Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetSophie31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 02:46 PM
    Can I hold dual French/US Citizenship if I was Naturalized a US Citizen in 1971?
    I was born in France to French-born parents. Left France as a child. Became a naturalized US Citizen in 1971. At the time, France did not allow dual citizenship, but now they do (as of 1973).

Can I now hold dual citizenship due to 1973 change in French law, or am I out of luck because I was naturalized a US citizen in 1971?

Merci!
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Dec 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
    You lost your French citizenship in 1971.
    You might be able to reapply, but there are probably a lot of conditions for that. Contact the French embassy.
    SweetSophie31 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Thanks. I am in touch with French Embassy. They are working on my paperwork. I provided copies of all my documents recently for French ID and Passport, and thought all was well, but now they just followed up with a question they had not asked at my appt: "When exactly did you become naturalized?" I told them 1971. I do not have the document to prove it - lost, - but can apply for replacement, although will take 4 months to get replacement certificate from US immigration services.

But why would they even want to see my 1971 naturalization certificate it if it is not even possible to have dual citizenship in my case? They said they would just prefer to see it. Sigh!

Oh well, I guess one can hope. Maybe there is some special petition I can file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandaughter of French Citizen Believes Eligible for Dual Citizenship (French/USA) [ 1 Answers ]

I recently visited my Aunt (in California) and she gave me a sparse amount of information to the effect as follows: 1.) Even though I was born in California and live in Washington State, because my grandmother was a French citizen that never naturalized American (never became and American...

Dual citizenship for grandaughter of French Citizen [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother is French with dual citizenship in the United States. I was born in the United States and just recently received my French Birth Certificate and have been added to my mother's Livret de Famille. I have a daughter working in Europe as an Expat and would like to get her french...

US naturalized citizen to become French citizen? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello! I want to know what the process is like to become a French citizen for an American Naturalized Citizen (born in Armenia). My boyfriend is French, and we might get married but we might not. I want to know : 1)how I could be granted French Citizenship without marrying my boyfriend and...

View more questions Search