Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04091985 Posts: 86, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2007, 01:43 AM
    Forward lookup,reverse lookup
    Hi
    I am not getting the idea what exactly is FORWARD LOOKUP, REVERSE LOOKUP,zones while configuring DNS . Can anone explain briefly or give me the link to go through:)
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Mar 19, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Forward lookups: Resolves a name to an IP. Example, resolves Google to an IP address.
    Reverse Lookup: Resolves an IP to a name. Example, given an IP address you can resolve that back to a name.

Forward lookups happen every time you use your browser for example. You type a URL which your browser takes the hostname portion of that URL and resolves that to an IP address (by way of your OS).

Reverse lookups happen more and more often now-a-days with mail servers where they lookup the reverse of an IP address that is trying to connect to them to determine if they will accept email from them depending on some policy.

A zone is just a "section" of the configuration that you place your forward and reverse tables. It is often organized on a per domain basis for forward lookups and on IP subnet boundries for reverse lookup but that's not a hard and fast rule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The request lookup key was not found in any active activation context [ 21 Answers ]

Hi there Please can somebody help me by guiding me on how to solve this problem I have with my internet. Well the problem is when I type in a web address in the address bar on top but every time I click on Go it comes up with : "THE REQUEST LOOKUP KEY WAS NOT FOUND IN ANY ACTIVAITON CONTEXT"...

Forward as attachment [ 3 Answers ]

Is it still possible to forward a single email as an attachment using Microsoft Office 2003? I've recently started using BlueSecurity.com and I frequently need forward a single piece of spam to them but I can't find the forward as attachment option. If I select two or more emails they will send...

Cascading lookup fields... [ 3 Answers ]

Want to use the form frmCardDetails to populate tblCards. Want to select the sport from a lookup field linked to tblSports and then the League from tblLeagues, BUT only displaying the leagues that are included in that sport. I have looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/209595/en-us and...

Too forward - Question for women? [ 19 Answers ]

All right ladies this is for you... I am recently on the open market... You'll know my situation from my other posts. Here is the question. I find myself at the bar very willing to talk to any girl that sparks my interest. I just walk up or tap them on there shoulder and ask them their...

One step forward, two back [ 26 Answers ]

I have been dating a guy off and on for over 3 months but don't get to see him often as he has a son and between that, his job and his church, I am a distant 4th place. He had to break plans with me tonight and I asked him why (via e-mail) and if he was dating anyone else, we'll because I jumped...

View more questions Search