Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbsoccer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
    I broke up with my girlfriend, now SHE says she needs space
    Hi all,
    Need some advice/different points of view.
    I have been with my girlfriend for 6 months. She has just graduated college and moved states to come get a job that I was helping her get. (We were kind of friends before, had some mutual friends etc.) She stayed next door to me while it was all getting set up.
    After a couple of months she ended up moving it and it was great. I knew that she had recently split from her BF. He cheated on her, emotionally abused her, controlled her etc. I didn’t know that the final split was a week before we hooked up.
    She and him remained friends with him on Facebook. He continued to 'like' posts she put up, post things on her wall. She is a genuinely nice person so didn’t say anything. After a while I mentioned that it bugged me, she said she was going to speak to him. They crossed paths at their college homecoming and one night she came across him passed out at a party, she spent 4 hours looking after him passed out.
    She didn’t tell me about this immediately but I found out. She said she didn’t tell me because it would hurt me.
    The Facebook things continued as did texting from time to time. She replied but always deleted them and never text first.
    We started arguing about this and other little nothing things. I ended up breaking up with her a couple of times. She went on vacation and whilst she was away ignored her calls and texts for a couple of days and she had a mini break down on vacation. Her parents stepped in and helped her get an apartment for when she got back.
    At the start I refused to go there, she begged me. Tried to arrange a date night there or at our old place doing all my favorite things. I refused. One night we were both out and she begged me to come back with her. I refused and went to a friend’s. As soon as I got back I regretted it and drove to her apartment.
    We had sex and stayed up all night talking, she then dropped the bombshell that we couldn’t be together. She was messed up, wasn’t good enough for me and needed space.
    We were up and down since then and I know the ex boyfriend is back in her life. Texting and calling. I asked her about it and she said she was confused. I know he’s asked her to get back with him and come and visit her (he lives different state). She’s refused both times.
    She really is the nicest person and I truly believe that by rejecting her so many times I’ve confused her even more. We continue to have sex and we hang out from time to time.
    I’m confused at whether to let you go completely and try to get over her and stay patient and be the 'nice' guy. (Which I’ve never been before).
    She’s worth the wait and I can honestly see us married one day but I don’t want to get played for a fool. I broke up with her repeatedly to begin with.

I’ve missed out some other stuff but hopefully you get the idea. She is the most selfless person and it’s a blessing and a curse for her. Any advice welcome!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
    I have been with my girlfriend for 6 months... I knew that she had recently split from her BF. He cheated on her, emotionally abused her, controlled her etc. I didn't know that the final split was a week before we hooked up.
    What I would do is forget the high expectations (marriage?) and false hope because its obvious she rebounded to you before she unpacked her baggage from the last guy. Made worse by staying in contact with him. That makes you her rescuer and emotional tampon to be used while she heals and gets strong enough to stand on her own.

For sure she is grateful for that and all the help and attention she has received from you. If you cannot be realistic and enjoy it while it's there, then you should leave before you hurt yourself.

We had sex and stayed up all night talking, she then dropped the bombshell that we couldn't be together. She was messed up, wasn't good enough for me and needed space.
    That mean no strings attached, and things could change very fast so take this as a warning and protect yourself by any means neccesary. Doubt you really know who it is you have given your heart to so fast (6 months is rather fast considering the confusion, and drama).
    jbsoccer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
    Hi talaniman,
    Thanks so much for the quick reply. I don't disagree with the rescuer piece but she is/was definitely hugely invested in the relationship. She moved states, I met her entire family, she met mine, met her best friends etc etc

We've been together 6 months but I've known her for 4 years or so.
    Im not sure its no strings for her. Sex is HUGE deal for her. She is very emotionally attached to it and doesn't have sex with many guys at all.

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    What I would do is forget the high expectations (marriage?) and false hope because its obvious she rebounded to you before she unpacked her baggage from the last guy. Made worse by staying in contact with him. That makes you her rescuer and emotional tampon to be used while she heals and gets strong enough to stand on her own.

For sure she is grateful for that and all the help and attention she has recieved from you. If you cannot be realistic and enjoy it while its there, then you should leave before you hurt yourself.

That mean no strings attached, and things could change very fast so take this as a warning and protect yourself by any means neccesary. Doubt you really know who it is you have given your heart to so fast (6 months is rather fast considering the confusion, and drama).
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
    Sex is a great pacifier for hurt, confused, on needy people, but no substitute for Good Orderly Direction and making decisions based on facts and not just feelings.

Protect yourself from the unintentional. Just in case I am right.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2012, 07:28 AM
    She's right when she says she's messed up-as she never healed from her breakup.
    Healing is a process which takes time.

Protect your heart and step away from this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend broke up, needs space [ 2 Answers ]

All right.. So my girlfriend and I agreed to "take a break and try again later". She said that we don't talk or laughed much, and that she needs more excitement. She says she needs her space, which I have never had to go through before. She says she "possibly wants to get back together, but not...

Girlfriend broke up with me. She says that she wants her space [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been going out for about a year and 9 months now. She broke up with me because I didn't treat her right and I didn't understand how she feels because she told me that most of the time I was always on the computer and also that I kept calling her names which made her feel...

Girlfriend of 4 years broke it off, said she needs to find herself and needs space? [ 1 Answers ]

Been dating my girlfriend for 4 years, everything for the most part is good, occasional bickering but overall good. She has really been my best friend and she is really close with my family, even lived here when she needed too. Everything has been fine and we have talked many times about our future...

He broke up with me because he needs his space, but he still calls me. [ 1 Answers ]

My problem is the following: My x broke up with me because he felt we needed time apart, but he wouldn't leave me alone. When we broke up I deleted him from my myspace and I gave him all his stuff back and told him not to call me again. And that lasted only 2 weeks. Then he started calling me. He...

Girlfriend left because she needed space. Giving her space, but how do I get her back [ 14 Answers ]

My girlfriend of 1 1/2 years broke up with me. She said that she needed space. The reasoning behind this is that she says she just felt unhappy for a while, because of some of my actions. I love her dearly, and I have been giving her the space she has requested. She says that she loves me, but...

View more questions Search