Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xIrishGirlx Posts: 62, Reputation: -1

Dec 6, 2012, 01:24 PM
    Suicidal, No Money for Therapist
    I've been needing counseling for a decade, but I don't have the funds. I've talked with different doctors about Sliding Scale payments and they were still too steep for my near-nonexistent income.

I've been at the end of my rope for some time, just hanging by a thread, really. The scary part: I'm not afraid to

I'm trying to gain some emotional and mental stability. I'm wondering how I can get the help I need without that green stuff that fuels the world.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 02:23 PM
    All depends what country you live in; I am assuming the UK where socialized healthcare is available, same as here in Canada. My husband has managed to access several free counselling services that are funded by the government, but I don't know if you can where you happen to be.

The problem is, people who need these services with no money down are not willing to do the footwork to find the resources they need; all it takes really is a computer and a telephone, and I know you have one of these.

Dec 6, 2012, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    All depends what country you live in; I am assuming the UK where socialized healthcare is available, same as here in Canada. My husband has managed to access several free counselling services that are funded by the government, but i dont know if you can't where you are.
    I'm in the Pacific NW of the US.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 02:31 PM
    Call your county's human services department to connect with a social worker or counselor who will operate on a sliding scale based on your available funds. Many priests and ministers will counsel for free and may ask for a donation to their congregation as you are able (and they won't browbeat you into joining). I'm surprised agencies can't work something out with you. Call Catholic Charities (I used to work for them) or Lutheran Social Services for sliding-scale counseling information. If all else fails, call the reference department at your local library and ask your question about counseling you can afford. Those librarians know stuff!

Let me know how this goes. I'm a counselor (and retired librarian :D) and want the best for you.
    Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 02:32 PM
    Then Wondergirl is the person with all the resources to put you in touch, or explain how to. I will send her a message with a link and you will surely see her in this thread.

Tick
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Then Wondergirl is the person with all the resources to put you in touch, or explain how to. I will send her a message with a link and you will surely see her in this thread.

tick
    Yo, tick --

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm on it already like a warm fleece blanket.

Dec 6, 2012, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Call your county's human services department to connect with a social worker or counselor who will operate on a sliding scale based on your available funds. Many priests and ministers will counsel for free and may ask for a donation to their congregation as you are able (and they won't browbeat you into joining). I'm surprised agencies can't work something out with you. Call Catholic Charities (I used to work for them) or Lutheran Social Services for sliding-scale counseling information. If all else fails, call the reference department at your local library and ask your question about counseling you can afford. Those librarians know stuff!

Let me know how this goes. I'm a counselor (and retired librarian :D) and want the best for you.
    Thanks a ton! This is all the information I needed. I will definitely update when and if I find something. :)
    Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 02:36 PM
    Yo, yes, saluting as marching by Wondergirl :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xIrishGirlx View Post
    Thanks a ton! This is all the information I needed. I will definitely update when and if I find something. :)
    Thanks! I will be waiting!
    Bentley2012 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2012, 08:49 PM
    Sometimes when people are contemplating suicide... they don't even have the energy to go beyond asking the question... You probably feel as though you did your duty to yourself to ask someone for help... and someone should help you, right here.
    I WISH I was a professional... but I can listen.
    My husband committed suicide 6 months ago. I have done a lot of research... and I know exactly how you are feeling. Sometimes.. you just need someone to listen and rationalize. Sometimes rationalization, is not real anymore. PLEASE, before you do anything, at all... if you feel even the least bit questionable... No matter how difficult it may be, find the energy in yourself to get help IMMEDIATELY. PLEASE do not allow yourself to detach from your loved ones. THIS is where your responsibility is. YOU ARE responsible for what you leave them with. PLease love them enough, to put their feelings FIRST. Call a close friend, relative, priest, anyone you can... just DON't give up on yourself... You have others to worry for.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
    I just wanted to tell you that if you are feeling suicidal, I would go to the emergency room right away. They can admit you to a mental health unit to take care of your immediate crisis and can also get you enrolled in a medical assistance program and connect you with county resources. I recommend this only because getting enrolled can be time consuming and if you are feeling suicidal, you could get very frustrated with that process. If you appear at an emergency room and tell them you are suicidal, they must provide you treatment and while you're in there, the rest can be worked out for your long term care.

It's great that you know you need help. Just keep reminding yourself that you probably have clinical depression which is a chemical imbalance in your brain and when it happens, you are not thinking right about yourself. Focus on keeping yourself safe and getting yourself where you can get help.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 02:04 AM
    In the sticky at the top of this forum I have included a site that will give you online help. I have used them in the past before and they can help. If you are suicidal please call 911 or go to your local emergency room.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for a speech therapist [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am a man about 28 years old. I am a stutterer,so I am looking for a speech therapist. Whoever knows speech therapist doctor, please tell me. I live in Riyadh; therefore, I am interested in someone who is in Riyadh.

Do I need to see a psychologist/therapist? [ 14 Answers ]

You may think I'm a worthless human being after reading this, maybe I am. I don't like that I am this way, but it's been how I have been for the longest time. I've told a few other people about these things, but they say "boo hoo, the whole teased at school routine, get over it" I may get that...

I need to see a therapist [ 4 Answers ]

I Hate me, I hate the person that I am. I Never liked me. I want to like me but how can I like me when No one else does. I am a 52 year old mother of 2. Married to a wonderful Man of 30 years. I have felt like this for most of those years. But I hide it very well. My husband knows that I am...

What if I have a therapist but still cut [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 14 and I convinced my parents that I needed a therapist for anger problems hoping that it help me stop cutting. But every time I go I end up feeling empty afterwards and going home and cutting myself. My parents don't know that I cut and I don't really want to tell them the therapy is not...

View more questions Search