Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Belly button infection
    I have been struggling with my belly button for awhile. My doc keeps saying clean it with alcohol and dry it well after showering. I have been doing that but every so often it gets red and inflamed. I then clean it more often and keep an eye on it.
    Today it is weeping stinky and sorry for the tmi but looks like patches of mold type stuff in it. I work in about 3 hours. Can this wait until tomorrow? Or should I go now? I am on steroids which can affect this as my doctor has told me I am also diabetic (non insulin dependant).
    Dogs Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
    I did call my doctor he can not see me until Thursday. I did say what was up but that is the soonest I can get in.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    I did call my doctor he can not see me until Thursday. I did say what was up but that is the soonest I can get in.
    Follow the Sneezy advice. But, like he said to me, only you can see it, and know if you need to go in sooner. This is an infection Mogrann, and leaving it, well, it's a risk. Use the warm salt water and the cream Sneezy suggested, but he wants to make sure that you know it's not a diagnosis, or a cure, it will just hold you over until you see your doctor. But he's concerned that this is a chronic issue that hasn't been resolved.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 02:50 PM
    Must spread the rep Alty before I can give you another greenie. Thank you so much. I may ask for a swab to be done and see if that helps.
    I am following his advice to the letter :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrann View Post
    must spread the rep Alty before I can give you another greenie. Thank you so much. I may ask for a swab to be done and see if that helps.
    I am following his advice to the letter :)
    Good. He's a very brilliant soon to be doctor. When it comes to my health, I trust him first, and then go to my doctor.

Let's just say that I usually go to my doctor with a possible diagnosis, because I've already talked to my boy toy Sneezy. :) Even my doctor (who is wonderful) is impressed by Mr. Sneezy.

But, no doctor can give a diagnosis online, and that's what Sneezy is really worried about here. The picture didn't tell him much. All he knows is that this is an infection, it sounds like you will need antibiotics, and frankly, this shouldn't be a chronic issue. Your doctor needs to do more.

But salt water and the cream he suggested, is better than alcohol. Alcohol dries it out too much, which is likely why it's raw and sore. Salt water will kill the bacteria, but it's not nearly as harsh as alcohol. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly button infection? [ 0 Answers ]

I have had this issue before not as bad. The doctor just told me to make sure to dry my belly button well after showers. To be honest I am not happy with my family doctor and the level of care BUT there is a doctor shortage and I do need a family doctor for refills etc. My belly button is...

Belly button ring infection [ 1 Answers ]

My belly button is gone red and used to give out a small bit of green puss when I cleaned it bu now it doesn't bu is still red and gives out a tiny amount of gew once a day. The person who pierced my belly button said to put sat in hot water from the kettle and wait for it to cool and clean it...

Belly button infection [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if you guys think my belly button ring is infectied. I just had it done on jan 8, 2011

Belly button pierceing infection! [ 2 Answers ]

My cousin secretly pierced her belly button and her boyfriend made her take it out when she wasn't supposed to and now her body hurts her so bad she can't sleep she took it out a couple weeks ago the hole is already closed is there anything that can help her besides going to the docter cause if...

View more questions Search