Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2012, 12:28 PM
    Build a laundry lint filter (laundry tub version)
    The Posting question method needs help. When you select advanced posting options, your original text gets clobbered. Also, if your not logged in and post a question, your composed response gets clobbered.

Some background:

The laundry sink backed up and the clog was rather nasty. The washer is supposed to grind up and spit out the lint. A very dense packed lint clump was found. There is like 6 right angles and the clog was likely located about 25 feet in. Galvanized pipe runs in the cement in the basement.

I rented an Auger at Home Depot and I failed to recognize that the auger rotated counter-clockwise to auger into the clog. My drill auger rotated clockwise. I spent nearly four to six hours going nowhere fast. When I chose the proper direction, the clog was removed a whole lot easier. Home Depot refunded my money. I felt that HD should have told me that as essential info when renting the tool.

The solution had to be a real lint filter. The Filtrol 160 Filtrol-160 Washing Machine Lint Filter from Septic Solutions was on the table for a short time. It would have been difficult to mount and expensive because of space reasons so I decided to investigate building one.

The CPR Aquatics 4" Sock-it (about $25 USD) seemed to be a perfect fit. CPR AQUATIC, INC - Wet/Dry Filters I had the clearance I needed at the bottom of the sink for an 8.5" long sock and the mounting method would accommodate the tub wall thickness. The sock had to be purchased separately.

The fittings ended up being standard PVC. I had to buy a barb fitting to PVC and a female adapter, a hose clamp, a new discharge elbow, and a drain extension to attach to the laundry hose. That stuff was easily available although from multiple sources. I didn't even use cement.

I would have liked to put the filter toward the back of the tub, but the plumbing to do so is messy. It will just have to wait.

I ran it for a while using the original Polyester filters for 50 um and they are just too good, they clog very easily. No big deal because overflow protection is built into the design.

Now the deal is to replace the filter with a 400 um NYLON Sock which is under $12.00, a US filter BN-410-400. To make maintenance easier, you need to cut and remove the Nylon removal tab. Cutters and a Dremel sanding drum work nicely.

Maintenance involves waiting for the filter to dry and vacuuming out the lint which is about every 2 or 3 weeks. It's doing a superb job. I'm really happy with the results. I suspect the lifetime will be good as well.

Hopefully, I'll be able to post the pictures in the next post of the installed filter and one of it disassembled.
    ____
    . KISS
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 7, 2012, 02:45 PM
    Sure beats snitching a nylon stocking from the wife. Good information.
    Ron, look for my E-Mail. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the differences between Wet Lint Filter & Dry Lint filter ? [ 1 Answers ]

What are the differences between Wet Lint Filter & Dry Lint filter ? Help me answerring this question

Laundry Tub move [ 4 Answers ]

I want to move my laundry tub over by about 3 feet, so I can place my washer and dryer side by side. I do have a copper pipe that runs directly up from the floor under the sink for the small plastic tubing that goes into the copper pipe and into drain. This is for water release when the taps are on...

Plugged laundry tub [ 1 Answers ]

How can I unplug my clogged laundry tub?

Waterproofing a laundry tub [ 8 Answers ]

I have what I believe to be a "soapstone" laundry tub. (It looks like it is made of 1" thick rock-type material . . . definitely not plastic or anything like that.) It was undoubtedly installed when the house was built - so is approximately 40 years old. I noticed that when I wash...

Alternative to a Laundry Tub [ 9 Answers ]

I am looking for an alternative to discharging a front-loading washing machine into a laundry tub. I have access to a pipe that slopes down to the septic pipe exiting the basement. This pipe is 5ft from the bottom of the washer. The manufacturer told me that the pump in the washer would only...

View more questions Search