Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maria2day Posts: 94, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2012, 11:20 PM
    Hacked email
    My ex boyfriend has somehow managed to access my Yahoo email account. He mentioned aprogram named Zimbra. I have changed my password. The odd thing is, is that I received 2 identical confirmation emails from Yahoo. So, just to see if it was a fluke, I changed my password again. Again, I got 2 confirmation emails from Yahoo. Am I being paranoid, or is there some type of program that creates a "shadow account"? He has not been on my computer, but I have used is computer and telephone to access my email. I am positive I logged out of Yahoo when I used his computer, and I checked tomake sure that it didn't store passwords. Does anyone know of a program that I can use to scan my computer for spyware? I have already tried MalwareBytes.Thanks
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 06:28 AM
    I could have guessed any of my girlfriends, and even best friends passcodes, it is always something easy and something they like , do and so on.

Most likely he tried a dozen words till he guessed it.

Or saw you type it before
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Dec 14, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Zimbra is a free and open source mail server with many of the features of MS Exchange , there is also a desk top client. However this would not have kept anyone out of your Yahoo account you need to use a strong unique password to protect your email.

Dec 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
    I use very randomized passwords. There is very little chance he could have simply had a lucky guess. I have changed my password 3 times since he admitted to hacking my account, he has not been on my computer, and I haven't used any of his devices either. but he is still, somehow accessing my email, as well as other sites connected with my Yahoo account, such as Facebook, etc.

Dec 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
    CMeeks, I knowmy way around my computer, but that's about it. Im not really even sure of what an open source mail server is. As far as Zimbra... He mentioned Zimbra as a possble way that he had gotten into my email. He was tauntng me, so Im sure I could be mistaken. Regardless of how he managed to get into my email, I need a way to make sure he gets out. Does anyone hve an opinion as to why I would get duplicate confirmation emails ffrom Yahoo when I changed my password?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 02:03 PM
    Maybe he has installed a keylogger on your computer and it is sending him the information that you type in.

Try installing and using this:
    Spyshelter Anti keylogger program

There is a free version that does detect and stop keylogging. I bet you will see that is what he is doing. Of course, you say he hasn't been on your computer but it is possible that he did it at some previous time when he did have access.

Try running that and see what happens.

Also, make sure in your account settings that there is nothing that is sending a confirmation notice to his email when you change your password.

Dec 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
    I installed SpyShelter and when my computer restarted, I got a bunch of pop ups. Such and such program is "attempting to set global hook" or "chage protected registry key". Do I just deny those programs? Wil they come back when I restart?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
    I'm sorry, I can't tell you what to do there. This has not happened to me. I guess at this point you are better off just un-installing the program because if you accept or deny the wrong thing, you could have problems.

Dec 15, 2012, 02:33 AM
    Thanks odinn7. At least I was able to establish that there is spyware on my computer. I downloaded a free program called Zemana. Its an anti keylogger program. It got really high ratings. According to their website you don't have to scan your files. It automatically looks for suspicious files and blocks them. And it encrypts all of your keystrokes. I guess Ill have to wait and see how well it works. Im not giving the program a thumbs up just yet, but from what I have read, it looks pretty good, so I just thought Id share.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone has hacked my email address book and is sending spam email to addresses in [ 2 Answers ]

Someone has hacked into my email address book and is sending spam to addresses from my book. How can I stop this?

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

My email that was broken into was [email protected] and the alternet email address was [email protected]. My password and alternet email address was changed I think he might of even closed the account I have a lot of important contacts on that account it there any way you can reset the password...

My Ex Hacked into my email Account and changed the password and alternet email address [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way you can reopen my account and reset my password for [email protected]

Email hacked? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I know if my email is being hacked and if it is how do I prevent it. In the last few months emails have been sent to all of my contacts in my address book and then their addresses get deleted. I can recover the addresses but an email goes out to everyone, usallay about shopping or...

View more questions Search