Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shopaholic60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Do I have to make a yearly withdrawal from a beneficiary IRA ?
    I have a beneficiary IRA. I'm not yet 59-1/2 but my late husband would have been. Therefore, am I required to make a withdrawal from this IRA on a yearly basis?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 11, 2012, 12:45 PM
    No - you are not required to take any withdrawals until you reach age 70-1/2. As a spousal beneficiary you have the option of assuming his IRA and then you have the same options as any IRA owner (such as taking distribution any time you want after you reach age 59-1/2 without penalty, or waiting until age 70-1/2 before taking any distributions at all). This option is available only to spousal beneficiaries, and only if you are the sole beneficiary. But if you simply leave the account alone under the "5 year rule" you must completely drain the account, or run the risk of losing up to 50% in penalties. Clearly that's not a good option. Talk to the IRA custiodian to see what your options are, and ask questions specifically about transferring his account into your name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 14 year old daughter is the beneficiary of a IRA what are the laws? [ 1 Answers ]

My Fourteen year old daughter is the beneficiary of a IRA, I am the full custodial parent. What are the laws for the IRA?

Again, can I make an IRA contribution and take a withdrawal in the same year [ 2 Answers ]

I asked this in RETIREMENT and got no answers, I don't know how to change categories, so here it is again -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a traditional IRA that I have been contributing the maximum amount ($6,000) for several years. I get...

ROTH IRA Beneficiary [ 1 Answers ]

I am working in US on L1-B Visa form India. My spouse and kids are in India, They will come for a short trip of 2 months on L2 visa and go back to India. 1. When I want to open a Roth IRA a/c, I am unable to list my spouse as beneficiary sine she does not have SSN, She will not be eligible...

Withdrawal from IRA at 70 1/2 [ 3 Answers ]

I have multiple IRA accounts. Do I have to take a withdrawal from each one at age 70 1/2? Thanks

View more questions Search