Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xIrishGirlx Posts: 62, Reputation: -1

Dec 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Is This a Migraine?
    Before I went to bed I was seeing annoying white flashes. They happened every few minutes until I fell asleep. I woke up at 8 with a throbbing, pounding headache in my temple/eyes/teeth. It's continued all day and it also spread to my sinuses. It isn't as severe as it was when I first got up and around but it's definitely painful and I don't know if I should take something or what.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 04:03 PM
    It could be. Have you been under a lot of stress?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 04:08 PM
    My husband suffers from migraines, but his symptoms are his alone. There's really no way to determine what's happening to you. It could be a migraine, but unless you've suffered them in the past, there's no way to tell. We definitely have no way to tell you what it is.

Have you tried pain meds? Ibuprofen, acetaminophen? Have they lessened the pain?

When my husband has a migraine (at least 3 times a month) the only cure is sleep. He takes tylenol 4, and even that doesn't help. He's been to numerous doctors, had every test known to man, tried numerous medication, and nothing works, only sleep until it's gone.

This is something I'd suggest seeing a doctor about, especially if it's recurring.

For now try a cold cloth on your head, aspirin, tylenol, or other, and rest. A warm bath may help as well. But sleep is the only cure I know for a migraine. :(

Dec 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    It could be. Have you been under a lot of stress?
    I have, and I'm thinking that might be the cause. Sleep seems to be the only thing that helps. Oh well, excuse for some serious napping! :)

Dec 11, 2012, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    My husband suffers from migraines, but his symptoms are his alone. There's really no way to determine what's happening to you. It could be a migraine, but unless you've suffered them in the past, there's no way to tell. We definitely have no way to tell you what it is.

Have you tried pain meds? Ibuprofen, acetaminophen? Have they lessened the pain?

When my husband has a migraine (at least 3 times a month) the only cure is sleep. He takes tylenol 4, and even that doesn't help. He's been to numerous doctors, had every test known to man, tried numerous medication, and nothing works, only sleep until it's gone.

This is something I'd suggest seeing a doctor about, especially if it's recurring.

For now try a cold cloth on your head, aspirin, tylenol, or other, and rest. A warm bath may help as well. But sleep is the only cure I know for a migraine. :(
    Thank you! Yes, I slept for about an hour and didn't feel anything when I woke up, but about ten minutes of being awake it came back. I'll try a cold cloth and laze about, hopefully time will shake it off.
    Rogue Scholar Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2012, 05:57 PM
    Most likely it is not a migraine because migraine apin spreads asymmetrically, meaning if both temples hurt it is not migraine. When one half of your head hurts and when it happens without natural causes (lack of sleep,stress, etc.) then you may suspect migraine. Migraine could be triggered by flash of light, loud voice, heat or cold. Migraine pain usually the result of brain suffering from oxygen starvation. Meds can help to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines but there is no cure (at least within the realm of mainstream medicine).
    However alternative ways and lifestyle changes can make a difference. I know personally one woman who cured her migraine by doing yoga breathing exercises. However don't rush to your local yoga fitness joint. This woman actually went to India and took a course of breathing under the guidance of a recognized master.
    Rogue Scholar Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Most likely it is not a migraine because migraine pain spreads asymmetrically, meaning if both temples hurt it is not migraine. When one half of your head hurts and when it happens without natural causes (lack of sleep,stress, etc.) then you may suspect migraine. Migraine could be triggered by flash of light, loud voice, heat or cold. Migraine pain comes usually as the result of brain suffering from oxygen starvation. Meds can help to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines but there is no cure (at least within the realm of mainstream medicine).
    However alternative ways and lifestyle changes can make a difference. I know personally a woman who cured her migraine by doing yoga breathing exercises. However don't rush to your local yoga fitness joint yet. This woman actually went to India and took a course of breathing under the guidance of a recognized master.

Dec 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Scholar View Post
    Most likely it is not a migraine because migraine apin spreads asymmetrically, meaning if both temples hurt it is not migraine. When one half of your head hurts and when it happens without natural causes (lack of sleep,stress, etc.) then you may suspect migraine. Migraine could be triggered by flash of light, loud voice, heat or cold. Migraine pain usually the result of brain suffering from oxygen starvation. Meds can help to reduce the frequency and severity of migraines but there is no cure (at least within the realm of mainstream medicine).
    However alternative ways and lifestyle changes can make a difference. I know personally one woman who cured her migraine by doing yoga breathing exercises. However don't rush to your local yoga fitness joint. This woman actually went to India and took a course of breathing under the guidance of a recognized master.
    That is terrifying. Brain starved of oxygen? Like a week ago I was doing an improv skit at school where I was pretending to choke, and the wire actually did get stuck around my neck and I had to get it pulled off before I passed out. But I didn't think anything of it afterward because obviously I could breathe immediately after. What if I starved my brain or messed something up? Ahhh!

I'm just going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and blame it on the freezing temperatures!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xIrishGirlx View Post
    That is terrifying. Brain starved of oxygen? Like a week ago I was doing an improv skit at school where I was pretending to choke, and the wire actually did get stuck around my neck and I had to get it pulled off before I passed out. But I didn't think anything of it afterward because obviously I could breathe immediately after. What if I starved my brain or messed something up? Ahhh!

I'm just going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and blame it on the freezing temperatures!
    And stress. Don't forget the stress.

Other than that, good call. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
    I wonder if it could be trigeminal neuralgia. ***Added Hmmm, it usually hits only one side of the face. And I have a treatment for it too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Migraine why is it overwhelming [ 2 Answers ]

I am 48 and just been told I am in the Menopause. I have been having usual symptoms but the worst is crippling Migraines which sometimes appear twice a week sometimes every couple of weeks. I have taken Immigran and it works but you cannot take it too often. My doctor has prescribed me...

Migraine [ 2 Answers ]

I have this friend who just told me that he gets migraines quite often and feels the pain in the occipital area where neck meets head, lower back, temporal area, top of head, and in sinus area below eyes. He also stated his fingers go numb or tingle sometimes. I was wondering what all could be...

Migraine medication [ 2 Answers ]

I went to the ER last night with a migraine. I was given a shot of Imitrex in my arm. They also gave me IV fluids along with IV Toradol and Zofran. My headache is starting to come back. I have Migranal nasal spray. How long since my visit to the ER should I wait before taking the Migranal? ...

Migraine since 06/01/09 [ 3 Answers ]

I've had a migraine since 06/01/09 --- the pain is gone, but nothing is getting rid of my auras... I've gone through a midrol dose pack, taken numerous doses of Axert, Tylenol, and Ibprofen. Yesterday I lost a whole day of work and went and got a migraine infusions, I thought that had worked......

Please Help(migraine Relief) [ 4 Answers ]

I just want to ask a quick question... I have been looking for alternatives to migraine medication and I was wondering if anyone new anything about what Mannatech does and the side affects to the medication... Basically I want to know if Mannatech and Ambrotose works for Migraines and nausea?. Also...

View more questions Search