Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lefthook Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Racist comment on Facebook
    Someone used my phone to make racist comment in a group on Facebook on my account, as soon as I saw this I deleted it, but now the police are involved I rung them up and explained and they said they are looking into it, I haven't done anyhting wrong! What will happen next
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2012, 10:55 AM
    If it constitutes a crime, and if they choose to, they will charge you.
    Who could have used your phone and why did you give them the opportunity?
    This is one of the reasons that electronic communication devices have access password capabilities, and why folks should use them. It is almost impossible to send anything anonymously but if someone wants to send a derogatory or even threatening communication, using someone else's device is one way to do it.
    The time of the transmission of that message should be on record. Maybe you have an alibi like being in surgery under anesthestic at that moment as a ludricrous example, but while I am not a lawyer I would say that the burden of proof is on you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lefthook;
    someone used my phone to make racist comment in a group on facebook on my account, as soon as i saw this i deleted it, but now the police are involved ...
    What country are you in? In the U.S. racist comments, while no longer socially acceptable, are still considered constitutionally protected free speech, and thus there would be no cause for police involvement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2012, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What country are you in? In the U.S., racist comments, while no longer socially acceptable, are still considered constitutionally protected free speech, and thus there would be no cause for police involvement.
    Not necessarily. Racial slurs can be considered hate speech and prosecuted under anti-bias laws.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 07:57 AM
    Seldom is something like this done, and if concerned, hire an attorney and don't talk to the police without the attorney
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
    'I rung them' sounds like UK or Canada?
    Who told you the police are involved?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem;
    Not necessarily. Racial slurs can be considered hate speech and prosecuted under anti-bias laws.
    "... In the United States, hate speech is protected as a civil right (aside from usual exceptions to free speech, such as defamation, incitement to riot, and fighting words).[54] Laws prohibiting hate speech are unconstitutional in the United States; the United States federal government and state governments are forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech.[55][56][57][58]

The "reason why fighting words are categorically excluded from the protection of the First Amendment is not that their content communicates any particular idea, but that their content embodies a particularly intolerable (and socially unnecessary) mode of expressing whatever idea the speaker wishes to convey."[59] Even in cases where speech encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if the threat of violence is imminent
    ..." Hate speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    "... In the United States, hate speech is protected as a civil right (aside from usual exceptions to free speech, such as defamation, incitement to riot, and fighting words).[54] Laws prohibiting hate speech are unconstitutional in the United States; the United States federal government and state governments are forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech.[55][56][57][58]

The "reason why fighting words are categorically excluded from the protection of the First Amendment is not that their content communicates any particular idea, but that their content embodies a particularly intolerable (and socially unnecessary) mode of expressing whatever idea the speaker wishes to convey."[59] Even in cases where speech encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if the threat of violence is imminent
    ..." Hate speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I should have said hate crimes, not specifically hate speech.

A hate crime is the victimization of an individual based upon their race, religion, national origin, ethnic identification, gender or sexual orientation.
    These crimes may include acts including physical assaults, assaults with weapons, harassment, vandalism, robbery, rape, verbal harassment, attacks on homes or places of worship, various forms of vandalism, and murder.

Alliance: Factsheets: Hate Crimes

Placing racial slurs on a public site could be considered harassment. Many police departments take such things seriously nowadays. Since we don't know exactly what was said, we can only rely on what the OP is telling us. I am assuming that if the police are involved it has been elevated to the level of a hate crime.
    Fifi17 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
    First tell your family or close friends so they can help you. They can get u an att
    Fifi17 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2012, 02:49 PM
    Oops! Haha "attorney"
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 10, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Hi joy, 'i rung them' doesn't sound like UK or Canada. Where do you think that low base language comes from either? And why would this be an issue for this thread.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 11, 2012, 02:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    hi joy, 'i rung them' doesnt sound like UK or Canada. Where do you think that low base language comes from either? And why would this be an issue for this thread.
    My observation is that the British 'ring' people (vs the American 'call').
    I think it's relevant here because of different laws in different countries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can people sue me because of Facebook comment? [ 12 Answers ]

Can somebody sue me because of Facebook comment?but I didn't curse on my comment in Facebook I did say she's a disease and I put her name

I can't comment to posts to my Facebook. [ 3 Answers ]

The comment area is grayed out and will not allow me to comment. HELP!

Facebook - When I comment on something I can only type in one line [ 2 Answers ]

When I want to comment on something someone wrote, I can only write a line when it jumps Into another box and this next box has no label (SHARE) for me to get it posted. I hope I'm clear enough. If Ms. Jones writes it's cold out and I want to write she should take that trip to Florida for the...

View more questions Search