Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juriiiiii Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2012, 02:46 PM
    UNIQUE/PRETTY baby girl names
    Hello! I'm 30 weeks pregnant with a girl! And I do not have a whole name picked out yet.
    I really want a name that is uncommon. I don't have much longer and I wanted her whole name on the baby shower invitations. /:
    I have thought of Ariya as the first name but not sure if people can pronounce it.
    (ar-eee-uh)
    Please help! Thank you (:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 7, 2012, 02:56 PM
    I'm all for unique names, but before I give you a list, I have to say, most kids with unique names hate it at one point in their lives. For instance. When all the other kids are walking around with their" totally in" keychains that have their name on it, and you don't have one because the store doesn't have your name keychain, it's hurtful. When every teacher you have from kindergarten through college, mispronounces your name on the first day of school, and gives you a nickname after that because they still don't get it, it hurts. Just saying. That happened to me, and truth told, my name is not all that unique, at least not now. But when I was a kid, it was impossible for anyone to pronounce it right, or for me to even get a mug with my name on it.

Now on to the list.

Sidaly (sid-ah-lee)
    Jola (Joe-la)
    Letiva (let-eve-ah)

That's really all I have.

I have to admit, I considered Sidaly, but went with Sydney instead for my daughter. She's the only Sydney in her class, one of two in a school of almost 700 kids. But I do occasionally all her Sidaly as a nickname. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 7, 2012, 03:33 PM
    My name is Joy. My mother always told me I had to live up to my name.
    I wanted to change it to something like Salunda or Salinda. Of course people would call me Sally.
    I like Ariya. Sounds Hawaiian or African, and flows softly.

Then there's my 2 funny names that flow softly: Uvula and Urethra
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 8, 2012, 03:02 AM
    Uncommon names do open door to a lot of teasing. I would suggest using any name that will/might be mispronounced as a middle name. You can still pick something uncommon, without her having to explain how to pronounce/spell her name to everyone she meets.

I think a good rule is deciding if a two year old will be able to say it, and be at least mostly understood, and fully understood by school age. Names with few consonant sounds can get muddled by little tongues. As cute as it might be to you, she'll probably get frustrated at being misheard.

Also, I got an interesting piece of advice from someone who's job involved calling hundreds of prospective applicants a year; people cold-calling (as in, calling a name off a list) people will prefer to avoid names they can't be sure of pronouncing correctly. That includes job applications and colleges. Those names often up at the bottom of the list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unique pet names for a kitten [ 27 Answers ]

Hi I'm new. I was looking for pet names when I found this site. I was wondering if anyone had any or could come up with any ideas on pet names for a cat, with ice cream being the topic, that are unique, that you wouldn't mind me considering for my new kitten. She is calico with short hair. I've...

Unique but Cute Cat names Please? [ 4 Answers ]

I rescued a kitten when he was about 5 weeks old, so sweet, I know but I'm having trouble naming him, he's 3 months old now lol. Here's the details: Small Looks like a miniture demon Orange and white(creamy-ish with orangy stripes and spots Amber-green eyes Cute and cuddly But at times very...

Baby girl names [ 16 Answers ]

What are some unusual girl names for a newborn. Jeremy

I'm looking for unique tattoo that I can have my 7 kids names one of which died [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to have a tattoo done but not sure of design it needs to be unique and or unusual but also beautiful I want it to have my six children's names on and also my 7ths child's name who sadly died last year can you help me

How to count unique values in specific names [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, Anyone can help me what is the formula in excel MS office 2007 Of counting the unique numbers in one column A against column B Example: Column A (Cheque Numbers) Column B 1234 Charice 1235 ...

View more questions Search