Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chelsnigg07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 04:17 PM
    Earths Orbit ?
    So We got extra credit for science class today and I can't find the answer anywhere and I was wondering if anyone knew how far the earth would have to move out its orbit to destroy us?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 11:28 PM
    I think this is asking for an estimation.

If you say that the temperature is proportional to the number of infra red photons from the sun. And the number of these photon hitting us is proportional to the square of the distance from the sun (you can work out the solid angle that the earth makes from the sun). Then you should be able to work out how far away or how close the earth would have to move for water to boil or freeze.

If water is at boiling or freezeing point, it's unlikely that life would be able to survive.

Of course, there are plenty of threats to human life without Earth moving out of it's orbit...

Is there a particular cause of death that you would like to investigate? Than I can give you pointers to calculate it..
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Mar 15, 2007, 10:25 AM
    I saw this in a book somewhere. On every star in this universe there is an area known as a 'green belt' or life sustaining belt. The earth and venus are the only two planets in the green belt in our solar system.

In reference to heat and light radiation from the sun, the bigger and hotter the star, the larger the green belt and the further away planets can be to sustain life. The colder and smaller the star, the smaller the green belt and planets have to be closer to the star.

There is nothing I can say other than what capuchin as already said.

However, in starwars, how you get planets like Hoth is beyond me...
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 10:48 AM
    I don't believe Venus is in the habitable zone. Mars just about scrapes it but not really :)
    Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Mar 15, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Venus is trust me, it's just that it's atmospheric composition is so bad that's why it can't sustain life.

Mars is just gay lololol
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Venus is way hotter than the boiling point of water. Even at the top of the atmosphere.
    vrooje Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Venus is way hotter than the boiling point of water. even at the top of the atmosphere.
    True, but is that because it's outside the habitable zone or because its runaway greenhouse effect has made it uninhabitable?

I would have to double-check, but I believe that Venus is just on the edge of the habitable zone. I seem to remember doing the calculation assuming the earth's albedo, and the temperature was on the verge of boiling.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 25, 2007, 06:06 PM
    Try this for an answer if you're brave.

If the earth moved about 25 feet in any direction at a speed of about 100 miles/hour I'd guess that most humans would die simply from the collision with an object which is fixed to the earth such as a wall or tree. Think about it. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smaller Orbit [ 5 Answers ]

Suppose the Orbit of the Earth Were 5% Smaller (a = 0.95 au) than it is today (a = 1.0 au). What would happen??

How thick is the earths crust? [ 2 Answers ]

How thick is the earths crust on an average? Thank you

Earths Crust [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the thickness, in miles, of the earths crust, and scale for scale, how thick would that leave the shell of a table tennis ball? Thank you.

Orbit of the sun [ 1 Answers ]

How many miles or kilometres does the Earth travel in one orbit of the sun? Is it constant?

Earths orbit around the Sun [ 1 Answers ]

What kinds of changes would happen in our lives if the Earth's orbit around the Sun were increased by 5%?

View more questions Search