Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 08:42 AM
    Robert Bork, RIP
    A brilliant and honorable man who was the target of what changed the political landscape forever by raising the levels of vitriol, character assassination and fear mongering to new heights, Robert Bork has passed at age 84.

Said Ted Kennedy of Bork on the Senate floor:

Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit down at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens’ doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists would be censored at the whim of government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens for whom the judiciary is often the only protector of the individual rights that are the heart of democracy.
    And that basically is the same mantra used by the left ever since, forcefully so during the last campaign with their mythical war on women and putting blacks back in chains nonsense. You want to whine about the level of political discourse? Look no further than Robert Bork. What a shame...

Rest in peace judge.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
    Unless you are completely fanatical about your political affiliation you'll notice that it happens equally on both sides.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Unless you are completely fanatical about your political affiliation you'll notice that it happens equally on both sides.
    No, it doesn't. The right cannot come close to the vicious, intolerant rhetoric from the left.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 09:51 AM
    Yup - you're totally blind to it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 10:17 AM
    Yup - you're totally blind to it.
    Oh the irony.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
    What irony?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 11:29 AM
    You can find no case where a Dem nominee for SCOTUS was put through the vicious hate-filled hearings that Bork and then later Clarence Thomas endured.

He would've made an outstanding Associate Justice of the Supreme Court . The character assassination created a new word .

bork

verb (used with object)
    to attack (a candidate or public figure) systematically, especially in the media.

Borking | Define Borking at Dictionary.com

Bork wrote of the experience :
    “It had simply never occurred to me that anybody could misrepresent my career and views as Kennedy did.”
    Bork pointed out that many people had thought Kennedy had blundered in his vicious vile campaign against Bork. But with a compliant press searching through his garbage for any dirt they could find (they did uncover the fact that Bork liked John Wayne movies ) ,Kennedy was able to defeat the Bork nomination.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 11:46 AM
    You can find no case where a Dem nominee for SCOTUS
    Why get so specific? Do you think we can find vicious hate-filled stuff that republicans have said about conservatives? Sure ca. I wasn't referring to one specific instance and neither was steve.
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Why get so specific? Do you think we can find vicious hate-filled stuff that republicans have said about conservatives? Sure ca. I wasn't referring to one specific instance and neither was steve.
    Typically Republicans don't spew hate-filled diatribes toward conservatives.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
    He wasn't a people person for sure, and had some wacky views on rights of others especially women and minorities. Glad they stop him from being a judge. I get he is a right wing hero.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2012, 12:15 PM
    Yeah with all our "wacky views" .
    Expert

Dec 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
    You make it sound as if the left wing was making stuff up about Bork. Or maybe the choice between employment or be sterilized was a good and fair one.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    You make it sound as if the left wing was making stuff up about Bork.
    LOL, that was obvious, right from the Liar of the Senate himself, Ted Kennedy - which I quoted in the OP.

Robert Bork's America is a land in which women would be forced into back-alley abortions, blacks would sit down at segregated lunch counters, rogue police could break down citizens’ doors in midnight raids, schoolchildren could not be taught about evolution, writers and artists would be censored at the whim of government, and the doors of the Federal courts would be shut on the fingers of millions of citizens for whom the judiciary is often the only protector of the individual rights that are the heart of democracy.
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Bork ruled on the law . American Cyanamid previously had a policy of not hiring women in their plant because they determined that it could not lower the presence of lead in its facility to a level that would be safe for fetuses. But they instead decided that women could work in the plant if they went through voluntary sterilization. 5 women took them up on it . OSHA determined the policy was violating the prohibition against “recognized hazards” in the OSH Act and fined American Cyanamid .

The matter worked it's way up the judicial system until it eventually made it to the DC Circuit Court. The Bork led panel ruled strictly on the question of the “recognized hazards” provision of the OSHA act and decided that a sterilization did not amount to a “recognized hazard” under the act.

So based on that ,the lynch mob in the Democrat Senate determined that Bork approved the choice and was indifferent to women's rights and worker's suffering and approved of a policy that forced women to choose between their ovaries and their jobs.But the decision was only about OSHA's jurisdiction to fine the company .
    When Bork responded to questions about the case during the hearings ;he addressed the specific questions of the law and did not pass that "empathy "test .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2012, 06:29 PM
    You're borking me, right
    Expert

Dec 21, 2012, 06:46 AM
    What really happened

This is what I found.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Hello:

RIP, Judge Bork.

He was a fine fellow - just WRONG on the law. It's not surprising to find that the right wing thinks he was great.

The GOOD NEWS is, that if we're lucky, Scalia and Thomas will retire so we can RIGHT the court.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    What really happened

This is what I found.
    And how does that differ from my account ?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 03:46 PM
    We always like to get another perspective Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RIP V1 and RIP V2 [ 1 Answers ]

What is RIP V1 and RIP V2? When do we use V1 or V2? How to use it?

I get this message when I try to rip music; Windows media Player cannot rip tracks fr [ 1 Answers ]

I get this message when I try to rip music; Windows media Player cannot rip tracks from the CD correctly because the CD drive settings in the Device Manager do not match the CD drive settings in the Player. How do I fix this problem?

Bork [ 9 Answers ]

Hello wingas: Have you heard the one about "a conservative is a liberal who got mugged"? Ha, ha. How about the one "a liberal has a heart, but a conservative has a brain"? Ha, ha again. How about this one? A conservative judge, who almost made it to the Supreme Court, and who once...

Rip Off [ 1 Answers ]

What can you do if you have been taken for a ride,just bite the bullit?If I got ripped off from a company outside the internet I could report them to The Better Business Bureau and take them to Small Claims Court.Is there something for online bussinesses?

View more questions Search