Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomasqangulo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 06:26 PM
    Payne 394gaw furnace whose pilot ignition sparks forever but the pilot doesn't light.
    I have a Payne 394gaw furnace whose pilot ignition sparks forever but the pilot doesn't light. What do I need to do?
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Several possibilities. Is the gas shut off valve turned on? Is gas valve in the furnace on? If yes to both & presuming you have gas, I suspect a dirty pilot burner.
    tomasqangulo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 03:25 PM
    Yes, the gas shut off is ON. Gas knob is turned to ON. I also hear the whisper of gas that accompanies the spark, but I do not smell any natural gas. I had also taken off the pilot and spark assembly and made sure there was nothing that was plugging it up and put it back on.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2012, 07:46 PM
    I would be very surprised if you could hear the gas. Either the gas valve is not opening or the pilot oricfice is plugged. I suggest removing the pilot assembly & try blowing it out with canned air or a solvent such as brake or carb cleaner. If you use a solvent, make sure the assembly is completely dry inside & out before reinstalling.
    Torsten Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2013, 01:09 PM
    I have exactly the same problem. Gas is flowing for sure as I can hear it and ignite it with a fire lighter.
    Did anybody figure out how to rectify this issue? Did cleaning help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My carrier gas furnace would not light up the pilot burner although sparks and gas is [ 0 Answers ]

My carrier gas furnace would not light up the pilot burner although sparks and gas is present. I've tried to light up the pilot burner with a gas grill light and it works.

Gravity furnace with 2 wire thrmostat, pilot light doesn't stay lit [ 0 Answers ]

I changed my wires to the thermostat and I recently changed my pilot generator so why doesn't my pilot light stay lit and I hit the (valve box?) and it goes on but when I turn the furnace off the pilot light goes out awhile later.

Intermittent spark ignition spark but will not light pilot on natural gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Johnson ultra air 97 natural gas furnace , 18 years old Starting sequence 1) exhaust blower and main blower come on 2) 2 seconds later intermittent spark igniter starts sparking , but will not ignite pilot Will shut down after maybe 20 seconds , do not smell any gas Things I've tried......

Warm air furnace: no pilot light, no ignition spark [ 8 Answers ]

I have an International Comfort fan assisted warm air furnace with an issue: The unit does not heat - burners and pilot do not light. The flame blower runs when heat is commanded from the thermostat. There seems to be no gas as the pilot. There is no pilot light, and no spark when...

Gas furnace intermittent electric ignition won't light pilot [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier gas furance with a pilot that lights by an intermittent electric ignitor. Occasionally, when the thermostat calls for heat, the electric ignition will spark repeatedly but ultimately, the pilot will not light. If I turn the thermostat off and then back on again, the problem...

View more questions Search