Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrme75652 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2012, 07:52 AM
    How do you change out an ignition module on a 1992 Honda Civic
    Turned ignition at switch to the #2 pos. Check Engine light came on but only for a couple seconds and went off. Advised to change out ECM and Coil. Any advise on how to change out the ECM?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Ignition Control Module (ICM or Igniter) and Coil Replacement

Bench testing ICMs and coils is virtually useless. It does not come close to simulating the extreme heat that often causes these components to fail. I recommend replacing these critical and problematic components every 120,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable, recording any radio codes first.

2. Remove hex-head machine screws (3), securing distributor cap to housing, using an 8mm nut driver.

3. Move distributor cap and wires off to the side.

4. Remove machine screw securing rotor to shaft, using a precision #2 Phillips head screwdriver. A 1/4-inch drive magnetic bit holder (e.g. Wiha 52650) with a #2 Phillips head bit works really well. It may be necessary to "hit" the starter once or twice, in order to rotate rotor for access to mounting screw.

5. Remove rotor and leak cover.

6. Unfasten ICM wires, remove coil mounting screws (on distributors with a coil inside), and set coil aside. Trick: Removing the coil first, on distributors with a coil inside, improves access to the ICM.

7. Remove both screws securing heat sink to housing, using a precision #2 Phillips head screwdriver.

8. Remove heat sink from distributor and unfasten both screws mounting ICM to heat sink, using a precision #2 Phillips head screwdriver.

9. Clean connections with #240 abrasive cloth or steel wool.

10. Coat the back of the new ICM (or old ICM, if reusing) with a thin, even coat of silicone heat transfer compound. This special silicone grease increases heat transfer to the heat sink. Failure to apply silicone heat transfer compound will cause the ICM to quickly fail. Arctic Silver 5 is recommended by an AMHD member, which is available at Radio Shack.

If the ICM and the heat sink are simply placed together, the small air gaps (insulator) that naturally exist between them will inhibit heat transfer. By filling these gaps, the compound allows a direct path through which heat can travel. Failure to apply this grease is one reason why some Hondas suddenly die. Attention to detail makes a big difference with modern day electronics.

11. Mount ICM to heat sink and reinstall ICM, ICM terminal wires, coil, coil wires, leak cover, rotor, and distributor cap. Ensure female ICM connectors fit snugly--crimp with pliers, if necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where Is Ignition Module 1992 Honda Accord Ex [ 12 Answers ]

My Car Won't Start And I'm Not Getting Any Spark From The Coil, So I Replaced The Coil To No Avail. I Guess The Next Thing Is The Ignition Module.. can Anyone Please Tell Me Where It Is Located... thanks

Honda civic lx 2002 where is the ignition control module? [ 3 Answers ]

2002 civic lx runs great for about ten minutes goes down road like a bat out of hell then shuts down to limp accelerator pedal to the floor but it only will go 5mph can't make it up even the slightest incline... any ideas?

Honda civic si 1993 where is ignition switch module [ 1 Answers ]

Car started fine in morning, sat about 2 hours, went to start it and no fire to engine. I can hear fuel pump run and all lights come on. Took starter off and had it tested, passed... took battery out and had it tested... passed. Checked with meter where cable comes from battery to starter motor and...

Change an ignition for 1992 civic [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Go About Getting The Ignition Out Of The Unit To Change With A New One Thanks...

1990 Honda Civic Ex Ignition Module Location [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find mine as I think it's causeing my problems but I'm unable to locate it. Anyone know how to find it. Thanks

View more questions Search