday I stood in front of the dumpster and heard some noise behind it. I went about my business as if not noticed. They realized they were caught and began to cloth them self's. I called my mgr. of the apts. And said what I believe to be the actions of the...

Active x [ 3 Answers ]

My friend is having trouble getting into certain sites--even becoming a member of Yahoo. I couldn't log into Yahoo on his computer with my ID and password. What is the problem with his computer? Does the following message that popped up on his computer have anything to do with the problem? He...

View more questions Search