Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Parispam View Post
    But, really who in there right mind has an arsenal like Nancy Lanza. Wow!! She knew her son may of had mental illness and didn't lock the guns away!!
    We don't know that. She wasn't a stupid woman, from what has been reported about her. The guns may have been locked up and Adam watched secretly to see where she hid the key. We just don't know if she was that careless.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2012, 08:21 PM
    She wasn't stupid, just slightly mad?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
    she wasn't stupid, just slightly mad?
    Mad about what? What was she angry about?
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 PM
    Mad as in a few sandwiches short of a picnic
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    mad as in a few sandwiches short of a picnic
    Why would you conclude that?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 09:25 PM
    Sorry, I think my kids are better protected with a trained professional and can deal with many emergencies a well armed loonie can present before he gets inside of the school and unleashes mayhem and carnage. Many cities, big and small are redeploying police at the schools while we properly train your administrator or staff in the proper procedures.

And will you give these folk a raise for there CCP trained extra duties? Yeah an armed staff sounds great on paper, but I rather have a trained professional other than a secretary or principal.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 09:28 PM
    Tal, why don't you think a secretary or principal can be properly trained?
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
    Sure they can at a shooting range which is a far cry from police training or combat experience. Its unfair to have a civilian as the only line of defense of our children. I mean facing a guy that can spray 60 bullets a minute is not like a gun range or shooting a deer.

Sorry, trained professionals ONLY! Not inside, but protecting the perimeter. And just curious what the real purpose of 30 shot magazines other than the thrill of shredding a target? I don't think that thrill is worth having it fall into the wrong hands.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
    I am properly trained. Do you have a problem with that?
    Expert

Dec 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
    Unless you have the required hours of tactical training I would have a problem with JUST you protecting my kids. Or any other civilian no matter how well trained. No doubt you would try your best. Many would.

Now about those 30 round clips?
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2012, 11:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Why would you conclude that?
    Aren't all gunnuts? They are like revheads
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 12:53 AM
    This is where your nonsense with guns is taking you
    Utah boy, 11, takes gun to school after Newtown school shooting | News.com.au
    You need to contemplate the damage gun culture is doing to children, its not just killing them it is putting them at serious risk.

This kid has has his life ruined because of careless handling of a gun. He will be charged, he will be banished from his school friends and this is so easy, just a careless moment. What if he had loaded that gun?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 03:23 AM
    Tal ,perimeter defense is a very practical idea. Let's face it . Suppose a pickup truck full of readily available explosives had driven up to the school and detonated. There is a good chance there would've been a bigger tragedy .But a guard manning a perimeter fence could've made a difference.

I think the Principle had the right approach ;and if she had been armed or had a defensive weapon like a can of pepper spray ,the attacker may been disabled enough to be subdued.

Hundreds of school districts and colleges across the U.S. have also adopted a more controversial approach to safety: teaching staff -- and students -- to fight back in the face of danger.

The ALICE protocol, developed a decade ago by a former police officer in response to a series of school shootings, rejects as inadequate the traditional response to an armed intruder, which prompts teachers and students to lock themselves in their classroom, turn out the lights and hide as best they can.

Greg Crane, the retired police officer who developed ALICE, says rather than fall back on that response, students and teachers must develop the confidence that allows them to think on their feet.

If they can escape the building quickly, through a window perhaps, why huddle in a darkened classroom? And if an intruder enters the classroom, why remain passive; why not run around, scream, throw books and desks at the gunman, even try to tackle him, Crane asks.

"If a predator tried to snatch a child off the street, what part of our advice is for him to remain quiet, static, passive?" Crane asked. "We want you throwing things, yelling, trying to get out of there," he said. The same should hold in a classroom, he said, arguing that even 5- and 6-year-olds can cause enough distraction to confuse a gunman and perhaps buy a few minutes for escape.

"Chaos is not a bad thing," Crane said. "We want to see chaos. That makes it very difficult for the shooter to operate."

The ALICE program -- it stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate -- has sparked concern in some communities, with parents protesting that terrified children can't be asked to confront crazed gunmen or make snap decisions about escape routes.

But Crane said his company, Response Options, which is based in Burleson, Texas, has been flooded with calls since Friday from officials eager to sign up for his $400 training workshop, which prepares participants to teach ALICE to students and teachers in their communities.
    Rush to boost school safety sparks flurry of ideas and questions - Yahoo! News
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 19, 2012, 03:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    maybe I should've used the sarcasm font to make it more obvious ?

Well there you go. I though that your comment was an indication that you believed there is no middle ground in the discussion.

If it were up to you what would put on the table for starters?

Tut
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 04:48 AM
    If it were up to you what would put on the table for starters?
    Automatic weapons like machine guns should be restricted to law enforcement and legit collectors. I have no problem with restrictions on the amt of ammo in a clip. I have no problem with more comprehensive backround checks . I have no problem with registration of all guns .I have no problem with license renewal. I have no problem with the elimination of the so called 'gun show exception'.
    But the guns used in the attack ? Yes I have a problem with those being banned . Focus on the attacker . I'll say it again. He could've done more damage with a car full of legally obtained fertilizer .
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 05:04 AM
    Hello again, tom:

I'll say it again. He could've done more damage with a car full of legally obtained fertilizer .
    Nahhhh... He'd have to KNOW about a fertalizer bomb. He'd have to KNOW how to make it. He'd have to KNOW where to buy the makings. He'd have to HAVE the money to buy it. He'd have to MAKE it.

But, the GUN was right on the table... That makes it SOOOOOOO much EASIER to murder these children. I know you don't understand... I'm sorry.

Excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2012, 05:06 AM
    Tom get real, that idiot used a military weapon, just because it didn't say M16 doesn't mean it wasn't an M16. You need to get real, the manufacturer is running for cover, the investors are running for cover and here you are saying you have a problem with them being banned, I don't think the NRA has a problem right now they want to salvage something or things might get like Germany where you can have the gun but the magazine will hold two shots. Thing is Tom very few people go hunting dangerous animals and very few people go hunting deer so very few people need these guns. There is only one reason to have guns like this and it is to kill people and if you can still buy that fertilizer without going through a licencing process, well what can I say, someone over there isn't serious
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Now about those 30 round clips?
    Why a 30 round magazine ? Since most riflles that are of the class that can take a 30 round mag are considered varmit rifles then the high capacity is made for that purpose. When getting rid of varmits it makes it much more easy then to have to reload constantly and to scatter groups to where they might not be reached.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 05:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Tom get real, that idiot used a military weapon, just because it didn't say M16 doesn't mean it wasn't an M16. You need to get real, the manufacturer is running for cover, the investors are running for cover and here you are saying you have a problem with them being banned, I don't think the NRA has a problem right now they want to salvage something or things might get like Germany where you can have the gun but the magazine will hold two shots. Thing is Tom very few people go hunting dangerous animals and very few people go hunting deer so very few people need these guns. There is only one reason to have guns like this and it is to kill people and if you can still buy that fertilizer without going through a licencing process, well what can I say, someone over there isn't serious
    You are so far off base I don't even know where to begin. What the shoorter used was NOT a M16. It was not a fully automatic weapon. They make the guns different internally on purpose so they can't be converted without special machining.

And many many people hunt here in the U.S. as well as hunt very dangerous animals. In Texas and other southern states there is a huge wild hog problem. They are extremely dangerous.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2012, 05:11 AM
    Hello again, dad:

In order to have a few more children, HAVING a few more varmints MIGHT be one of the prices we have to pay.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ready Aim Fire - aka the GUN thread [ 468 Answers ]

Ok, Hope its OK to start this thread about gun discussion and practices. Debate or recommend or tell your favorite gun stories. Above all respect opinions and have fun!!

Gun control by fiat? [ 17 Answers ]

Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means. WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice. I'm sure that is "under the...

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

The Dems have a loaded gun and they know how to shoot themselves in the foot with it [ 7 Answers ]

Democrats want 'John Doe' provision cut - Nation/Politics - The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

"shoot me in the butt with a bb gun" - song on Wildboyz [ 0 Answers ]

My s.o. heard a song that he categorized as country western on the Wildboyz -- some of the lyrics are "shoot me in the butt with a bb gun" Can you tell me the title and artist of the song?

View more questions Search