Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    travelgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 12:28 PM
    A felon who wants to travel
    I am a felon. I did HARD time in the Illinois penal system for being a middle man in a drug deal! I was told I had to pay my debt to society, this debt cost me 7 years of my life! I'm thinking I'm all paid up. But this my friends is the debt that is never paid!

I am older and wiser now but still paying! I would like to travel to Australia, Europe and a few other places before I die. Does anyone know of a list of countries that will allow a visit, I'm not asking them to let me live there or work there I just want to travel and see the sites like any other normal human being.

Any help would be appreciated,

TG
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
    I don't think your problem will be the country refusing you entry, you may be denied a passport if you apply for one and you can't travel to europe without a passport.
    ibrake4antelope Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by travelgirl
    I am a felon. I did HARD time in the Illinois penal system for being a middle man in a drug deal! I was told I had to pay my debt to society, this debt cost me 7 years of my life! I'm thinking i'm all paid up. But this my friends is the debt that is never paid!

I am older and wiser now but still paying! I would like to travel to Australia, Europe and a few other places before I die. Does anyone know of a list of countries that will allow a visit, I'm not asking them to let me live there or work there i just want to travel and see the sites like any other normal human being.

Any help would be appreciated,

TG
    Being a felon doesn't ALWAYS preclude you from obtaining a travel visa. You can look on the governments website for this information specifically. But.. I did some research for a friend who has a felony on his record (for theft, about 12 years ago) and he applied and was granted a travel visa. He recently travelled under the new laws requiring a passport to go to Mexico. So.. check it out. What I found was that VIOLENT felons are usually NOT granted the visa but many others still are. Hope you are able to get yours!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 12:12 AM
    Being a convicted felon in the United States does not prevent you from getting a passport. But, that is up to the agency issuing the passport.

Try Passport Home

Whether you can enter another country or not is up to that country. For instance, if you have been convicted of a felony, you are not permitted to enter Canada until five years after the conviction.

Don't know the answers on other countries.
    misslang1950 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
    I've tried everyone from embassies to consulates to home offices and this is the best I could find to travel to the UK for convicted felons:

I have been trying to find out if my past felony conviction would pose a problem for my traveling to England with my wife this fall. This morning I received the following response from Public Enquiries [K], UKvisas, London SW1A 2AH (Home UKvisas)

Paragraph 320(18) of the Immigration Rules requires that admission to the UK should normally be refused if the traveller has been convicted of an offence in any country which, if committed in the UK, would be punishable by imprisonment of 12 months or more.
    The Home Office may exercise discretion if there are compassionate or exceptional circumstances involved. Some offences may also be considered to be 'spent', after a period, under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (see Chapter 26 Annex 3 UKvisas for details). A visa application will not be refused under this paragraph of the Immigration Rules if the applicant's conviction is so considered 'spent'.
    To pursue this matter further, the person concerned should contact their nearest UK visa-issuing office (address at www.ukvisas.gov.uk/missions).
    I went to the website for the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and found the following explanation:
    SENTENCE: An order of conditional discharge, bound over to keep the peace, be of good behaviour or a probation order
    REHABILITATION PERIOD: One year or when the order ceased to have effect, whichever is the longer.

The long website listed above has a chart for a range of circumstances.

I'm also trying to get information on travel to Italy, with even worse luck; I was told to contact the Italian Border Police, but my inability to speak/read Italian has been an obstacle there.

Anyone know anything definitive about either Britain or Italy?
    eallison Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Being a convicted felon in the United States does not prevent you from getting a passport. But, that is up to the agency issuing the passport.

Try Passport Home

Whether you can enter another country or not is up to that country. For instance, if you have been convicted of a felony, you are not permitted to enter Canada until five years after the conviction.

Don't know the answers on other countries.
    First he did not ask you about canada and if you do not know the real answer why reply? YOu need me to buy you a can of common sense?
    Uber Member

May 14, 2008, 01:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by eallison
    First he did not ask you about canada and if you do not know the real answer why reply? YOu need me to buy you a can of common sense?
    Hello, eallison!

Number 1. Since you have just been critical and disparaging of me in your post, would you mind explaining howyour post was a real answer to the original poster, travelgirl's question which is now over a year old, in case you didn't notice?

Number 2. The original poster, travelgirl, did not name all of the other places where she would like to travel but rather alluded to the desire to other places than those named, and was looking for examples of laws as to the regulation of a felon entering a foreign country. I gave an example of the law concerning one country which possibly might be a country that she would like to enter someday.

Number 3. I would think that it would probably be safe to assume that travelgirl is a female and not a male, since you have already referred to her as a "he."

Number 4. I would strongly suggest that if you would like to continue on this site, that you do not disparage other members as you have done to me in your post. If in doubt about that, then please see the information on the following link concerning the rules of this site.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/faq.ph...#faq_faq_rules

Thank you!
    sam_and_marty Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Jan 22, 2010, 11:38 AM

Dear travelgirl, (personally, I feel it should not matter who travels where if you paid your dept to society)

But did someone ever finally give you the answer that you needed about travel to Europe with a felony? If so can you please enlighten me regarding travel to UK or anywhere else in Europe? If you can please reply to (sam_and_marty(at)yahoo)
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2010, 02:33 PM
    Just so people know who continue to post on this thread...

It's now really old and archived and so, not generally visible unless someone happens to go to this forum topic area, or is notified because there's activity on it because the person being notified has already posted on it.

If you have a new question or even comments that might work for starting a thread, please do start a new thread so that what you write it will get noticed and recognized as being your own, on the current, daily list.

Thanks!
    sam_and_marty Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Jan 23, 2010, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_and_marty View Post
    Dear travelgirl, (personally, I feel it should not matter who travels where if you paid your dept to society)

but did someone ever finally give you the answer that you needed about travel to Europe with a felony? If so can you please enlighten me regarding travel to UK or anywhere else in Europe? If you can please reply to (sam_and_marty1(at)yahoo)
    (next day){sorry, my email address is sam_and_marty1(at)yahoo for anyone who wants to reply. Thank you very much
    belfob62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2010, 10:18 AM
    I have a partner who was convicted and did 2 years for a drug conspiracy 19 years ago. Since that person has traveled to Canada with me in 96, 98, and 2003. Just need to bring passport or drivers license and birth certificate. I witnessed this and it was no hassle. As for moving there I am not sure of those details but have researched the Canadian immigration website. From cursory view it looks as if they are considered on a case by case basis, with nature of conviction/crime, and how long ago, and purpose for moving there (i.e. school, investing in business, work... etc).
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2010, 11:22 AM
    Just so people know who continue to post on this thread...

It's now very old and archived. So, it's not generally visible unless someone happens to visit the forum topic area where it's located or is notified that there's activity on the thread because they've already posted on it.

If you have a new question or even want to start some sort of discussion, it would be best if you would start a new thread with the new question or comments if you would like for them to get noticed the most.

Thanks!
    mark3194 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Mar 11, 2011, 04:15 PM
    The Schengen agreement is a treaty between 25 European countries such as Germany,Italy,France... that allows free movement from one country to another agreement country for foreigners. Get into one you can get into the other 24. They affix a special stamp to your passport. To see a full list of Schengen countries Google it
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2011, 12:40 PM
    If you read the entire thread you will see that it's so old it is archived. Please keep an eye on the dates.

I question whether it is appropriate to post information about how to circumvent the UK's visa/travel policy.
    Lindsaybear28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2011, 08:16 AM
    I took a ferry to canada well vancover from sanjuan island, aka Friday harbor wich is about hour car ride from srattle to anticortis a hour ferry ride to Friday harbor then about two hour ferry ride from Friday harbor to vancover canada, and they diddent ask me anything we all just walked off ferry into canada.
    Lindsaybear28 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2011, 08:29 AM
    Hi my names lindsay! Im a felon also, well I lived on a island calld Friday harbor, sajuan island rilly! But its in us. Anyway I took a ferry to vancover canada from Friday harbor to vancover, wich is about two hour ferry ride and everybody just walked off the ferry, no questions, passports anything, right into vancover canada! They did have a dog I guess to maby smell drugs. But it's a hour car ride from seattle to anticortis then hour ferry ride from anticortis to Friday harbor then two hour ferry ride to vancover canada! Only cuple hundred bucks with gas and ferrys. If you get to seattle Washington. But we walked off, but people drove off ferry too and wernt stopped. Got a hotel chilled and then went back no prob too!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
    This is an old thread and should be closed. There are more recent questions on the same subject which could use your input.

At any rate - here is an explanation of Canadian Law:

"To begin, in Canada a DUI is a felony and therefore an excludable offense under the Immigration Act. A DUI is an indictable offense in Canada that may be punished by imprisonment for up to a 5 year term.

Anyone with a conviction in the United States that is treated as a felony or indictable offense in Canada is excludable from Canada, but even if the offense is not a felony or indictable offense in Canada, Customs and Immigration Officers have ultimate authority to permit and deny entry to Canada." Traveling to Canada

It's on a case-by-case review. I am, however, ex-US Customs and I'm amazed there was no security at the Canadian border. I was in Vancouver in August and I was required to show my passport.

I'm going to see how Canadian Immigration explains this situation.
    WuSs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
    Looks like you're the one that needs common sense. He said "for instance"... as in "for example". You might want to make sure you're not the one who ends up looking like a fool before you try to make someone else look like one. FOOL!
    toscani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 04:30 PM
    Can you get into Australia if you're a felon?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can A Felon Be Bonded [ 11 Answers ]

Can a person with a felony conviction that occurred over 45 years ago be bonded. The conviction did not have anything to do with theft.

What do I go to college for as a felon? [ 9 Answers ]

I am almost 23 and a felon... I've been working dead end labor jobs for the past 4 and a half years and decided I want to go college to make more money because I can't survive now on my own with what I make a year... so my question is what can I go to school to study for that will overall give me a...

Trafficking and felon [ 1 Answers ]

I am asking this for a person who owns a Billiards /restaurant club in a small town. The police came in saying someone has said they bought POT there and ask who sold it ,they all said no one.The police ask if they had a restroom and went in it,came out saying he found a baggy with residue of...

Convicted Felon [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a convicted felon. I would like to marry my boyfriend that is not a native or a resident of the united States. Is there a waiting period for me to file for his residency?

View more questions Search