Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angel__Kerrin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2004, 04:04 PM
    Parental Rights
    I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to sign over any and all parental rights and responsibilities for her to me so that he would no longer be bothered by any of it. I need to know if in order to do this I must have an attorney or if there is another way because I am disabled with a very tight income and am unable to afford an attorney. My daughter does know of her father's decision and is begging me to hurry and get this done so I truly appreciate any help I can get in this matter. Thank you very much. Also I should say that her father is an alcoholic and his new girlfriend doesn't like my daughter I can only suppose because of her jealousy and my daughter is miserable. PLEASE help!!
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Oct 14, 2004, 12:54 PM
    Act Quickly
    Sorry to get to you so late. It is always best to have an attorney and in this situation it seems that time is of the essence. I'm sure if you contact Child Protective services they may be able to refer you to someone for legal recourse especially with you in Handicap status. Try to find an attorney in the phone book that would make payment arrangements with you. Also go to the court house and find out about initiating a Petition for Child Custody! You may be able to do this on your own and the rules for the custodial arrangements will be set forth by the Judge at the hearing. You can also receive Free Consultation from many attorneys in the Yellow Pages concerning this case. Good luck!
    amySlater Posts: 31, Reputation: 0

Dec 26, 2004, 07:11 PM
    Cant he hire the lawyer...
    If this of a man wants to relinquish all rights to his child, he does not deserve her to start with BUT please wait. If he signs away rights, he signs away responsibilities as well and if you are disabled and money is tight that girl deserves her fathers monetary support. She is only twelve and will need lots of things that only money can provide before she is able to take care of herself. Just explain to him that you need time for the lawyer and meanwhile maybe your daughter can move in with you. It sounds as if the bum doesn't think that you are very smart so please listen. He can be forced to pay to help raise her if he has any income whatsoever unless his only income is from some sort of mental incapacity, it can be "attached" to and applied to the costs of raising your child. Do not let him do this to you or his daughter. If he does not want to see her that's fine, not really but what I am trying to say is that he can be forced to do his part whether he ever lays eyes on her again. I would suggest that you start writing down every word that he says to you concerning this matter because it may help you in the future. Also keep all letters that he may have written about this matter. Get to your local social service agency as soon as possible and get yourself and your daughter the help that you both need. DO NOT let this man just wash his hands of all future responsibility to his offspring. Don't you think that she deserves all that he can provide plus 1000 times more. Most of us do.

Best of luck,
    Amy ;)
    tiffanyinflorida Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Dec 22, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Whatever you do don't ever give him the opportunity to not pay you child support. He doesn't have to play the role of "dad" but, he definantly needs to help you financially take care of her. Once you waive the right to collect child support it is VERY hard is not impossible to have a judge re-instate the order to make him pay. Get whatever you can while you can. You might not be in a position down the road to take care of her on your own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminate parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son who is 15, used to live with me and my wife. I had physical custody. He became violent and disruptive and very hard to handle. My exwife moved him in with her for a while, but he also got into trouble there. To make a long story short,he now lives with my ex brother in law and he now has...

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Terminating parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am in need of help regarding terminating parental rights. I have just been granted a temp protective order (texas) and have court for my final that will last two years. I have been abused for over 10 years by my husband. We have only been married 4. My daughter is 5 going on 6. She goes to...

View more questions Search