Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
    Hello again, wingers:

Look. I'm trying to help. We're friends.. You were wrong on taxes. You were wrong on contraceptives. You were wrong on Obamacare. You were wrong about women & Hispanics...

Your party has accepted these realities and is moving on.. Oh yeah, there's some dinosaurs. But, you don't want to be one a them.

Here's the NEW reality... There WILL be comprehensive gun control. You're wrong about that one too.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2012, 09:54 AM
    Look, there are already gun laws and there will probably be more restrictions, but you're not getting my guns. Period. It ain't going to happen. In fact, the wife and I are going for concealed carry permits.

Meanwhile, maybe you could work on our broken mental health system, a culture that thinks nothing of snuffing out human life by the millions legally, and encourage people to give their kids a mom AND a dad. Would be a start.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2012, 10:12 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

Oh, thou who's rightest knee jerketh. We ain't going to take away your guns... But, we ARE going to take away those huge magazines. We ARE going to take away assault rifles (whatever that means). We ARE going to get rid of the gun show loophole. And, we're going to make it a LOT harder to get a gun. Along with this, I think the government will get back into the business of running nut houses.

Now, I don't know if I nailed it, but I'm close.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2012, 10:37 AM
    Similar restrictions didn't work for a decade . But what the heck . Who needs results ? That has never been a left priority before .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
    But will parents lock up their guns at home and hide the key? If they don't, it won't matter how loose or restrictive gun laws are.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Every first responder and cop I have ever talked to has said the availibility of better weapons than they have has always been a hindrance and danger to them and those they serve. Maybe more first responders and cops to be where ever they are needed is a better answer as well as banning certain weapons for the general public.

Seems some trained law enforcement types to screen people before they even enter the premises of vulnerable public places would go along way in protecting the public from the dangerous loons who threaten us all. Then we can argue the value of machine guns for personal protection and what to do about the rights we have or don't have.

6 million more cops should do nicely, or is that too much to spend on public safety and protection from the bad guys? I would trust them before I trusted some civilian that likes to carry a machine gun. If you need a few hundred rounds for protection, then its you that should be evaluated, or conscripted into the army.

A few well placed cops on the perimeter would have stopped a crazy guy with bad intentions before he gets started.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Dec 18, 2012, 01:35 PM
    I've been predicting for years that sooner or later, there would be a shooting so horrific that it would finally change public opinion and force politicians to change gun laws. I think that this is the one. Even the NRA has been silent. I think they need to close the gun show loophole, I don't see how anyone could be against that yet the NRA and many politicians are, they are idiots. I don't see why gun owners are so afraid of requiring a licence to purchase and registering guns. Gun rights groups point out that Switzerland has a high rate of gun ownership, but they don't mention or probably don't that you need a licence to purchase handguns there, and they are registered. Culteral differences also explain their low crime rate. The Swiss don't have the same selfishness, sense of entitlement and disrespect towards authority and human life that Americans do.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 18, 2012, 01:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    my middle ground ... no one should own a nuke.

Tom, you say that I am too tough on your comments and I don't pay enough attention to other posts that lack credible evidence.

Could you tell me why I would not see this as fulfilling a preconceived idea I might have?

Tut
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    The Swiss don't have the same selfishness, sense of entitlement and disrespect towards authority and human life that Americans do.
    The swiss also take that militia thing seriously, they are all part of their army at one time or another, but I have met some swiss who are gun nuts too. There are things that happen in Switzerland that don't happen in the US, people don't mind their own business
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Dec 18, 2012, 02:11 PM
    What did you mean when you said they don't mind their own business? I've heard that they are very private people and they don't interfere in other people's lives unless if affects them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 02:15 PM
    I just ordered a new AR.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Every first responder and cop I have ever talked to has said the availibility of better weapons than they have has always been a hindrance and danger to them and those they serve. Maybe more first responders and cops to be where ever they are needed is a better answer as well as banning certain weapons for the general public.

Seems some trained law enforcement types to screen people before they even enter the premises of vulnerable public places would go along way in protecting the public from the dangerous loons who threaten us all. Then we can argue the value of machine guns for personal protection and what to do about the rights we have or don't have.

6 million more cops should do nicely, or is that too much to spend on public safety and protection from the bad guys? I would trust them before I trusted some civilian that likes to carry a machine gun. If you need a few hundred rounds for protection, then its you that should be evaluated, or conscripted into the army.

A few well placed cops on the perimeter would have stopped a crazy guy with bad intentions before he gets started.
    I think they had the same thing in Nazi Germany about the time of the war. Should we just throw out the constitution and let you libs do anything you feel like? This is the direct cause of why the states want to split apart. And as far as the police and first responders goes. Someone isn't telling you the truth. For one thing first responders don't carry weapons. It is not allowed. And the police have more military hardware then you can possibly imagine. Your living in a dream world if you think otherwise. Got proof ?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I just ordered a new AR.
    Hope you got one of these ;)

Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
    That's next. We already have 2 but we need another. Hold on to them for a couple of years then sell for a profit. Oh yeah!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
    You're nuts
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Nah. Just a collector, most are in our local museum. In all the guns we have are worth more than our house. Many have been passed down to us for a couple of generations. Nice liftoff nest egg should we ever need it.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 03:01 PM
    The nra has realeased a statement according to cnn

Here is a copy and paste from cnn's Facebook page
    BREAKING NEWS: NRA, in its first statement after the Newtown shootings, says it is prepared "to help make sure this never happens again" CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post

Ah yes, always looking for the government to solve all your problems. At what point will it hit you that all those government "solutions" have zapped your freedom?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    I think they had the same thing in Nazi Germany about the time of the war. Should we just throw out the constitution and let you libs do anything you feel like? This is the direct cause of why the states want to split apart. And as far as the police and first responders goes. Someone isn't telling you the truth. For one thing first responders don't carry weapons. It is not allowed. And the police have more military hardware then you can possibly imagine. Your living in a dream world if you think otherwise. Got proof ?
    So having a principal with a AR is better than more trained cops, outside the building?

As passed by the Congress:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    What part of regulations are you not understanding? What country do YOU live in that puts more importance on supposed rights than protecting the common good?

Google mayors on gun control, then Google police on gun control and read my proof since the mayors, and cops I know personally don't bother with right wing talking points and are on the front line of criminal activity and loony carnage. You can't stop loonies and criminals from getting what the want illegally, we haven't yet but we can deny them through law the access to WMD.

You just keep waiting for the next shooting, while CT was only one of 4 around the country last week.

Brag about your rights after the funerals.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
    A principal with a gun could have stopped this man in his tracks.

Our elementary school is now on lockdown. You can't get into the school without going to the front office AND the principal is now carrying.

We need to ban spoons because they make people fat. We need to ban cars because they kill people when their driver is drunk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ready Aim Fire - aka the GUN thread [ 468 Answers ]

Ok, Hope its OK to start this thread about gun discussion and practices. Debate or recommend or tell your favorite gun stories. Above all respect opinions and have fun!!

Gun control by fiat? [ 17 Answers ]

Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means. WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice. I'm sure that is "under the...

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

The Dems have a loaded gun and they know how to shoot themselves in the foot with it [ 7 Answers ]

Democrats want 'John Doe' provision cut - Nation/Politics - The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

"shoot me in the butt with a bb gun" - song on Wildboyz [ 0 Answers ]

My s.o. heard a song that he categorized as country western on the Wildboyz -- some of the lyrics are "shoot me in the butt with a bb gun" Can you tell me the title and artist of the song?

View more questions Search