Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Mar 14, 2007, 10:35 PM
    I believe geography dictates YOUR religion
    Lets face it, if you were born in China, Africa, India etc... chances are you would NOT be a christian or hear much about christianity. Kids are brought up to believe in the same beliefs as their family, some... SOME grow up and actually change their belief systems but most don't. So basically, religion is mainly about geography and where you are born. Here in the USA Christianity is #1 practiced religion so naturally the majority here are christians.

So, how does that make all those other people around the world "wrong" for believing in what they do based on geography/family upbringing and YOU and your religion the correct one?

Just curious.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 12:15 AM
    I do not believe it has anything to do with geography.

In Columbia, The country. Is 95 percent Roman Catholic. There are many other countries that have a good mixture of different religions.

There are people who are brought up in one religion or even no religion and decide to change it themselves when older.

There is also a big difference between different religions and different denominations.

I was brought up in a certain denomination but I also believe and watch and attend services not just from my denomination but Baptist as well.

I do not believe anything is 100 percent. Wrong or right I think there is wrong and right in every single denomination and every single religion.

There are many countries that if you believe in Christianity you are prosecuted for it. Just because they may not record that christianity is popular in certain parts of the world. Many church leaders and followers need to do it under ground so the government does not know about their services.

I could go on, but I hope I made my point.

Joe

Mar 15, 2007, 01:54 AM
    I don't really understand your point, but that's OK! I do however agree that nothing is 100% and I still believe that geography plays a HUGE role in what religion you practice.

I guess my point is that many (and probably most) of the "christians" I know believe that if you do NOT believe that "Jesus died on the cross for your sins and that he is the one and only way to the father" then you will NOT be saved by the grace of G_d.

In other words, any belief other than -will basically lead you to an eternal afterlife in hell. (ie; Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Wicca, etc-}
    And that's a broad brush I'm using as most "christians" would probably say any belief outside of their OWN specific denomination... since christianity includes : Roman Catholics, Southern Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, etc... and we know that Baptists don't agree with Catholics and then Jehovahs Witness would never be paired with Mormons and so on... so christianity itself is almost one big dysfunctional family to say the least! Lol! But that's a whole other thread! :)

But my point was that most practicing Muslim, Buddists, Hindus etc... are of that specific because of WHERE they were born and then passed on by their parents! Just like here in the US! Its all about Geography, IMO. I don't know of many children being raised as practicing "Muslim, Buddist, Hindus" here in the US... unless of course their parents are from other areas but residing here. (Which still leads us back to geography:)
    Maybe my question is getting lost in translation or something? Or maybe I'm the only one with that opinion! :) or maybe its just late!
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2007, 02:15 AM
    I somehow see your point!!

So Europeans, what's their religion most likely to be?
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Mar 15, 2007, 12:04 PM
    I agree with you that where you live has a lot to do with what religion you may be, at least be born with. However, there are Christians in India, China, Africa, etc.-mostly because of Christian missionaries having brought the Gospel there.
    Jesushelper is correct about some of them having to practice their faith in secrecy because of persecution.
    So, ultimately it is HARDER to become a Christian where it wouldn't be the major religion.
    Still, at an age of accountability, we all (in civilized countries) will have heard about Jesus, so there is no excuse(some can worship the Lord even if it's just in their hearts & can't show it outwardly) The Indians Christians(from India) take part in Indian culture & festivals, but do not do the idol worship like the Hindus do.
    And I believe(not just me actually) that we all have a God-consciousness that keeps us doing good & knowing what is bad. This is why people in the most remote area of the world, where people who truly will not get to hear of the Gospel, will be judged- on their limited knowledge & actions alone.
    I believe that is why God is holding back Armegeddon. So more souls will be saved. But the signs of the times according to the prophesies in the Bible are starting to show that time is running out. One thing the Bible says that stands out to me that we haven't seen yet, is many coming & saying there are the Messiah. I haven't heard any claims or news about ANY false Jesus' yet. Unless I missed something, we are still supposed to witness that before the finish.Christians in China

Mar 15, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Ok, but the question I always ask my christian friends is this...

If we were ALL created by G_d, then WHY are those who practice a different religion in other parts of the world, why are THEY wrong to believe as they do? {Meaning other than Christianity} WHY would they be doomed to an afterlife in hell?
    How do you know just WHO is right?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Who is dooming these people? From what you say, other people are doing the dooming and condemning. We are all going to be surprised at the very end - to see who is in Heaven. It is not for you or me or the next one to point a finger.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Mar 15, 2007, 02:48 PM
    I see your point, Mom. I think there are several things influencing the geographical nature of religion. One is active missionary work. Helping the disenfranchised is still good at racking up converts. Africa has a surprisingly rapid Christian growth rate because of it. Africa is predicted to be the big Christian power base eventually and I believe that is what factored in the Pope finally allowing the use of condoms for those who are married to someone with aids - so they may have safe sex. Sad that it only comes now when it risks making new converts and not when the prevention of aids was first discovered.

The other is the proliferation of information that makes breaking with familial or cultural values easier and easier. Where there is internet, essentially, the handing down of beliefs is being disrupted. The US is the most diversified country on earth as far as religion goes and Christianity is being outdistanced by several others here as we speak. So geography won't be the reason in the long run and the more progressive or developed the country is, the more it isn't working along geographical lines at all.

Those who practice religious arrogance of the sort you mention are being held up to an ever-growing-more-aware world audience too. Religious tolerance is being practiced more and more as people figure out how toxic religious prejudice really is. Those who are losing in this will shout louder and louder but they eventually get out voted, I think.

Mar 15, 2007, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Who is dooming these people? From what you say, other people are doing the dooming and condemning. We are all going to be surprised at the very end - to see who is in Heaven. It is not for you or me or the next one to point a finger.

Well most of my christian friends do! I wouldn't say they are "dooming" them... judging their choices, definitely!

This just came up in a discussion one night and I thought some of the people were very arrogant about how THEIR religion was thee only TRUE one. So I asked them about geography and how it can and does dictate/influence our choices... but I just got the ole' "how dare I question the Bible" look. :)

Thanks all for your honest opines! :) I hope more respond too!

Mar 15, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    I do not believe it has anything to do with geography.

Joe
    You really think "Geography" plays no importance as to our choices in life?

OooooooKaaaaaaaaaaaay! ;)

Mar 15, 2007, 03:13 PM
    PS - I am a big Elmo fan too. Just wanted to throw that in there. LOL
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Mar 15, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Geography is one factor. There are regions in the world that one will only know the religion that is taught. There is far more where people are exposed to different religions as well.

I must add that I have more respect for some one that will say they believe their religion is the one true religion. If one doesn't think their religion is the one, then why follow it?
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom
    Ok, but the question I always ask my christian friends is this....

If we were ALL created by G_d, then WHY are those who practice a different religion in other parts of the world, why are THEY wrong to believe as they do? {Meaning other than Christianity} WHY would they be doomed to an afterlife in hell?
    How do you know just WHO is right?
    Discussing religion is the topic where I believe we will never ever really know.
    Although people who have a strong faith say they know!

Im a catholic, OK not a practicing catholic but I never heard that if you don't follow the christian religion you are doomed to an afterlife in hell! :confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom
    You really think "Geography" plays no importance as to our choices in life??
    OooooooKaaaaaaaaaaaay! ;)
    He didn't say that, he said that geography doesn't play a big part in your choice of religion which is the question you ask. I agree with him, I believe family plays a much bigger role than geography.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 07:10 AM
    In my case, I feel that I should make up my own beliefs regardless of family, geography and culture, and I believe that should be the way with everyone. There's no fun being told which unprovable deity to believe in.

It isn't something that should be "taught" like it is a truth. Everyone should be allowed to find the religion that best fits with their lifestyle and worldview.

Mar 16, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    In my case, I feel that I should make up my own beliefs regardless of family, geography and culture, and I believe that should be the way with everyone. There's no fun being told which unprovable deity to believe in.

It isn't something that should be "taught" like it is a truth. Everyone should be allowed to find the religion that best fits with their lifestyle and worldview.
    Actually this is how it is in reality. No "should" necessary. Families, cultures and governments will eventually have to find a way to honor it or risk perishing in what comes as a result of the "Age of Information". As the internet makes the world a smaller place, one of the things that becomes apparent is how humans really are more or less the same (ie, we have far more in common than we do differences). And the individual is free to choose many many things. More and more of those who live in repressive environments (be it from family, culture or government) know this and shhhh, just don't let on. Accurate information is going to play an ever-increasingly important role in how the world progresses. And world religions will undergo some amazing changes -- in fact, some already are!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Val, I believe it is becoming more that way, but I don't believe it is that way yet. There are still plenty of people that preach and refuse to accept that others can make their own decisions.
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Mar 16, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Shy,
    I think you are right on the money. Leave the judgement up to God.
    If you have lived your life as a Buddhist or Hindu or Sikh and lived a life of compassion for others, love for living things, and for peace and harmony (as are the teachings of many "other" religions), do you really think God will sent them into a pit of fire because they did not believe in Christ? I honestly don't think so.

Don't simplify God (and heaven, hell, damnation, and all that) into a "If you're this then you're not" formula. There is much more to Him than what we mere humans can comprehend...
    manimuth Posts: 261, Reputation: 60

Mar 16, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Yes, of course geography and family have a lot to do with your religion... when you are children. But, as you become an adult, and in this new world community of multicultural, multireligious societies we live in, many of us learn about other religions and question our own and have the freedom to make up our own minds.
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Couldn't spread the love manimuth but I'm so with you on this discussion!
    Yes family, geography and culture all have some part in your religion, but these days as an adult you by far have the choice to make your own mind up to decide what's for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Geography [ 3 Answers ]

Need a map of landfroms of Paris France

Geography? [ 1 Answers ]

Velocity of wind flow is primaqrly determined by what? Gravity? Conduction? Topography? Or air pressure?

View more questions Search