Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RICKlee46 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 05:06 PM
    Local area connection
    When trying to get connected ,I get this message in the toolbar,limited or no connectivity, I was using wireless and it worked fine, but when I used ethernet, I get this message, ethernet set up is >dell optiplex,windows xp, with comacast cable, netgear switch,and mac airport as the wireless. I can enable the internet connection and it will be enabled for a very short (10 sec) time, and then disconnect, please help, I am senior citizen so have patience. Should I reset the modem, unplug to reboot,? Thank you
    aerotampa Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Disable wireless in network connections... unplug ethernet cable from PC, turn OFF PC... reset router... let it come back up, plug in ethernet cable and then turn on PC... that should wake up things and then hopefully all devices will talk to each other just fine :-)

Dec 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
    Thank you so much. I will try this and let you know

Dec 16, 2012, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RICKlee46 View Post
    Thank you so much. I will try this and let you know
    And DID you get my reply?

Dec 17, 2012, 12:21 AM
    It still stops connecting after a few seconds, and says the problem might be in the network and not the computer (not connected to network, or limited connectivity
    aerotampa Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2012, 07:32 AM
    OK now see if it's a hardware or software issue reboot that thing into safe mode WITH networking... turn OFF PC wait a min then turn ON and right away start tapping F8 key until you see advanced menu options, use up and down arrows to highlight safe mode with networking, hit enter, 2x maybe, it will load basic drivers and hopefully get you on, if it does and you keep a connection, we have to hunt for a software issue maybe.

Dec 17, 2012, 02:41 PM
    THANK YOU I have to wait ,to get on computer at home. FRIEND, I tried to use the windows repair and got this message>>redetect connection devices,windows could not finish repairing th problem because the following action cannot be completed (renewing your IP address) for assistance contact the person who manages your network (WHICH IS ME, I think) thank you again

Dec 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
    Sorry , it took so long to answer, holiday, and I could not get computer up, all is well now. I worked and ran an ethernet directly from the modem to computer and reset the modem, and that seemed to work.thank you for your willingness to help.Now if I can get you to help me with setting up my belkin wireless router for two computers, both running windows xp sp3. Thank you again
    srirambudi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
    Hi.. I have the same problem what you asked ? My internet connection is alive for few seconds and everything is same as your problem. What have you done to overcome the problem? Please help at the earliest.I am in need... Thank u..

Dec 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
    I turn everything off, then reset the modem, wait 20sec, turn on everything, one at a time, make sure the local area is enabled, and wireless disabled. I have not tried my router with this, but I hope this helps you or at least give you another something to try. Good luck (let me know how it turns out) please
    srirambudi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2012, 12:33 AM
    OK.thanks.but " reset the modem " means Turn off the modem or anything else??

Dec 27, 2012, 12:00 PM
    There should be a small pin hole ,that you insert the end of a paper clip, until lights go out, wait for them to come up , if there is no reset pin hole, there should be a button ,if not I guess you will have to unplug from modem the power switch, good luck to you,let me know if it helps or not.
    spirit1243 Posts: 68, Reputation: -3

Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
    1) Unplug the modem from the power source (including the cable cord) and then wait a bit before plugging everything back again;

2) Wait ten minutes and then stick a pin in the "reset hole" and hold it for 15 seconds;

3) Wait another ten minutes before rebooting.

Try this if it doesn't work I'll finger out some other solutions

Jan 31, 2013, 11:30 PM
    spirit1243, I found a way to forward all incoming e-mail to a new hotmail e-mail account I have set up and it works, then I manually transferred each contact to new hotmail, a slow process.I use a couple of computers,work,laptop,tower,and a mini mac,after rebooting ,the laptop ,and my two desktop, seemed to be working with the hotmail e-mail,because of the e-mail being forwared to the new account, only problem , I need your help with is my folders in the old e-mail needs to be moved, could you help with this, thanks again for all your help, it is truly appreciated and truly needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Local Area Connection [ 6 Answers ]

I have had my PC for about 2 years now , unfortunately on AOL! I keep getting a "Local Area Connection3" cable is unplugged , which I presume is either my phone line or the usb from my modem?? This is literally every 2 minutes and it's a real pain.. Also AOL is going mad as well , my PC...

No local Area Connection [ 10 Answers ]

I basically reformatted my PC to Windows 7 and I have a duel boot on my PC, Unix and Windows, my Windows 7 doesn't see my Router and has no Local Area Connection In the Network And Sharing Center, although my Unix sees my Router and Works Perfectly with it, any ideas?

Local Area Connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am Yatin, Whenever I go to local area connection and on it the optios "Sent and Received" keeps on moving faster. I Don't know what to do.And also when I go sites which I enabled http: it comes that this is encrypted.And also the connection is slow. Please help.

Fixing Local Area Connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, In my household, my computer is the one that is connected to the router. Just recently, my internet on all off my family members computers is fine, but mine is not working. There is a message that keeps saying there is a problem with my Local Area Connection, but I have no idea what to do....

Local area connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently restore my PC system, I have a webstar dpc2100 modem, It was connected before my PC crash, but now I cannot get connected to internet and local area connection is missing, How can setup again this to connect to inetrnet? thanks in advance for your help. :)

View more questions Search