Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Firsthome Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Can I move cold air returns to furnace at floor level from ceiling level
    A poorly designed heating system in a room addition has left me with problems. The contractor simply ran uninsulated plastic,such as that used on dryers, into an unheated,un-insulated crawlspace causing the 3 heat vents to receive nothing but cold air. Recently I simply shut the heat vents to the room because it occurred to me that I'm simply heating the outdoors as well as blowing cold air into the room. What I'd like to do is replace the plastic "junk" with insulated ductwork and use the 3 floor vents as return lines since the floor is always cold in the winter. The pre-existing crawlspace is insulated and heated. We also installed a NG fireplace in the addition but it does nothing about the cold floor. I plan to totally seal off the 2 crawlspaces from each other. The old part of the house does not have an insulated floor but I added plenty of insulation to the foundation walls. Does my idea have merit? We don't mind not heating the new room because we use the fireplace when it's occupied and what used to be a window is now open to the room and we had the doorway widened so the temp in the new room stays about the same. [email protected]

Check out some similar questions!

How to evenly distribute cold air in our split-level house? [ 4 Answers ]

We have a tri-level house where the middle (which is our living room) is the in-between level. When we turn on our A/C we find the downstairs to get pretty cold but the upstairs not so much. So, we've turned down the A/C further so it stays on and the upper level gets colder. We live in Southern...

Raising the level of a caste iron toilet flange to the level of the floor tile. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a similar problem as the person in a previous post. I installed one of those twist and sets PVC flanges right on top of my old caste iron flange but the top of the twist and set is still 3/8 inch below the tile. I am wary about using a double wax ring. Can I install one of those flange...

Can cold air returns be in the floor? [ 2 Answers ]

We are taking out a wall between the livingroom and kitchen. Can the cold air return be put into the floor?

Cold air returns are in the ceiling and cold air is coming down into the house [ 5 Answers ]

Cold air returns are in the ceiling and cold air is coming down into the house from the attic through the cold air returns. I have 3 return airs on the one side of the house one in each bedroom and on in the hallway. This side of the house is at least 10 degrees colder and the furnace runs longs...

Furnace Heating : Cold air blowing from vent from one level/ Warm air in the other [ 1 Answers ]

Ours is a 2 level house (1995), both levels heated by the same furnace ( YORK Multiposition Gas-Fired Furnace MODEL P2MP 32-112 MBH OUTPUT) . We have two digital thermostats (Hunter Programmable type) located on each floor. We were out for a few days and when we came back the lower level is getting...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.