Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 04:21 AM
    I cannot see a number of things in there, in particular property. nor do I see guns.
    Because you don't understand that the pursuit of happiness was property rights . Look it up . I don't have time to play word games.. the end of the world is hours away. I said that everyone has a right to defend their right.. that's where guns come in.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2012, 04:44 AM
    Hello again, tom:

I said that everyone has a right to defend their right.. that's where guns come in.
    So, you're from the wing that thinks assault rifles can defend against Apache helicopters and 50 caliber machine guns, huh?

Alrightee, then.

Excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 06:24 AM
    Didn't you already point out that the greatest army in the world has issues against comparatively simple unsophisticated weapons ?
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 21, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Wow it's been a long time since I took this quiz. A truth is a fact. A self evident truth is so obvious that it's well understood without having to provide proof . To save time I'll offer that an unalienable right is a natural right as recognized by the thinkers of the Enlightement What's your point ?

[QUOTE =tombder55;3351240]

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by the Creator unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness

[/QUOTE]

You appear to have posted contradictory statements in terms of unalienable rights. Where do these types of rights come from according to the Enlightenment time you are talking about? From the Creator? No.The idea was to reject the Creator as an architect of natural rights.

Tut
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Hello again, tom:

didn't you already point out that the greatest army in the world has issues against comparatively simple unsophisticated weapons ?
    That was me.. But the unsophisticated weapons I was TALKING about were IED's - not puny assault rifles.

Now, I understand that IF the government attacked you, you'd DITCH the rifles and GET a couple tanks, and I'd be right there with you... But that kind of belies your need for assault weapons at all.

Or, are you still going to maintain the fantasy that having an assault rifle in your closet is DEFENDING the country??

Excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    [QUOTE =tombder55;3351240]

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by the Creator unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness

You appear to have posted contradictory statements in terms of unalienable rights. Where do these types of rights come from according to the Enlightenment time you are talking about? From the Creator? No.The idea was to reject the Creator as an architect of natural rights.

Tut[/QUOTE]

Have a nice day.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

That was me.. But the unsophisticated weapons I was TALKING about were IED's - not puny assault rifles.

Now, I understand that IF the government attacked you, you'd DITCH the rifles and GET a couple tanks, and I'd be right there with you... But that kinda belies your need for assault weapons at all.

Or, are you still gonna maintain the fantasy that having an assault rifle in your closet is DEFENDING the country???

excon
    Defending the country ? Not necessarily . Protecting my life and property ? Yes.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 01:15 PM
    You will be like that fellow in Syria on the news, desolation all around him but he won't leave his property
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2012, 01:49 PM
    Hello again, tom:

protecting my life and property ? Yes.
    Then you won't need a 100 round magazine. I'll bet you're defending your family FINE right now WITHOUT one.

Excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
    Well Nanny Bloomberg seems to think a gun shouldn't need more than 3 rounds because if you can't hit a deer in that many shots you're a lousy shot. It's not about hunting.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, tom:

Then you won't need a 100 round magazine. I'll bet you're defending your family FINE right now WITHOUT one.

excon
    I've already said that I have no problem with limiting rounds in magazines.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 03:17 PM
    How about limiting them to single shot?
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    How about limiting them to single shot?
    Ball and powder no doubt.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 21, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Heck, let's just get rid of them all and be done with it.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Heck, let's just get rid of them all and be done with it.
    That would be a firm negative.
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    What ever turns you on, you should follow the founding fathers in everything, but seriously, hunting; you should only need one well aimed shot, and ditto for an intruder, if you have more than that you are screwed anyway, and not every confrontation will be the 400lb guy it would take a clip to bring down
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    what ever turns you on, you should follow the founding fathers in everything, but seriously, hunting; you should only need one well aimed shot, and ditto for an intruder, if you have more than that you are screwed anyway, and not every confrontation will be the 400lb guy it would take a clip to bring down
    How much hunting have you actually done or have you ever dealt with a home invasion ?
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2012, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    How much hunting have you actually done or have you ever dealt with a home invasion ?
    I've done a little hunting and no, not home invasion just a siege, state protection group and all that. We don't have many home invasions here, they seem to happen among ethnic groups
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 22, 2012, 03:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post

have a nice day.

Don't be like that Tom. I might be able to help a bit.

It doesn't really matter that a Creator is mentioned in the Declaration of Independence, but not in the Constitution. When they give differing accounts of the origin of liberty we can always say that the Declaration of Independence is not an actual constitutional document. It is in fact, just what it says it is. Namely, a justification for the rejection of British rule.

If we put aside this document ( for this purpose) then we are not subject to the criticism we are trying to claim that all rights are God given rights. Clearly the Enlightenment thinkers of the time, notably Locke, would have course reject the idea that we are in any way benefactors of Divine rights. Instead they preferred the idea of natural rights.

Locke claimed that natural rights are those rights that men enjoy in a state of nature before the advent of organized society and its legal system. Leaving aside any problems with this claim the important point is that Lock's account is a prescriptive explanation for rights. This is regardless of any move on the part of Locke to provide us with a descriptive explanation for rights. In other words Lock is saying that men ought to have these rights.

Tut
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2012, 05:16 AM
    You can't help Tom he is like the NRA guns are an answer to everything, right now they are running scared and so they should be, they have encouraged these weapons in the community

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ready Aim Fire - aka the GUN thread [ 468 Answers ]

Ok, Hope its OK to start this thread about gun discussion and practices. Debate or recommend or tell your favorite gun stories. Above all respect opinions and have fun!!

Gun control by fiat? [ 17 Answers ]

Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means. WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice. I'm sure that is "under the...

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

The Dems have a loaded gun and they know how to shoot themselves in the foot with it [ 7 Answers ]

Democrats want 'John Doe' provision cut - Nation/Politics - The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

"shoot me in the butt with a bb gun" - song on Wildboyz [ 0 Answers ]

My s.o. heard a song that he categorized as country western on the Wildboyz -- some of the lyrics are "shoot me in the butt with a bb gun" Can you tell me the title and artist of the song?

View more questions Search