Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withhope2010 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Cordless rechargeable hand vacuum cleaners
    I would like to purchase an expensive, top of the line cordless rechargeable hand vacuum cleaner. I would appreciate information as to explanation concerning the
    Loss of power while the item is sitting on the shelf. How can I purchase a cordless rechargeable hand vacuum cleaner with a RECENT battery. The sales clerk has one but informed me that he found out that it is from mid 2011. I appreciate all advice and information. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 03:49 PM
    It's the number of recharges that shortens the life not how long its been on the shelf.

Dec 8, 2012, 04:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Its the number of recharges that shortens the life not how long its been on the shelf.
    Can you please explain again... are you saying that rechargeable and regular batteries will NOT lose any power, unless they are used?
    Thank you!

Dec 8, 2012, 04:09 PM
    I said nothing about regular batteries but they will last up to 10 years on the shelf if you want to know. A rechargeable battery, which is what you'll get in that vac, is good for several thousand recharges. It's the number of recharges that finally starts counting down until the battery is no longer any good and can't take a charge . Sitting on a shelf since 2011 has not shortened the number of recharges the battery will accept.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Dec 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
    Hi,
    I would suggest one with the lithium-ion or lithium-polymer batteries because they produce a steady flow of amperage during a charge cycle. The ni-cad batteries slowly go down. In other words one gradually reduces in strength and the other stays at full power until very near the end.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jan 17, 2013, 12:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    I would suggest one with the lithium-ion or lithium-polymer batteries because they produce a steady flow of amperage during a charge cycle. The ni-cad batteries slowly go down. In other words one gradually reduces in strength and the other stays at full power until very near the end.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if you might know if it is better to keep it plugged in all the time, as mine is now. And then I might use it for a few minutes but never until it is entirely out of power. Thank you.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jan 17, 2013, 04:52 PM
    Hi,
    Most people do. That way it is always ready to go.That is another reason to get th lithium-ion battery; they do not form a "memory." The ni-cad variety will form a memory of sorts when they are partially discharged and then recharged, i.e. it form an artificial place that the battery considers discharged. It is correctible by fully discharging and recharging, usually three times in succession.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 17, 2013, 05:33 PM
    I have a Dyson handheld cordless. Expensive, powerful, easy to clean. I don't keep it plugged in; it doesn't run down between uses. But beware - the more powerful the vacuum, the shorter the amount of time you have on each charge.
    I have no floor vacuum at all - just a broom and a swiffer.

Jan 17, 2013, 07:13 PM
    " keep it plugged in all the time", most people do but read what the manufacturer has to say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What the difference vacuum relief valve/ vacuum breaker for water heater? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between vacuum relief valve and a vacuum breaker valve

How vacuum is maintained in a vacuum circuit breaker [ 0 Answers ]

In industries we use vacuum circuit breaker to disconnect supply in a faulty condition. But how vacuum is maintained for a long term use of circuit breaker?

Rechargeable Stick Vacums and little hand held vacums.upkeep of the battery? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, is it better to use rechargeable vacums until there is absolutely no power Left in them at all, or, is it better to leave them plugged in at all times, so that They are always with power and ready to use? Someone told me that the actual Batteries inside will last longer if they are...

Memory Reset for Rechargeable Panasonic Cordless Phone Battery [ 0 Answers ]

I was recently experiencing terrible performance of the handset battery for my cordless Panasonic KX-TG2730S (or KX-TG2730) telephone. I searched the user manuals and the Panasonic website for a solution but could not find one. So I called Panasonic at 1-800-211-7262 to see if there was anything...

View more questions Search