Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qcgreywolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
    Visual business scheduling software; does it exist?
    I am looking for a piece of scheduling (business) software that has a visual component, similar to Google Calender. I -require- the following data fields and features;
    - Start / End date
    - Contact (Person)
    - Contact (Phone Number)
    - Company
    - Company #
    - 6 additional data fields (descriptions, numbers, and other data)

The ideal piece of software would have the capability of importing/exporting a very large contact list.

I would like to be able to at least visualize the data over a calender and would prefer to be able to also move the blocks around on the calender by dragging them, similar to Google Calender.

I need the 'events' (scheduled items, or whatever the application calls them) to be searchable by any of the data fields, especially the company, company # and the flexible data fields.

I would be overjoyed if there was an app that shows a pool of 'waiting but not yet scheduled' events. (A customer has called and requested something and is awaiting scheduling).

A little background, I am currently using an Excel spreadsheet to handle all of our companies service tech scheduling. It serves its function and is very searchable and capable of filtering data (lists, tables and such), but it is absolutely not very 'visual' nor is it convenient. I am at a crossroads; either I am going to delve into VBA to make fields, formulas and data auto-populate from a very large (unfinished) database and continue to deal with the raw data or find an already existing solution that is much more elegant and visual in nature.

Any ideas?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 02:20 PM
    The only way I know for sure, you are going to get software like this is custom made to your specific requirements, and that being said, you would have to contact a software company.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2012, 04:05 PM
    Web developer here. Considering the core of your desired application is just a scheduler, your best option is to find (and if all else fails, create) a web interface for Google Calendar.

The extra data you require would be strored in the Description field of Google Calendar's events as JSON.
    [CODE=JSON]
    {
    "name": "John Smith",
    "company": "Foobar Inc.",
    "company_phone": 5559029983,
    "phone": 5559903302
    }[/CODE]
    JSON is an ideal storage format because the information you want to store is simple and JSON is understood by every programming language out there. There is no need to create or an adapt an old database to store this data. I used to think there should be a database for everything, until I started using cloud services. Database programming is becoming a thing of the past.

Also, Google Calendar has a RESTful API, so, third party applications can query and manipulate calendar data.

Like I said, find a web application by searching Google for "open source interfaces to Google Calendar". I guarantee that in the past someone had the same needs as you do now.

Don't reinvent the wheel by coding an ad hoc scheduler and don't use VBA script... it just sucks.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 04:59 PM
    So, you are saying Slap that this is not a job for a special application designed by a tech? Because it is my experience that any scheduling procedures, moving people around, products, or whatever require a special application.

Just asking. I am not all that unfamiliar with scheduling applications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to create a currency converting software in Visual Basic 2010? [ 4 Answers ]

How to create a currency converter in Visual Basic Express 2010? I want the code for that. I want to convert at least 10 currencies. Please save as .txt and upload through mediafire and please submit me the link! I would be very thankful if anyone would help me out. Thanks in advance

Business Accounting Software [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me names of the three great software packages that are hitting today's market in Business Accounting ?

What is the best Scheduling Software out there for Home Care Agency? [ 0 Answers ]

What is the best Scheduling Software out there for Home Care Agency?

Good business software [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody! First of all, would like to say "It's great to be here!" anyway, back to what I was really looking for, are there any suggestions to any good business software? Something that is really reliable not like those "other" ones that claim to be good while in fact they are totally NOT...

View more questions Search