Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pete_Dab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 08:53 AM
    Basement bathroom piping
    I’m planning to ad a bathroom in my basement. The house was built in 1999 and the builder installed the piping in the concrete basement floor. There is a 4“ pipe for the toilet, and two 2” pipes for a shower and sink. These three pipes extend out of the floor about 18”. There is a vent pipe that comes out of the basement floor and run up through the first floor. There is also a 6” pipe cut flush with the floor that has a threaded plug about 18” below the floor. I have not opened this plug but I assume this is a clean-out trap or a back-flow preventer. There is a similar pipe near the floor drain (opposite end of basement) that I have opened and it is a back-flow preventer. Here’s my question: There is an addition pipe in the bathroom area and I do not know what it might be for. The pipe in question is 2 or 2.5” and about flush with the floor line. The pipe has a threaded plug in the top and the plug has two large slots in the top that appear to be for a large Philips screwdriver. The plug threads also appear to a sealer on them. Any thoughts on what this pipe might be for??

This board has been a great source of information as I get ready to start this project. Thanks in advance, Pete
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2005, 10:52 AM
    Sounds like another cleanout to me. Likely Tom will confirm that when he stops in.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 18, 2005, 12:11 PM
    Basement bathroom piping
    Hey Pete, Listen to the Labman, he's correct. This is a clean out for the lavatory or tub drain line. Instead of a regular cleanout cover with a raised square your plumber installed a flush clean out cover so it would be handier to walk around. Best of luck, Tom
    Pete_Dab Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 12:56 PM
    Thanks to Labman and Tom
    Thanks, Labman and Tom, for replying to my posting.
    Pete

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom in basement [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings everyone, and thank you for viewing my post. I want to install a bathroom in my basement, but before I start ripping things up (and buying everything in sight at the home store), and after reading lots of posts on this site already, I want to ask a few questions. First, some...

Basement kitchen piping with pump where? [ 6 Answers ]

Where is it better to 'T' into the pipes in the basement. The kitchen will have a dishwasher and sinks that will use a holding tank containing a pump. Every thing has to be within 10 feet to not strain the pump. I'm worried about the position of the piping being down stream from an upstairs tiolet....

Basement bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

We are looking to install a basement bathroom using an ejector pump. Any recommendations? Can the sink and shower stall be install to pump?

Basement bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new bathroom in our basement. The house is about 2 years old. The builder insists the rough-in is ready to go but I am not so sure. The attach pictures show the right and left sides of the room from the entrance perspective. I will be placing a 72" shower pan with glass block...

New Basement Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question that I would like to see if you can answer. I have purchased a newly constructed home with a full basement. The problem is it was not stubbed for a bathroom. My question is, Where I want to locate the bathroom there is a floor drain. Can I cutup the concrete and tap into...

View more questions Search