Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
    Taxable income from a short sale
    Is it true that the IRS can tax you on the difference betwee your mortgage amount and the final short sale elling price. $200K mortgage, $100k short sale, IRS taxes that $100K difference
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
    It depends, but for most taxpayers in 2012 this is not the case. It depends on whether the house was your principle residence - if it was, then the difference between the outstanding loan amount and the short sale amount is not taxable to you. This is because the Mortgage Foregiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007 which gives a brake to homeowners losing their house through foreclosure. But this act expires at the end of 2012, so if you don't close on the short sale in the next 2 weeks then yes - the difference would be considered taxable in 2013. There is a bill in congress to extend the provision past 2012 but so far there has been very little movement on it (not a surprise if you're watching the fiscal cliff negotiations).

Also - if you declare insolvency prior to the foreclosure then it's not taxable.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines;
    Also - if you declare insolvency prior to the forclosure then it's not taxable.
    How does one "declare insolvency"? You mean bankruptcy?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 20, 2012, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    How does one "declare insolvency"? You mean bankruptcy?
    The IRS makes a distinction between the two. Bankruptcy is a court action such as Title 11 Chapter 7. Declaring insolvency to the IRS is simply a matter of filing Form 982 with your tax return to show that your liabilities exceed your assets. See IRS Pub 4681, "Canceled Debts, Foreclosures, Repossessions and Abandonments." Page 4 discusses how to declare insolvency.

http://www.irs.gov/file_source/pub/irs-pdf/p4681.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Investment income, temporary or a permanent difference on the taxable income? [ 1 Answers ]

"Alegro also anticipates investing in local county bonds which should earn about $7,000 investment income in 2010."

Taxable income [ 1 Answers ]

How to comput taxable income?

Taxable and non-taxable income in 2008 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have already asked this question, but I made a mistake, So here it is as it supposed to be: Briefly my situation: I and my wife came to the USA in September, 2006. I have J1 visa- scholar (from the very beginning) and my wife J2, we are citizens of Poland. We have never left the USA...

Do those income count among my taxable income?-dual status [ 4 Answers ]

Please help, I am on dual status for 2008 tax purpose. I was on H1B and left US in April, 2008. My questions are: During my non-resident period of 2008, I only received interests from US saving account and dividends from US brokerage account(some of dividends distributed in my IRA and mutual...

On NJ Tax form, for income taxed by NY, do I use the NY AGI or NY Taxable Income amt? [ 1 Answers ]

When filling out the NJ Income Tax form, I have to identify the amount of income taxed by NY State. Do I use the Adjusted Gross Income value (NY form IT-203) line 31, or the NY Taxable Income value from line 37?

View more questions Search