Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnc73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Tapping into Septic Line
    I have just added a new shower to an existing bathroom with just a toilet. I would like to tap the shower drainage line into the toilet line that is running out of the house into our septic tank. I have never tapped into an active line. Advice on what tools, and techniques should be used to tap into the line would be helpful.

Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 08:05 AM
    A few questions first to help me understand where you are in this project. Did you properly trap the shower and also provide venting or not? What material is you drain pipe and is it exposed or in concrete
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnc73
    I have just added a new shower to an existing bathroom with just a toilet. I would like to tap the shower drainage line into the toilet line that is running out of the house into our septic tank. I have never tapped into an active line. Advice on what tools, and techniques should be used to tap into the line would be helpful.

Thanks
    You do realize that the shower will have to be vented don't you? You haven't given us much to work on. We don't know what material the pipes are and how much plumbing experience you have. Bare bones explanation?
    Cut the toilet line and install a wye or a combination wye and eighth bend to pick up the shower. Ahead , and downstream, of the shower trap roll a 2" wye up 45 degrees and take off a vent that will run out the roof or revent back in the attic to a existing roof vent. This will bring you up to the trap and trap raiser that will be positioned directly under the shower drain. Do you have the necessary plumbing skills and tools to do this? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two Story House Water Tapping Sounds [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new two story house. When ever we run the water upstairs we hear water tappings sounds coming from the floor joist space between the first and second floors. We have been in this house for 1 1/2 years and there is no leaks that we can see. The sound typically starts a few seconds after...

Secondary Drain Line Re-Routed to Primary Line [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a newly constructed condo, and it is a construction mess. In particular, there have been numerous leaks from the HVAC secondary drain line (which drains into an interior space), apparently because the HVAC drain lines have no slope. The builder “repaired” the HVAC...

Tapping a gas line [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to tap into a gas line to tee off for another appliance? Two story house with the main living area upstairs. Garage is under the front half of the house, which is the living room and kitchen. Here's why I ask. My main gas line (3/4" black iron) travels across my garage ceiling...

Tapping PVC into existing Copper [ 2 Answers ]

Hi There- I am installing a new heat pump for my pool and have a question with the plumbing. I have an old gas heater that I would like to keep for standby that used 1" copper plumbing. Does anyone know how I can tap into the copper output line with the 1-1/2" PCV output line from the heat...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search