Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

Dec 8, 2012, 09:12 AM
    Stop this cat from peeing everywhere!
    We bought my daughter a kitten for her birthday last August and this cat has done nothing but pee wherever it wants. We took it to the vet and were told there was some type of crystalization and blood in the urine. The vet explained it most likely hurt the cat to hold it in so it just went when it had to. Since having it on Amoxicillan for several weeks it seems to have gotten a little better about it but we are still finding those stinky spots here there.

Does anyone have any ideas how to encourage this cat to at least make an effort? Getting rid of this cat would just kill my kids... and we like him too.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 04:53 PM
    Is the cat neutered ? And if you get it neutered, take it to a different vet, the one you have is not really very helpful.

There are always trace elements in urine, the same as humans, there are always trace particles of blood in urine, the same as humans, it is only a problem when the urine is pink from blood.

Growing cats and dogs and us, have a problem when our bodies grow faster then our bladder, so yes, it probably hurts and it has to come out.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Have you had the urine rechecked? Is he still on antibiotics? If not and he is still doing it, recheck the urine - the first round of antibiotics doesn't always take care of it. And if there are crystals, antibiotics alone usually won't take care of it - that's a PH problem, antibiotics don't help that.

Dec 8, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Yes, the cat was neutered... but that was done at the humane society, not our vet. The urine will be rechecked sometime this week because he still has one more dose of antibiotics to take.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
    Part of the problem might be the lingering smell telling him it's a safe spot to pee. Use a good pet smell eliminator and scrub any problem areas. Vinager can get rid of the smell, but it may take soaking the area with it more than once.

Once you're sure the medical reason is taken care of, you can worry about taking care of the behavioral/habitual reasons. Until then, no amount of correction or cleaning will help, because it's beyond his control.

Dec 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
    Thanks for the input guys. It seems to be undercontrol as his infection has cleared up. He visits the litter box much more frequently and seems to understand that's where it needs to happen.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2012, 04:17 PM
    You could try spraying the areas it pees with a 50-50 blend of white vinegar and water. This solution will neutralize the smell. It might help, or might not. It has worked for me some with both cats and a house dog. Best of luck

Dec 17, 2012, 06:26 PM
    Yeah, we've gone through a lot of vinegar lately! Seems to be working out well though. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my cat peeing anywhere? [ 1 Answers ]

All of a sudden my cat has started peeing anywhere in the house mostly on my husbands bed. I keep her litter box clean 2 or 3 times a day. Since she has come into heat though she will pee anywhere. Don't understand why.

Cat is peeing [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my Fiancée and I moved into a new house and our one cat has started peeing on our couch. Now I know that there are lots of reason as to why this is happening but I just want to know if it very well could be stress related and not a UTI. He's usually a very good cat and this is the first...

Peeing cat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding on how to teach a cat that the litter box is the only place to take a leak, not the living room furniture?? My wife and I have 2 yr old cat who in the last 6 months has started peeing on our the couch and chair in our living room. We clean out the...

View more questions Search