Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2012, 03:15 PM
    Why has this gone viral?
    A week ago some idiots posing as radio presenters impersonated the Queen and Prince Charles and made a prank call to a London Hospital. As a result the unwitting nurse who answered the phone and responded to their call was overcome, it seems, by shame and suicided. Now there was an international nature to this. The call was placed in Australia and answered in the UK and of course there were the targets, mambers of British royalty.

But this news item refuses to die. The circumstances are unfortunate, even tragic but there are people dying every day in conflicts and tragic circumstances, and yet this saga takes first place in media. We have been conjoled by how the pranksters are devistated, and how they have been dealt with, how their employers will pay damages, how the family will cope, will it never end?
    Azaleasrock Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2012, 04:33 PM
    I think it's gone viral due to being mentioned on sites such as this, amirite.com, thepoke.com etc. The more people discuss it (even if it's to say "Why the hell has this gone viral?", the more it will spread. These kind of stories are rather trivial and if more people didn't reference them online, they'd be less likely to go viral.

It may also have to do with people's obsession with the Royals. If something even vaguely involves them, people blow it out of all proportion (my favourite royal is Jim Royle).
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
    I agree that these stories are trivial, it gets beaten up locally because this radio station has a reputation for crass stunts and even crasser presenters, but I cannot understand the rage in the UK, like it is as though we personally insulted the monarch, committed treason or something. This is the 21st Century, not the 15th.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
    No doubt some nanny stater will try to ban radio stunts .
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2012, 06:36 PM
    Yes they are already moving toward this but the public are more viscious than any ban
    Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2012, 07:41 PM
    I thought it was a pretty funny prank . That it ended in a tragedy is not something that can be blamed on the hosts .
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
    No, they are not to blame for the nurses death, I suspect there is much more to this than we are told. The brits can be very caustic when they want to be, and this nurse was Indian, so cultural complications, loss of face, and would have been under all sorts of job and peer pressures. From her cultural point of view she would have expected retribution against hereself and family members. The fact that it went viral just pushed her over the top.

However, this is one of a long line of incidents involving station staff. Obviously the station is willing to try public patience, believing any publicity is good publicity in pursuit of ratings, and loss of advertising revenue on a number of occasions has not deterred them. The costs of this stunt are many millions, not to mention human life, but the station ethos hasn't changed
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 06:17 AM
    There have been cases where radio pranks have done things like cause riots. I'm a free speech type of person ;but in some cases they should assume responsibility and liability . I'm not sure that is the case here.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
    They apparently love scaring the hell out of people in Brazil.

Fortunately no one had a heart attack or kicked the girl in the face. I think the station's prank was harmless, you'd think the hospital would have had a lot tougher protocol that would have prevented the receptionist from transferring the call. I would think the queen would know how to get in touch with Kate.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 03:16 PM
    Some people are niaive, that is just how it is. This nurse wasn't a receptionist, just in the wrong place at the wrong time helping out, Indians tend to be very intense, very correct, this would have gone down hard
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    some people are niaive, that is just how it is. This nurse wasn't a receptionist, just in the wrong place at the wrong time helping out, Indians tend to be very intense, very correct, this would have gone down hard
    The call went to a receptionist first. She's the screener.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 03:50 PM
    Hmmm I agree with you Paraclete, how dare they pollute your only source of news with an article that you are clearly bored with, I mean don't they know who you are? How bloody dare they.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    Hmmm i agree with you Paraclete, how dare they polute your only source of news with an article that you are clearly bored with, i mean dont they know who you are? how bloody dare they.
    Yes I find most of the news boring, I would like the yanks to jump off that bloody cliff already, take some action or something, the DJ's to do the decent thing and jump off the Westgate bridge, and I expect a higher standard of journalism, not this boring repetition where they change a few words in an article and recycle it endlessly. I know this is the arsehole end of the year where there is no news worth having, but do we have to put up with this boring crap, there was a suicide, there are suicides everyday, very unfortunate. Even Ex is streatching to find topics. This is all the result of the GFC and media downsizing
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 01:15 AM
    IT HAS COME TO THIS

England has now declared Australians bullies, because of the death of a nurse in London. Has anyone noticed we weren't within twelve thousand miles of her and she was surrounded by brits with a long history of bullying their neighbours
    Bully for you: England's case of foot-in-mouth | News.com.au
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 07:25 AM
    The real problem is what George Carlin called the 'pussification' of the Western world. It is just not reasonable to think that a harmless prank like the one the radio hosts pulled would result in someone being so traumatized that they would commit suicide . It's very hard to walk on egg shells .
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
    I don't think it is harmless to embarrass someone, however it would have been reasonable for there to have been proper security at the hospital given the nature of the press in the UK. I agree the western world is weak, weak laws and too much time on our hands

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical help with Viral Gastroenteritis [ 0 Answers ]

So here is what's going on everyone. My boyfriend had viral gastroenteritis(sp) just recently. On March 3rd(Saturday) he began to vomit and have diarrhea. March 4th just diarrhea(His little sister became ill on the 4th By the way which made it certain it was the " stomach bug" and not food...

Viral Traps [ 3 Answers ]

I did a study, in one of my biomedical engineering classes, on viral traps and their possible use in eradicating HIV/AIDS, among other things. Has anyone else heard of this? If so, what are your thoughts/opinions on it. I haven't heard anything recently about the success of this process, so if...

Viral infection [ 3 Answers ]

It's about me who got infected with this virus that we called Herpes simplex (HSV), my boyfriend infect me with this virus while we are on our vacation in Hong Kong first week of July this year. He didn't informed me about his illness and he didn't use condoms to protect me from this disease, now I...

Viral infection [ 1 Answers ]

On June 28th I went to the doctors complaining about a sore throat and a swollen gland on the right side of my neck. She looked in the back of my throat and said she thinks I have mono. She took a swab of my throat to see if it was strep, and then a blood test. I went home to wait for the results....

Does this sound viral to you? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My 14 year old son started feeling ill last week, dizzy, sick and hot. Then then he started to get a lump of green mucous stuck to the back of his throat which is causing him to gag and he says it smells and tastes funny. This is really unpleasant for him as he cannot keep anything down and...

View more questions Search