Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2013, 08:02 AM
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Had his mom succeeded in institutionalizing him
    And why didn't she succeed?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet View Post
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
    I cannot find a context for this speech or when it was delivered, and to whom. But every militia group uses it.

Please supply a link to its origins.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Hello tal:

Who would disagree with it?

Of course, it does NOT mean buy as many guns as you can, move to Idaho, and join an anti government (IE: anti OBAMA) militia.

Now, if you were a right wing NUT, kind of like Tim McVey, you COULD find that stuff in there.

excon
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    I cannot find a context for this speech or when it was delivered, and to whom. But every militia group uses it.

Please supply a link to its origins.
    You awoke the librarian in me, am searching for the source of this quote. Meanwhile, I stumbled across this one (woo! Woo!) --

A strong body makes a strong mind. As to the species of exercise I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks.
    – Thomas Jefferson

***ADDED*** So far, John Kennedy January 29, 1961.

He gave his State of the Union message the next day (and it could be given today with many of the same conditions prevailing) -- http://www.infoplease.com/t/hist/sta...union/174.html
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 09:54 AM
    Found it!

Roosevelt Day Commemoration Message - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And why didn't she succeed?
    Somehow he found out about it ,and that triggered his rage.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2013, 10:06 AM
    Found it!

Roosevelt Day Commemoration Message - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum
    Well done.
    It certainly sounds like Cold War rhetoric - the enemy being the USSR.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
    somehow he found out about it ,and that triggered his rage.
    So what does that explanation of why he shot up a school have to do with the inadequacies of the mental health profession?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2013, 10:14 AM
    Like I said ,I have not found out all the details . Heck ,there is no admission yet that he was on medications or under any care or evaluation.We know his mom was concerned enough to consider institutionalization... Beyond that ; All they floated so far was that idiocy that Aspby was a contributing factor .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 10:18 AM
    like I said ,I have not found out all the details . Heck ,there is no admission yet that he was on medications or under any care or evaluation.We know his mom was concerned enough to consider institutionalization ... Beyond that ; All they floated so far was that idiocy that Aspby was a contributing factor .
    He may have been an Aspie, but that certainly wasn't a contributing factor. I am eagerly awaiting the report of the details of this young man's mental and emotional journey, and what had been done to try to help him.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 10:41 AM
    He was trained to use a gun, and about to be sent away from surroundings he was familiar with.

Thanks WG for the context of the quote by Kennedy. He wasn't alking about arming the public against the govrnment, but help make government greater through support and participation.

That was my read.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 10:45 AM
    He was trained to use a gun.
    Reports are that she was trying to emotionally connect with him.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 11:16 AM
    ... and then break that connection?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 11:25 AM
    .........................and then break that connection?
    He apparently was incapable of connecting with anyone, even his mother.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 12:21 PM
    He had no history of violence or bad behavior as far as I know. There is no paper trail either.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 13, 2013, 01:15 PM
    He had no history of violence or bad behavior as far as I know. There is no paper trail either.
    A shop teacher had come forward to say he seemed to have no understanding of pain either for himself (so the teacher had to watch him closely in class) and for others. A few former classmates said he hugged the walls when he walked in school corridors and wouldn't make eye contact. He was painfully shy, even reclusive. The autism characteristics must have fed whatever demons were holding onto him.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2013, 06:25 AM
    Hello again,

Here's what's crazy. When faced with the country's problems, Democrats want to talk... Republicans want to buy guns.

There ain't nothing else to say about that.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again,

Here's what's crazy. When faced with the country's problems, Democrats want to talk... Republicans want to buy guns.

There ain't nothing else to say about that.

excon
    Dems talk is my way or the highway. That's one reason we want guns.
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2013, 08:17 AM
    Hello again, Steve:
    Dems talk is my way or the highway. That's one reason we want guns.
    It doesn't even dawn on you that the message YOU'RE sending is, it's MY way or the highway, and if you DON'T like it, I'll SHOOT you...

Excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gun Control... it didn't take long [ 1292 Answers ]

I won't go into hysterics that Obama is going to take away our guns. Just one question. If the US backs a UN Treaty to restrict small arms ,what is the law of the land ? The treaty ,or the Constitution of the land... specifically the 2nd Amendment ? After Obama win, U.S. backs new U.N....

Gun control. My thoughts. Just shoot me now. This thread won't end well. [ 332 Answers ]

Okay, I do have thoughts on gun control, and I promised to start a thread where we could discuss guns, and peoples thoughts on guns. But I didn't start the thread about the Connecticut massacre to discuss gun control. That was about the families and their loss. So, to keep that Connecticut...

Gun control by fiat? [ 17 Answers ]

Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means. WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice. I'm sure that is "under the...

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

Gun control and socialized medicine in Europe [ 1 Answers ]

Are any countries in Europe that do not have either gun control laws or socialized medicine? I know they're very "europe-y" things to do, but I don't know if the EU requires them, or if a bunch of countries just decided to institute them. (I know the exact polices vary a bit, so I'm guessing it's...

View more questions Search