Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Theresa243 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Phone land line required?
    I just rented half of a house. There are no phone jacks or phone lines installed. I bought an expensive 'smart tv' in order to avoid cable, and wanted to use wireless internet instead. Start up of the internet, and my home phone require a phone line. The landlord has no intentions of adding one. Are there laws/requirements that state that the landlord should install a phone line for me? Or is this something I'll have to pay for myself?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 4, 2012, 03:22 PM
    Landlord not required to provide landlines, now that everyone prefers to have cell phones for that service. Yes, you will have to pay for it yourself and get his permission to do it seeing as it requires drilling.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2012, 06:26 PM
    While I don't disagree with tickle, I'm wondering what Internet service requires a landline.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2012, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scottgem View Post
    while i don't disagree with tickle, i'm wondering what internet service requires a landline.
    Dsl ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 03:24 AM
    Yes, dsl
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2012, 04:07 AM
    OK, DSL requires connection to the TelCo's nearest Central Station, but not necessarily a phone line. The connection yes, not the service.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 5, 2012, 04:45 AM
    Even before cell phones there was never a law anywhere that I know of that ever required a landlord to provide phone jacks or phone lines to the building.

I had an apartment for just a few months last year, and my upstairs neighbors let me pay them a bit each month to use their internet (they gave me the code) and let me share physical cable for TV.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2012, 04:54 AM
    But it cannot be added without permission of the owner, get it in writing, or you could be liable for holes drilled, and so on
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2012, 07:14 AM
    Not sure where the code is, but believe a dwelling is required to have at least 1 Phone Jack?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2012, 07:31 AM
    Found this for California,
    Rent Watch: Landlord must pay for a usable phone jack - Los Angeles Times
    I believe it is for ALL States, If not, it should be, For Safety, the Elderly, whatever.
    Who ever builds a house with NO Phone jack, Is not a bright as they think they are, or super cheap.
    A Phone Jack and wire cost less than $10.
    I have had 1 customer not wanting Phone Jacks, I installed it for free, so if the House is sold, The new owner won't be Screwed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Land line phone number questions [ 5 Answers ]

I have been receiving wrong number calls on my land line phone for a year now. Its been a problem but now that I'm home full time its become a daily issues. I sometimes get 5 calls a day. I finally decided to research and found that the callers are getting a number that is listed for ADT...

I only have a land line phone and no cell phone how can I see when someone is calling [ 3 Answers ]

When I'm on the computer I can't receive my calls because I have dial up for my computer

Land phone repairwhat to do when the phone line from phone needs a new plg [ 2 Answers ]

Why isn't my modular plug working from my phone

Land line phone commands [ 1 Answers ]

Hi simple for some I know but the thing is I cannot remember how to forward a land line phone to another land line phone forinstance in an office where one person is leaving so forwards his phone to someone else's until removed if someone does know that would be great. Also if they do if they could...

I need a Yahoo land line phone # for zip 31721 [ 1 Answers ]

Yahoo local # for zip 31721/31701

View more questions Search