Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Type of centipedes
    I read that there are house centipedes and outdoor centipedes.

I was thinking the centipedes in my house were house centipedes but they came from outdoors.

Can you tell me how to know the difference?

I am just trying the best way to decrease them or eliminate them.

Thanks in advance.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 8, 2012, 06:30 AM
    Centipedes like dampness, and they are also good in the house, keep mostly to themselves and eat smaller insects, keeping the smaller ones away from you !

Outdoor centipedes are way larger then indoor, but then I have seen some pretty large ones, maybe an inch long around but really, rarely see them in the light.

In south america they are usually kept as housepets, and are about a foot long, to control the mouse and rat population.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Dec 8, 2012, 06:48 PM
    The house centipede, Scutigera coleoptrata, has rather dainty long skinny bent legs. Click here for a good website on house centipedes. Other species may wander inside, but the house centipede can live indoors.

Here is a picture of a garden centipede. Centipedes are fascinating, creepy crawlers. Clean up the centipedes you find in your house. Then seal up your house with tight fitting window screens, door sweeps and thresholds; use foam seal where pipes enter the house, etc.

Here is an image search for centipedes. Note that the house centipede has long skinny bent legs

This writer likes centipedes: House Centipedes: Your Best Friend for Household Pest Control
    Here is another site: Living with Bugs
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 9, 2012, 06:13 AM
    Hi, gha, good website on centipedes 'your best friend'. A lot of what I always thought they were like. I never kill one, I know they get rid of unsavoury insects that I don't like.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between blood group type A and type A? [ 2 Answers ]

1. Is blood type A+ the same with blood type A? 2. If the father is blood type A+ and the mother is type O, what would be the Blood types of the children?

How to get rid of house centipedes [ 4 Answers ]

Yuck these things are very scary. I guess they are in my apartment complex. They are extremely fast and down right scary. I don't want that thing to crawl on me.. ever.. if it does.. I think I might have a heart attack.. seriously. How can you get rid of these things? A HUGE one just crawled...

Centipedes, centipedes go away [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I have gotten rid of the spiders and ants by using an exterminator, who also said that the centipedes would be gone as well. Well one week after extermination, I saw one and I have seen several since then, and they don't look like they are dying, they are alive and well. How do I get rid of...

Spiders, ants, centipedes.oh my! [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new apartment and everyday I am killing teeny reddish-brown spiders and very light colored (beige or almost clear) very thin legged spiders, also short, fat, brown spiders. There are also tiny ants and winged ants and the worst are centipedes or millipedes. My question is do...

View more questions Search