Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harleybuddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2012, 10:36 AM
    Pooping and peeing on the dining room table?
    My Bischon has just started to poop and pee on the dining room table at night. She has full access to her litter pan, which is cleaned everyday and is able to sleep in our bed as she always has. She has a room of her own with her food and water. She is 4 years old and is up to date on all shots and vet checks. We are confused as this is the second time.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 10:46 AM
    Do you take her out for walks and have a potty word?

She uses a litter pan like a cat? This has been successful so far -- and for how long?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 6, 2012, 06:39 PM
    Litter pan? A bichon is a dog, not a cat or rabbit. Why is your dog using a litter pan?

How the heck is a bichon getting up on the dining room table? Are the human beings in the home not pushing in their chairs and denying her access? Who's in charge here? Sounds like the dog is.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2012, 09:57 AM
    I would take your dog in for a vet check immediately. It sounds like your dog is trying to tell you something. Let's rule out medical issues first. Take a stool sample with you.

The second idea that pops into my mind is a behavioral issue. Has anything changed in your home lately? For instance, is there a new baby, new furniture, change in marital situation, a new pet, change of type of litter, etc. If so, your pup is seeking assurance in their position in the household and needs additional attention (positive). In addition training should start back at square one immediately. Pretend she is a new puppy and start from there. Also, don't allow her to have the upper hand at anything. If you say "sit" and she doesn't, gently make her. Ensure that she follows you out of the door, not leads and eats AFTER you do. This will help her to remember that you are boss, not her.

Remove the ability to get on the table as well. If she is moving the chairs, pull them farther from the table. That's an easy fix, but she may choose another spot to go. I really do think you need to rule out a medical problem first.

Finally, she should be crated at night at the very least. Give her positive attention for good behaviors and no negative enforcement for the "bad". Love her lots, but don't treat her as if she is more special that you are.

Best of luck to you and please let us know how things go!

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a dining room table that needs refurbished... Any help? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dining room table that is 40 years or more old. I absolutely love it and would love to get it refurbished. I accidentally broke two of the legs off. I also have a old china hutch that's about the same age, and it needs refurbished as well. I think it was handmade. Does anyone know...

Do I have an antique or collectible dining room table [ 2 Answers ]

Was in the house when I moved in but can't find anythign about it. Where is it from? How old? What's it called?

Monteverde Young Dining Room Table [ 19 Answers ]

I would like to list a MonteVerde Young dining room table for sale and would like some help with pricing. The table is a 48" Hexagon in mint condition and presently is in Manhattan. I have attached a photo of the table.

Selling Stickley dining room table? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Stickley dining room table. On the sticker on the dining table it reads Cherry Valley Stickley Fayette Ville NY. I want to sell this table but have no idea what it would sell for. I do know it was refinished at one time... still looks good now I'm not going to sell the chairs just the...

View more questions Search