Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ebenjose Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2012, 12:45 AM
    How do you explain john 8 :58 in regards to the divinity of christ?
    Divinity of Jesus.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 24, 2012, 01:12 AM
    How do you? What is your thoughts about it, tell us how you feel and lets discuss it
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2013, 02:43 PM
    Eb,

I think Jesus said it all right there. He IS God. I just love that verse. There are plenty of people who do not believe Jesus said he was God but he certainly DID in the passage. Certainly the Jews understood what he was saying because they took up stones to kill him.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 02:56 PM
    "Before Abraham, I am."

The best recognized literal translations of the Greek have translated the verse as "I am" (not "I was" or "I have been").

In Greek, the words recorded in John 8:58 are prin abraam genesthai ego eimi. Literally, this is "Before Abraham was existing, I am." Ego eimi is literally, "I am." This is the present tense. To say "I have been" is to use the perfect tense. In Greek, this would have been aemane. But Jesus didn't use it here. He used the present tense, ego eimi which is "I am." Read more at John 8:58 and 10:30-33, "I am." | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2013, 08:33 PM
    WG

What is it you believe? Is he God? Did he say he was God?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2013, 08:50 PM
    Jesus said in John 8:58, "I am that I am." Yahweh had told Moses in Exodus 3:14 that his name means "I am that I am." Sounds like a match!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2013, 05:51 PM
    Jesus made it plain, he was part of the creation, he was always with God and he is God. What part of the Father and I are one don't you understand? Scripture must be taken as a whole, not isolated verses, and when you do, it all hangs together, read The early part of John. John 3:16 God sent his son. How could he send him if he wasn't already there? And Jesus testify's to that preexistence in John 8:58. I think langauge sometimes gets in the way of understanding, our ability to express ourselves is inadequate when we speak of God

You have to get to the point of deciding what you believe, you can't believe one part and reject another. Who was Jesus? Liar, Lunatic or Living Truth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Baptism of John vs. Baptism of Christ? [ 136 Answers ]

Baptism of John, “preaching the baptism of penance, unto remission of sins” Versus Baptism of Christ, " baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost" On another thread concerning baptism a few interesting questions came up: 1) Did Jesus’ baptism have...

Internship Withholdings - Divinity Student [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is about half way through obtaining a Masters of Divinity and being ordained. This past summer, as part of the MDiv curriculum, she was assigned to an internship at a church and worked as an associate pastor. Her room and board was provided by the church. She received a W-2 from her...

View more questions Search