Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Dec 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Eviction troubles...
    My mother is trying to evict someone from one of our houses in California... She went to court yesterday and the case was thrown out because the Judge believed the tenant when she said she had been paying rent to my father... She never paid any rent to my father... He wasn't in court because he was at work... He couldn't turn it around and say that she hadn't paid him anything... So the case was dismissed and my mom is going to try again... In your opinion, is there any chance of us winning? Would the court do anything about the lie the tenant told?

Thanks in advance!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 12:20 PM
    The only direct evidence the court had at the hearing was the tenant's word. If next time, either on a motion to reconsider or a re-flied eviction case, you get your father in the courtroom to testify that he had received nothing, the judge is likely to see through the tenant's delay tactics.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Or you bring a sworn statement that no rent was paid and require the tenant to prove that payment was made. Produce proof that tenants are given receipts for cash payments.

Though I must admit I'm surprised that a judge would just take the tenants word for it. Its hard to prove a negative. The tenant should be able to prove by receipts or cancelled checks, that they paid. So they should be required to do so.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
    I agree with Scott, judges want proof like cancelled checks. Maybe there is more to the story than you have been told. Wsa mom in court or did your side now show at all?
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Dec 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
    There could well be more to the story... I put what my mother told me. She was the only one in court... It is a weird case really... The rental agreement was verbal. In all honesty, the agreement was broken months ago. Mom only just filed mid November... 3 day pay or quit followed by unlawful detainer... I'd try to get more info from my mom, but it seems like she's turned our house into a war zone because my dad wasn't there...

Just being slightly ignorant here... W/Could it be considered perjury when the judge finds out the truth at the next eviction hearing? That's the one thing my mom wants me to find out... The rest of the question was mine...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Depends on the terms of the hearing. If the tenant testified under oath, then it is perjury. But that doesn't mean a prosecutor will prosecute.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 15, 2012, 08:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem;
    Depends on the terms of the hearing. If the tenant testified under oath, then it is perjury. But that doesn't mean a prosecutor will prosecute.
    For one thing, the burden of proof is "beyond a reasonable doubt" in a criminal perjury prosecution. Could well be that the judge won't believe the tenant in the eviction case (where the burden of proof is "more likely than not"), but a jury in a criminal case can't be persuaded, "beyond a reasonable doubt" that the tenant was lying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C troubles... [ 2 Answers ]

My Central air quit working yesterday morning. Thermostat set at 78 indoor temp at 86. When I turn on the unit. I can hear the blower come on and air comes out of the vents. When I go outside after I turn on the unit, I can hear a buzzing sound. I used a screwdriver to spin the fan and it...

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Pc troubles [ 8 Answers ]

I have had problems with my computer for quite some time now, and was wanting to know how to wipe out my p.c. and start fresh. I have had some malware viruses and I have gotten rid of them and keep getting them back. I have had people work on my PC and am tired of having to pay to get it fixed. So...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

View more questions Search