Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcagney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 10:10 AM
    Max distance of vent to toilet
    I am adding two toilets (1.5 baths) to the ground fllor of my house (which is a concrete slab. The house is in NJ. What is the maximum distance the toilets (WC's?) can be from the vent line (I'm using 3" drains and 2" vents).
    Thanks Mike
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 18, 2005, 12:03 PM
    What is the maximum distance the toilets (WC's?) can be from the vent line (I'm using 3" drains and 2" vents)."

If the drain is 3" the max is 6'. If your drain is 4" the max is 10'. This would be if you ran a direct vent off the WC.
    However,(unless local codes force a individual vent for each WC) you can "wet vent" the entire bathroom group off the lavatory vent. just make sure that the lavatory ties in downstrean from the WC and that any other fixture, such as a tub or shower, ties into the lavatory drain before the lav drain ties into the 3" WC main. More questions? Just click on back. Regards, Tom
    mcagney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 12:23 PM
    Tom,

Thanks for the reply. My toilet is connected to a horizontal line and I thought all sinks, tubs etc had to be upstream of the toilet in a horizonal line. If that's the case how can I use the sink (lavatory?) vent as a wet vent?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 18, 2005, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcagney
    tom,

thanks for the reply. My toilet is connected to a horizontal line and I thought all sinks, tubs etc had to be upstream of the toilet in a horizonal line. If that's the case how can I use the sink (lavatory?) vent as a wet vent?
    It works like this. First the toilet discharges into a 3 or 4" main. Then DOWNSTREAM the vented lavatory ties into the main. The tub/shower can then tie in to the lavatory drain and both the toilet and the tub/shower will be wet vented through the lavatory vent. And finally the toilet main discharges into the stack vent which then discharges into the house sewer and bye-bye poo-poo. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent question - critical distance [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a toilet on the second floor of our house. We have a very small room upstairs in the center of the house which is ideal for an upstairs 1/2 bath. The main 4" vent is on the gable end of the house about 26 feet away from where I want to install the new toilet. My first thought was...

Critical distance question for shared vent [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, A quick question about my basement bathroom project. I have exposed my 4" main. If you are looking at the main from above it runs from right to left draining to the left. The farthest left fixture will be the toilet which I am dropping down, then using a 90 bend and tieing into...

Is my cellar toilet vent OK? [ 1 Answers ]

A toilet in the basement drains to the floor with no vent in sight. There is a vertical "wet" vent about 15 feet away that drains (among other things) a third floor washing machine. It also vents out the attic roof. When the washer drains, there is gurgling and swirling in the cellar toilet...

Toilet Vent Location [ 1 Answers ]

How close to the toilet should the vent line be? I’m in the process of moving a toilet and am not sure if I need to extend the vent too. Currently, the vent line is about 6 inches from the toilet, and after I move the toilet it would be 2 feet. Thanks Scott

Toilet Vent [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a septic system at my cabin, there is a toilet in the bathroom that will need to be tied to this new septic system. The toilet has a 4" pipe that runs through the crawl space, under the footings and is stubbed outside the cabin. This pipe is a straight pipe with total of about 13'...

View more questions Search